PDA

View Full Version : First Century and a Thanks

Firenze
06-11-2007, 04:02 PM
I am a long time lurker and another old guy on a bike. This is by way of thank you to all on this board who have shared their opinions and wisdom. By “listening” and searching I have learned a great deal from you over the last year. So here is my thank you ride report.

Last September I purchased a 2006 Litespeed Firenze. At the time my goal was to reach the end of a trail near my house and get back, about 20 miles. I couldn’t make more than ten miles at the time but a boy needs a dream.

This weekend I rode my first century, the Apple Century in Wenatchee WA. It is an out and back route with 20 miles of flat, 30 miles of mostly up, 2600+, and then of course 30 miles mostly down. The middle 20 miles or so is on rough chip seal. It was pouring rain for the middle 60 miles with the temp at the top in the low 60’s. My time was 6hrs and 46 minutes.

The all ti bike plus carbon fiber bars (FSA k-wings) made the chip seal easily bearable even at 30 mph +. The Brooks Swallow caused no pain at all. In fact, other than a bit of hand numbness I felt fine the whole way.

The folks of the Sunshine Rotary, the hosts, did a great job and the scenery along the Columbia River and in the mountains was just terrific.

So again, thanks for all of your posts. I suspect that there a lot of lurkers out here who have learned as much or more than I have from all of you who post.

Arch

Karin Kirk
06-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Congrats Arch!

That's a great success story, kudos to you for setting goals and making them happen. That sounds like a great ride you had. I bet you're feeling on top of the world just about now!

This is yet another nice example of the benefits of this online community. :)

Ray
06-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Way to go Arch! Finishing your first century is a great great feeling - one of the more satisfying I've had in cycling. People who ride a lot of them tend to forget what a major challenge it is for someone new to the sport and what an accomplishment it represents. I've done a bunch of them over the years and I'm never surprised to finish them anymore, but I've never found one to be 'easy' either - there's always a challenging portion or two.

Keep riding,

-Ray

Bud
06-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Nice job, Arch! Keep on riding... :cool:

Ozz
06-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Well done Arch!

Beautiful area to ride.

dave thompson
06-11-2007, 04:35 PM
I've done the Apple Century a couple of times and it's not easy, particularly with the strong winds that can come whistling down the Columbia River.

Congrats on your first century! And many more.

Now, if you had a Serotta....................... :)

RIHans
06-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Wanted to echo the comments of the others ...And suggest that we would enjoy reading a few more posts! Don't be all shy now Arch!!!
Keep it going.
Hans

rwsaunders
06-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Hats off to you.

Steelhead
06-12-2007, 06:25 AM
Very cool indeed, and that sounds like a tough ride for any century much less the first. Way to go! :)

Erik.Lazdins
06-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Congratulations on your century and the rain makes it more memorable!

Having learned a lot here myself, I appreciated your post.

:beer:

biker222
06-12-2007, 07:54 AM
Congrats Arch on your 1St Century, it is a great feeling knowing that you completed the ride and in a good time. I can still remember my 1st one back in 2004.

This weekend our club is holding the Rideau Lakes Cycle Tour. It is a 2-day event were we bike from Ottawa to Kingston on day 1 and return to Ottawa on day 2. Each day is 177km (110 miles). This ride is put on by the Ottawa Bicycle Club and is open to all. We are expecting 1800 riders for this tour.

Skrawny
06-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Here-here!
-s

Firenze
06-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks all for your kind comments and encouragement. Next is the STP (Seattle to Portland) two days, 204 miles in July.

Dave, I saw a an Ottrott with blue tint carbon when I was at the fitter over the winter (I can still hear it calling to me) – maybe there is a Serotta in my future. The Litespeed is comfortable enough but a bit twitchy for a non racer.

Arch

LilBolt
06-12-2007, 11:24 PM
I also am a lurker who has learned so much by reading & searching this forum. And, I made the Apple Ride my first century this past weekend, too. The weather just added to the challenge and satisfaction of finishing! Next up, Tour de Blast, and then 1 day STP...perhaps a bit ambitious, but I ride with an amazing group of people who keep my confidence up. The support of friends and strangers is what makes this so much fun for me.

Firenze, thanks for starting this thread!

RABikes2
06-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Congratulations Arch and LilBolt! Way to go! :banana:
RA

dave thompson
06-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks all for your kind comments and encouragement. Next is the STP (Seattle to Portland) two days, 204 miles in July.

Dave, I saw a an Ottrott with blue tint carbon when I was at the fitter over the winter (I can still hear it calling to me) – maybe there is a Serotta in my future. The Litespeed is comfortable enough but a bit twitchy for a non racer.

Arch
Arch: Ride a Serotta, any Serotta. I think you will be more than surprised