PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Cirque report

J.Greene
06-11-2007, 09:18 AM
My 5th Cirque has come and gone. It was great weekeend and a wonderful opportunity to catch up with old friends as well as meet new ones.

Thursday night started out with out traditional dinner at Brixx, a very good wood fired pizza place with an awesome selection of beer on tap. I'm kicking myself for sitting with the people I drove up with, there are just too many interesting people to not sit with someone new. The conversation and beer seemed to roll for hours, it was a great way to end a long travel day. Roommate Atmo showed up later that evening and the real fun began.

Friday Morning we did a nice 35 mile ride out of Greensboro. It was one of those days where the body just shut down. My pals were having to wait up because they were dropping me at 15mph. It's hard to believe that after racing 2-3 times per month since Feb 1, I could be dropped by someone riding a stationary bike. After a long nap we headed over to Cycle's de Oro for dinner and Silent auction. The Auction is always a blast and great fun. We rasied over 11k for Operation Smile. The generosity of the CR membership will help provide facial surgery for close to 50 under priveledged children. It's touching we get more done than just talk bikes.

Saturday's highlite was meeting forum pal Douglas Brooks. Within minutes you get the feeling he truly is a gem of a person, and lives up to his internet personna. Our seminars included presentations by Sacha White and Darrell McCulloch. Both of those guys are the real deal among frame builders. Saturday night's banquet was headlined by Brett Horton of the Horton Collection. It's amazing the ammount of cycling memorabilia he has collected.

Sunday is always my favorite day of Cirque. It's the swap meet and bike show. I was able to walk away with a large stash of framebuilding supplies and other goodies. I walked away from a full campy tool kit I did not need (I'm sorry for that at the moment). The best part of the show though is the social aspect. Getting to chat with old friends makes the whole day for me. Without them I'd stop going to Cirque.

2008 Cirque will be in Leesburg Virginia. It will be a great time for first timers to join the fun and help make Cirque fresh in its new home.

JG