PDA

View Full Version : Quick Releases. . . . Illegal?

itsflantastic
06-11-2007, 04:30 PM
http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070611/NEWS/70611009

say what?!

gdw
06-11-2007, 04:34 PM
New Jersey, need I say more? :rolleyes:

Grant McLean
06-11-2007, 04:51 PM
http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070611/NEWS/70611009

say what?!

I don't think it makes any difference if you leave a nutted axle undone or a q/r open.

We get departement store bikes in for service all the time with pedals that
have fallen off becuase nobody tightened them up during so called "assembly",
and wheel nuts only finger tight.

This "ban q/r" thinking is so nearsighted, it's laughable. If they just sued the
crap out of box stores for the real lack of quality assembly, they'd get
out of the bike biz, leaving it to people in shops who care about what they're
selling, the problem would be solved.

I guess there is some irony in the fact that all the kool kids ride track bikes
with nutted hub fixed gears... but no brakes...

g

chuckred
06-11-2007, 05:03 PM
must be the only ones who've ever been on a bike.

I wonder how many accidents happen in a year due to quickreleases?

I guess now you can add another job for the gas station attendants in Jersey - they can change your flats for you as well!

Ahneida Ride
06-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Big Brother always knows best .... !!!

You are just tooooo stupid to think for yourself.

rinconryder
06-11-2007, 05:27 PM
That is just absurd. What idiots.

vandeda
06-11-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't think it makes any difference if you leave a nutted axle undone or a q/r open.

g

I co-worker (my lead engineer actually) only had the nuts on his front axle finger tight. His day came when his front wheel fell off and he face planted. He got away fairly easy. Some scratches to his face and a broken tooth. Looked like he got beat up, but was relatively uninjured.

So yeah, you can easily screw up both.

39cross
06-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Let's ban shoelaces too...I hear you can trip over them if you forget to tie them.

djg
06-11-2007, 06:53 PM
It's not funny. Quick release skewers have killed me, like, three times. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

That's all I'm sayin'

sspielman
06-12-2007, 06:33 AM
Big Brother always knows best .... !!!

You are just tooooo stupid to think for yourself.

I wish Big Brother had protected me from external bearing BB's and clinchers....

sspielman
06-12-2007, 06:35 AM
I co-worker (my lead engineer actually) only had the nuts on his front axle finger tight. His day came when his front wheel fell off and he face planted. He got away fairly easy. Some scratches to his face and a broken tooth. Looked like he got beat up, but was relatively uninjured.

So yeah, you can easily screw up both.

Was he also the lead engineer for the Ford Pinto Project?...maybe trained at GM during the Corvair years?

97CSI
06-12-2007, 07:02 AM
Believe our next step here in the land-of-the-less-free is to limit bike purchases to one-per-month after approved registration. After all.......they are so dangerous.

Kevan
06-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Seatbelts for bicycles!

Ahneida Ride
06-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Seatbelts for bicycles!

Helmets in cars !!!!!!!

Bruce K
06-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Careful, the next thing you know they will be requiring full face helmets and HANS devices (Head And Neck restraint System) for cyclists like they use in auto racing.

BK

deechee
06-12-2007, 09:09 AM
from cbs (http://cbs3.com/topstories/local_story_162204341.html)

"Lawmakers said they are prone to accidents. Under the bill, it would be illegal to sell bicycles with quick-release wheels if the bicycle has a front wheel less than 20 inches in diameter.

Assemblyman Paul Moriarty, a Democrat from Gloucester, said the bill mainly targets children's bicycles."

Onno
06-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Hmmm. Suddenly sounds less stupid, doesn't it? I'm sure there are plenty of silly government regulations, but there are plenty that are supremely sensible.

michael white
06-12-2007, 09:24 AM
from cbs (http://cbs3.com/topstories/local_story_162204341.html)

"Lawmakers said they are prone to accidents. Under the bill, it would be illegal to sell bicycles with quick-release wheels if the bicycle has a front wheel less than 20 inches in diameter.

Assemblyman Paul Moriarty, a Democrat from Gloucester, said the bill mainly targets children's bicycles."

I've bought a few kid's bikes, 12 and 16 inches, but they didn't have qr's. I'd like to hear from lbs guys: do your kid's bikes have qr's?

deechee
06-12-2007, 09:34 AM
I dunno. I saw a 10-12 year old girl riding a full tripped out road bike (Argon I think) with drop bars, brifters the works over the weekend. I doubt that bike had bolts on its wheels...

rwsaunders
06-12-2007, 10:29 AM
When our current Governor of Pennsylvania was elected, one of his first legislative achievements (a campaign platform issue believe it or not) was to overturn the requirement to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle. It would seem that there are more pressing matters required of our elected officials, other than simply seeking re-election.

Grant McLean
06-12-2007, 10:53 AM
I've bought a few kid's bikes, 12 and 16 inches, but they didn't have qr's. I'd like to hear from lbs guys: do your kid's bikes have qr's?

you are correct sir, a 20" wheel q/r bike would not be common.

g

vandeda
06-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Was he also the lead engineer for the Ford Pinto Project?...maybe trained at GM during the Corvair years?

Frequently, the smarter they get, the lower the common sense. The ability to crank out equations, calculations and understand abstract theories by no means one has mechanical abilities (yeah, I would say that "mechanical" engineer can be a misnomer). Many many engineers can't turn a wrench .... they don't need to nor ever will need to.