PDA

View Full Version : Climbing A Steep Hill In my Big Chain Ring

Sandy
06-11-2007, 09:49 AM
I have been doing very little riding except a few easy rides around my neighborhood and area. I decided to try an easy 34 mile bicycle club group ride. I was anxious because of my minimal fitness and concern that I might become very fatigued (a problem that I have).

It was hot (95 degrees when I got home after the ride). With about 10-12 miles left in the ride, I was no longer able to shift into the little chainring (50/34 with 12/27 cassette). With about 5-6 miles left, I became very fatigued and simply wanted to get home. But at about 2 miles from the end of the ride, there is a steep hill that you must climb.

I normally climb the hill starting in my little chainring and slowly shift to lower gears, taking full advantage of my 34/27 as the hill gets steeper towards the top. I figured no way would I be able to climb the hill in my 50/27. I had anticipated having to stop and even walk the bike up the steepest portion of the hill. I decided to simply start in the lowest available gear (50/27) and proceed very slowly, conserving my energy, and climb as much of the hill as possible. As it turned out, I was very pleasantly surprised that my slow, relaxed, and controlled approach to the hill worked and I really didn't find the climb much harder than in using my smaller chainring that I normally do. I found that rather amazing. A 50/27 yields 50 gear inches and a 34/27 yields 34 gear inches which is quite a difference.

I guess it shows me that if you approach a hill, ride within your ability level, try to relax, save energy, be methodical and efficient,....then you could do a lot better than you really think that you are capable.

Looking to climb the Washington Monument next-

Serotta Sandy

gasman
06-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Good on you Sandy !!!

I like hills but always suffer it seems.

CNY rider
06-11-2007, 10:22 AM
All of us punks struggled mightily chasing DK-issimo up the hills this weekend in Saratoga. Where were you when we needed you?!?!?!

Seriously,congrats on getting back on your bike. Enjoy many more good miles. :beer:

Ti Designs
06-11-2007, 02:32 PM
All of us punks struggled mightily chasing DK-issimo up the hills this weekend in Saratoga.

Well maybe not all...

Sandy, you were the one thing missing from the weekend. I would have passed on riding on the front to spend the time working with you.

Kevan
06-11-2007, 02:42 PM
No really...you da beast!!!

That's my pal... good for you. Now go get your bike fixed. Be careful of that 95 degree stuff, it's a killer. Seriously.

Here's to you!

Ray
06-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Looking to climb the Washington Monument next-

You're gonna need a much MUCH bigger chainring for that.

-Ray

djg
06-11-2007, 04:28 PM
There you go. I read two lessons in this. The first, is that it really pays to ride within yourself early on a climb. The second is that you are stronger than you think.

So good for you--hope to see you out there one of these days.

Ozz
06-11-2007, 04:50 PM
There you go. I read two lessons in this. The first, is that it really pays to ride within yourself early on a climb. The second is that you are stronger than you think.....
+1

Remember this day....print your post and tape it to the wall where you keep you bike.

Glad to hear you had a GREAT day!

And Kevan is right, go fix your bike.

:beer:

Rapid Tourist
06-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Sandy, I'm so glad you got out to ride and that you had a good experience!!Right on. Hope to see you on the road soon!

And we missed you in Saratoga, but that just makes us luckier the next time we have you with us...Keep riding your bike!

Ginger
06-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Sandy,
Your bike is teaching you that you can do more than you think you can. Listen to it for it is wise.

Congratulations and keep it up kiddo!

Ginger

39cross
06-11-2007, 06:45 PM
I guess it shows me that if you approach a hill, ride within your ability level, try to relax, save energy, be methodical and efficient,....then you could do a lot better than you really think that you are capable.I'm going to remember your words for the next time I encounter a monster hill. I hope you had a nice ride down the other side, you earned it!

jeffg
06-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Three cheers for Sandy! :banana: :banana: :banana:

KJMUNC
06-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Physics and gear inches aside, your mind is often the biggest obstacle on the big climbs!! Most folks just give up and throw it into the little ring at the first sniff of a hill and start spinning 100+ cadence, but as long as you keep the big 'mo going as you shift, the big ring can get you a lot further up the hill than you think.

When I rode a fixed gear offseason bike with big group rides, it always amazed me how much the pace noticably slowed before climbs or even before longer rollers. I'd routinely cruise past the pack and hold them off on all but the steepest or longest climbs using a single gear while they wailed away through an entire cassette.

Congrats and keep it rollin!

chuckroast
06-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Sandy seriously sacrifices sequential shifting...survives stronger

Seeya

vaxn8r
06-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Shows how much is in our heads. I've ridden with several strong riders over the years that had no confidence in their climbing ability but strong as heck on flats. Whenever they hit a hill they'd immediately shift down and spin. Even when it would have been just a short grunt in the big ring to get up and over without losing speed.

Confidence baby!

Ken Robb
06-12-2007, 08:32 PM
maybe some of the early-downshifters have knee problems? Maybe some of the late-downshifters WILL have knee problems? :rolleyes:

shinomaster
06-12-2007, 08:41 PM
I did some climbing the other day with Chrisroph in the big ring. It was kinda fun...I used to worry that it would give me a hernea but now that I think I have one I don't worry so much.

thwart
06-13-2007, 12:06 PM
maybe some of the early-downshifters have knee problems? Maybe some of the late-downshifters WILL have knee problems?
In my last stages of training for a 100 K hillclimb challenge ride this weekend (and wouldn't you know it, it's supposed to be 90° with high humidity!), so Monday I did my 25 mile hilly loop, never leaving the large chain ring of my compact crank. Was able to manage this, which kind of surprised me. :p

Even more surprising, the next day I did not have significant knee pain---I think the Speedplay Frogs have something to do with that. :banana:

At least for me (when I compare myself to other people I ride with), spinning up the hill results in a slightly higher overall speed. Getting out of the saddle, and going up in a higher gear is actually somewhat slower.