PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help re: rear hub/wheel

jtaylor8
06-11-2007, 12:52 PM
I have an 05 Felt F65 that has an Alex wheelset (made in China I believe?) I've got about a 1,000 miles on the bike and I weigh 200 lbs. I just took my bike to a local dealer due to loud sounds coming from the hub. I was told that Felt cheaps these pieces out and I can a) rebuild the hub, however, should expect to only get about another 500-1000 miles out of it given the lack of quality and my weight, or b) buy a new wheelset (they recommended an intro Mavic for about $350, and said I should get about 5,000 miles out of them).

Does this sound reasonable? Not sure if they're trying to upsell me or this is actually the case...

TIA

cmg
06-11-2007, 01:23 PM
or you could buy a Mavic open pro/ultegra hubs from colorado cyclist for $250. this would work for you and you can custom select the spokes. Chose a light spoke, DB15, XL15, XL14, Sapim race, revolutions or some light equivelent. Lighter, cheaper and easly repaired, tuned up. refer http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNBR=26608&CGRFNBR=762&CRPCGNBR=762&CI=1,224,333,762&TextMode=0

michael white
06-11-2007, 07:40 PM
totally agree on the open pro wheelset. compare the weight and durability you get on those to anything else within a couple hundred bucks. . . it's what you want. I would just get 14/15 dt spokes unless you have a really good reason not to.

cpgardner
06-11-2007, 07:52 PM
They aren't trying to upsell you...I had those same or similar Alex wheels on my bike when I bought it last year, and they were astoundingly awful in the way you described. One would think that a 30 pound wheelset might at least last a long time by default, but no, these don't.

regularguy412
06-11-2007, 08:55 PM
+1 on the Open Pros

I had over 30,000 miles on a set of Mavic Reflex Clinchers ( similar to the OPs) built on Ultegra hubs with 14/15 DT spokes. Purchased from Colorado Cyclist, I _NEVER_ had to touch them with a spoke wrench. The rear hub finally started making noise, even after my yearly rebuild, so I decided to replace them. OPs are a good all-around rim.

Mike in AR

Peter P.
06-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Before I recommend anything, I'd like to know what's going bad on the wheels-is it the hub or the rim?

If it's the hub then yeah; replace it. "Off brand" hubs will be harder to find parts for. I'm sorta drawing a "preconclusion" that the cassette on your hub is making the racket. Hub bearings, even on cheapo wheels, last a long time regardless of abuse/neglect.

Most bike shops stock replacement cassette bodies for Shimano, which is a plus; just pick one up, install it, and you're back on the road. With the Alex, well...

I don't know the configuration of your Alex wheel, but if it has an uncommon number of spokes, unusual lacing pattern, or non-standard spokes, then that's another reason to ditch them. You want parts that, when they break, you can walk into ANY bike shop and walk out with a replacement.

stevep
06-12-2007, 05:16 AM
heave the wheels and get something decent.

fix them and use them as spares.
you need some extra wheels...
speaking as someone who has probably 20 pr to be prepared for most eventualities.

LesMiner
06-12-2007, 09:24 AM
+1 on the Colorado Cyclist built wheels. They do a great job at getting an even tension so that the wheel is true and perfectly round.

My neighbor had a Felt as well. His problem was not the wheels, but rather the bottom bracket. He was in a race and the left crank arm came off. There he was with the crank arm still attached to his shoe since he was using clipless pedals. Fortunately he was not standing up when the crank arm came off. He came to a stop without any problems. He replaced the bottom bracket with Shimono one to go with the Ultegra and Dura Ace component mix on the bike. No compensation from the bike shop or Felt. You would think with a bike built up with higher quality components the bottom bracket would be at least Ultegra level or better.

deechee
06-12-2007, 09:46 AM
have the Alex Xero wheels on my commuter which came on my gf's stock Giant TCR. Annoying wheels but cheap; I know riding in the rain put the cones in bad shape; but the whole axle is only 10$ so I've replaced it twice already.

cmg
06-12-2007, 10:11 AM
you could also go to the excel site and order a custom wheelset that has different spokes on the drive side for slightly more. refer http://www.excelsports.com/wheel.asp At $350 you have options. the LBS isn't doing anything special. You could also have them just build you a rear wheel not a set. Mavic makes open pro black rims, shimano sells black hubs (?), black spokes are available. Velocity's aerohead rim comes in black, has a taller profile. you don't have buy a set.

jtaylor8
06-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks all for the great advice. Needless to say, the Alex's are going in the garage...

For anyone else that may stumble on this thread regarding ALX wheels (I have the 220s) - after many hours of scouring the forums and reviews, they are simply junk (from 220s to 440s). Literally, maybe 5% offered positive/neutral feedback.

On a pleasant note, off to do more research on new wheels (thanks for the advice on the OPs, etc. - will be checking them all out)...