PDA

View Full Version : Sidi Ergo 1 and 2 shoes

saab2000
06-11-2007, 04:11 PM
The end of the life of my Time shoes is probably in sight. I hope to get through the rest of this season on them but then they will probably have to be retired. The shoes I am considering are the Sidi Ergo 2. They are spendy though!! But what I have read about them is positive and I know that Sidis work for my feet. I have had them before with no issues. There will be a period of adjustment after years on Times, but I am sure I can adjust.

Along with this, I am thinking strongly of trying the Dura-Ace PD-7810. This seems like the pedal to beat nowadays, especially in its revised form.

Who can give a good review of the Sidi shoes?

How 'bout the Shimano 7810 pedal? It has been slightly revised with a larger contact platform and supposedly even a mm or so lower stack height.

What's the scoop?

Delpo
06-11-2007, 04:19 PM
I have been using the Sidi Ergo 1's for a few months now and find them and incredible combination of weight, comfort, and power transfer. The fit is impressive and the best I can say for them is that you forget about them.

Delpo

Moosedryvr
06-11-2007, 04:26 PM
+1 for Sidi Ergo 1s.
If Sidis work for your feet, these are awesome shoes. Seriously, they are slipper comfortable, yet provide a solid, stiff platform for pedaling. I am constantly on the e-bay hunt for another new pair in my size so I'll have a backup when the current pair wear out (which thanks to all the replaceable parts should be a long time).

Shawn G.

saab2000
06-11-2007, 04:30 PM
+1 for Sidi Ergo 1s.
If Sidis work for your feet, these are awesome shoes. Seriously, they are slipper comfortable, yet provide a solid, stiff platform for pedaling. I am constantly on the e-bay hunt for another new pair in my size so I'll have a backup when the current pair wear out (which thanks to all the replaceable parts should be a long time).

Shawn G.

Moosdryver - did you get my PM that one time about the flying?

Bittersweet
06-11-2007, 04:35 PM
I have the "new" version of the Ultegra pedal (same as DA but with lower quality bearings) I ordered new plastic plates for my old ones but they are back ordered and my knee was killing me. Excessive wear may have rendered them dead anyway as I was well into the Alu body. New ones do have a slightly larger platform and now have a metal friction plate. From a user standpoint they seem the same as the prior version which I think is good. If they wear out slower and there is less rocking due to a larger platform that would be a bonus. I recommend them.

zap
06-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Sidi Ergo 1 (w/keo's) user for 3+ years and Genius (now with 77(8)00) user for quite some time. The shoes fit great. I can't tell the difference between these shoes or pedals when riding hard. However, I will not be surprised if the bearings on the Shimano pedals last longer.

One minor issue with the Ergo is that the whatchamacallit tightening thingy in position #2 needs attention (oil) every once in a while since sweat and resulting corrosion will prevent this mechanism from working properly.

If I were looking for a top end Sidi road shoe now, I would purchase the Genius 6.6 with two conventional yet reliable straps.

Moosedryvr
06-12-2007, 05:35 AM
Moosdryver - did you get my PM that one time about the flying?

Jim,
I did, thanks. The three airlines you listed are at the top of my list, too. Louisville would be tops for me as a domicile (family nearby, nice riding, etc.), but we'll see. I'm still around two years from my AF retirement, so lots of time for things to change in the airline industry (age 65, etc.). Hopefully things will shake themselves out in the next year or so. I need to get a job w/Gulfstream up in Appleton, what a great town!
Did you ever decide on the Swissair offer? I'd love to live in Europe, but know little more about the Euro airline scene than that. Nice to have choices though.
When things slow down here lets try to get together for a ride. Until then, all the best!

Shawn G.

stevep
06-12-2007, 06:30 AM
sidis are the best shoes.
by a mile.
or, for you saab.. by 1.5 k.

slinkywizard
06-12-2007, 07:35 AM
I have had them for half a year or so and love `em! bought them used of ebay for 120$. Buying used might sound nasty, but they really were practically new and is has been one of my best upgrades sofar! Light, comfortable, nice and stiff, well ventilated etc. I use them with speedplay zeros.

Climb01742
06-12-2007, 08:36 AM
i always thought sidi had the most comfortable upper by far but for me, their sole felt a bit flexy. shimano r215's sole feels more substantial. but now i'm intrigued by the sidi 6.6 and it's stiffer sole.

Bruce K
06-12-2007, 09:02 AM
I have both Sidi Ergo 1's and the new Ergo 2's.

I always liked the fit of the Ergo 1 with the exception that I couldn't get my heel to stay put without really cranking down on the instep band, which usually led to some "pins and needles" after an hour or two.

Many other cycling shoes either didn't fit my lower foot as well or had the same issues but worse.

The new Ergo 2 with the heel bolster seems to have solved the problem. While I only have about 300 miles on the shoes so far, it seems as if I don't have to tighten them as much to get a good, comfortable feeling.

The sole is also noticably stiffer (at least to my foot) as well.

Just my $.02

BK

Avispa
06-12-2007, 10:00 AM
I have used Sidi's almost as soon as I started riding.... Today, I have the Ergo 1 and 2's in my cycling wardrobe. My Ergo 1s are more beat up and have become my "rain" shoes now....

I can't tell the difference between the Ergo 1 or 2 aside from that little heel support that they've added for this year, which by the way has made me go down half to one full size... I have smaller heels I guess. But I've also noticed that this is depending on the color of the shoe! Yeah, the color!

I have noticed that Sidi's "iridescent" covers (the silvers or the new "Simoni" whites) tend to stretch after a few uses, so in order to keep the same snug fit, I have to use a smaller shoe. The new (late 2006 onward) carbon sole is great, however. They have it on most of their top of the line shoes now. The Ergo, the Genius, etc.

However, one bad thing I have found is that the Tecno buckle, on the Ergo 2 especially, has not been as durable. I've had two fail on me so far; luckily Sidi has been kind enough to send them, no charge as warraty. This is one reason I will be trying the Genius 6.6 soon, these have two Velcro straps vs the tecno buckle AND a strap. I will see how much micro adjustment one can do on those... If they are good, I will not use the Ergo 2's anymore.

Hey Saab... or anyone interested here... If you are size 44 or 43.5, I will give you a deal on Sidis! PM me...

A. ;)

terrytnt
06-12-2007, 10:24 AM
This is a timely post.

I just purchased Sidi Genius 6.6 ONE WEEK AGO. My LBS's relationship with the Sidi rep got me these shoes after waiting 6 weeks.

I chose the 6.6 over the Ergo 2 because I didn't think the techno buckle was worth the extra price and prefered the velcro and standard buckle. I was told by the Sidi rep (who I met personally) that the ONLY difference between the 2 shoes was the buckle.

I have a narrow foot (A) and average length. The 45cm Genius 6.6 was a perfect fit. Have logged about 150 miles on the new shoes and they're amazing!!! Like someone said above, you don't even notice you're wearing shoes. Expensive investment, but clearly the closest experience to hand-man shoes (so I hear). Also like the feature (like my Campy group) that all Sidi's are rebuildable. Assume you foot fits Sidi... a very worthwhile investment. I strongly recommend.

LOVE THIS SHOE! :banana:

mcteague
06-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Are you guys using the stock Sidi insole or replacing it? I am getting a pair of Genius 5s and my old Dominator 2s had a very thin insole. I'm thinking of the Sole Slim Sport heat moldable model. http://www2.yoursole.com/products/footbeds/slim/sport

Tim McTeague

zap
06-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Specialized Body geo insoles.

terrytnt
06-12-2007, 02:58 PM
1+ for the specialized body geo insoles. Didn't even think twice about using the way too thin Sidi insoles, not to mention I benefit from getting some additional arch support from the Specialized. Think this is important consideration when you invest 150 miles per week.

Bruce K
06-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Custom orthotics for cycling in mine.

Interestingly, I have the same size 1's and 2's and was sort of thinking the 2's felt a little longer but thought it was my imagination. They fit fine, just a little roomier in the toe.

BK