PDA

View Full Version : wheel build (I thought I allready posted this)

Alexi
06-11-2007, 08:50 AM
I have some lovely campy hubs and some velocity aerohead rims, oc in the rear 32 hole allaround.
I was thinking of building the wheels radial in the front (or 2 cross) and 3 cross drive 2 cross non drive in the rear. This would be on my fast commuter, I do about 20 miles a day on it. Am I an idiot? :D

saab2000
06-11-2007, 09:09 AM
I have some lovely campy hubs and some velocity aerohead rims, oc in the rear 32 hole allaround.
I was thinking of building the wheels radial in the front (or 2 cross) and 3 cross drive 2 cross non drive in the rear. This would be on my fast commuter, I do about 20 miles a day on it. Am I an idiot? :D

I am not in a position to judge that, being an idiot myself.

But the wheelset in question would be fine. I have two wheelsets built with Campagnolo hubs and Velocity Aerohead rims, OCR in the rear.

Fine wheelsets.

pdxmech13
06-11-2007, 09:15 AM
idiot no.....

nice set of wheels, yes !

:beer:

labratmatt
06-11-2007, 09:57 AM
My training wheels are similar to yours:

Front:
9 speed 32 hole Campy hub
32 hole Velocity Aerohead rim
32 straight gauge Wheelsmith spokes
Brass nipples
radially laced

Rear:
9 speed 32 hole Campy hub
32 hole Velocity Aerohead rim (not OC)
32 straight gauge Wheelsmith spokes
Brass nipples
3 cross drive side
radially laced non-drive side

Wheels are rock solid. Haven't had to true them since I built them. They're not at all light, but great for putting in the training miles.

sbornia
06-11-2007, 10:28 AM
I have a set just like that, classic silver Record hubs relaced by Ergott with Aerohead/OC and Sapim Laser and Race spokes, 2X front, 2X/3X rear. Great, solid wheels.

If your hubs are the older Campys, they may not be designed for radial lacing, so check the manual. Not sure if the new hubshell is made for radial lacing.

labratmatt
06-11-2007, 01:39 PM
If your hubs are the older Campys, they may not be designed for radial lacing, so check the manual. Not sure if the new hubshell is made for radial lacing.

I think you're right about them not being designed for radial lacing, they've been fine however. The hubs are getting close to being 10 years old at this point, so if they blow apart, oh well.

Alexi
06-11-2007, 10:40 PM
well it looks like when you use campy hubs with oc velocity rims and you do both 3x the spokes have the same length. Time to save myself a box of spokes and just go radial in the front 3x in the rear.

frenk
06-12-2007, 03:27 AM
I'd go 3x both front and rear. It makes for a stronger wheel (32 spokes radial doesn't look so good and the front hub is probably not designed for that kind of stress)