PDA

View Full Version : OT: Soprano's Ending

ti_boi
06-11-2007, 08:01 AM
What did you think about the final episode?

ti_boi
06-11-2007, 08:06 AM
I thought that the last few minutes had incredible tension -- was I shocked by the abrupt blackout at the end? yes. But it was a subtle psychological thriller in the sense that you almost felt as if any second could be the last. Perhaps this is the same tension that Tony must endure every day. Interesting way to close the show.

From Salon:

"And yet... is it possible that we're witnessing Tony's last moment alive? What did Bobby say to him on the boat, in the first episode of this last run? "You probably don't even hear it when it happens, right?" Maybe the abrupt ending is Tony getting shot, without even realizing it?

That's probably wishful thinking, like hoping that there really is a Santa Claus simply because it would make the holidays much more interesting. We've never seen things from Tony's perspective, so why would we start now? And wouldn't we at least know who killed him?

No. Tony's story simply ended abruptly. Since we didn't have to a chance to say it before, we'll say it now: Goodbye, Tony. Looks like you won't go to prison (not yet, anyway), and you won't rat, and you won't finally get your come-uppance, dying in a bloody heap. You'll be immortalized eating onion rings, chuckling, focusing on the good times.

Just like the rest of us. Going to hell in a red leather booth, with Journey playing in the background. "

Jason E
06-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Agreed.

Wow, tense.

Ray
06-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Yeah, I dug it too. You were looking at everything and everyone suspiciously, like guys in that 'profession' must be doing 24/7. Hell of a way to live. Put us, the viewers, in Tony's shoes better than anything else during the entire series.

-Ray

Climb01742
06-11-2007, 09:34 AM
i was disappointed. all the episodes this year felt underpowered and light on imagination. there were surprises, certainly, like tony killing christopher. but last night's show lacked drama, IMO. one could argue that life isn't as dramatic as art often makes it but then again, life isn't put on tv for a reason. one can certainly argue for david chase's choices but for me, they were disappointing choices. finally, two things: could AJ have been more annoying last night and for the last few episodes? and did the SUV really need to run over phil's head?

compare the first season to the last. ouch.

for those of you who have never watched it before, check out "the wire" on hbo when its new season debuts. the wire blows the saprano's away.

Jason E
06-11-2007, 09:39 AM
i was disappointed. all the episodes this year felt underpowered and light on imagination. there were surprises, certainly, like tony killing christopher. but last night's show lacked drama, IMO. one could argue that life isn't as dramatic as art often makes it but then again, life isn't put on tv for a reason. one can certainly argue for david chase's choices but for me, they were disappointing choices. finally, two things: could AJ have been more annoying last night and for the last few episodes? and did the SUV really need to run over phil's head?

for those of you who have never watched it before, check out "the wire" on hbo when its new season debuts. the wire blows the saprano's away.

I'll second that the WIRE is amazing. I do not know about blowing it away,, but they are both great TV.

ti_boi
06-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Now that we are on the subject.....of great TV....how about the follow-up from the creator of 'Deadwood'.....I for one loved the surf footage, but it is a far cry from that excellent western series.

Jason E
06-11-2007, 09:54 AM
The Dialogue in Deadwood was amazing. I still can't believe it is off the air. My wife and I enjoyed the story, but watched even more so for the complexity of the speech. It was something magnificent to watch. If you've never seen it, please find it/TIVO it for yourself. It's a pleasure to behold.

I had a little trouble following the mumblings of John in that climax outside the motel, so I replayed it a bit.

That said it was amusing and I'll watch it.

I thought Demornay was out of place until the second half. It was as if it was forced trash, but then she got it and it seemed more natural.

ti_boi
06-11-2007, 09:59 AM
I thought Demornay was out of place until the second half. It was as if it was forced trash, but then she got it and it seemed more natural.

If her name was not in the credits I would have never known that was 'her'....plastic surgery really made her look 'different'....

93legendti
06-11-2007, 10:30 AM

The 2nd to last episode was much better. This was anti-climatic... but, then again most finales fall short in my opinion.

William
06-11-2007, 10:43 AM
We don't have cable or satellite at our house. I just can't justify spending $500 or more a year on something we just don't watch much....or a bunch of carp our kids don't need to see.

With that being said, Mrs William and I have watched Deadwood (love it), Battlestar Galactica, And the Soprano's on DVD. So we are obviously at least a season behind on all the goings on. I've really enjoyed the Sapranos (Mrs William not so much) and I'm sure living in an area for a while that had mobsters and mobster wanna-bees around, it tends to some what hit home. It's interesting to hear folks take on the finale...but it will be likely be a while before we catch it.

William

MassBiker
06-11-2007, 10:49 AM
It is my understanding that "Deadwood" was ended so the Director/Writer could go ahead and make "John From Cinncinnati".Same guy did both shows!

I could be wrong though!
:beer:

Jason E
06-11-2007, 10:52 AM
I thought it was canceleed/relegated to an occaisional made for HBO movie. Great reviews, low viewership.

Like Homicide: Life on the Streets

Ozz
06-11-2007, 10:57 AM
...Battlestar Galactica...
a little weird this past season....what was us up with "All Along the Watchtower" in the final episode?

still confused......

William
06-11-2007, 11:03 AM
a little weird this past season....what was us up with "All Along the Watchtower" in the final episode?

still confused......

:crap:

:D William

Jason E
06-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Though originally cheesy, I think they were picking up broadcasts, while at the same time being shown to us to be Cylons.

I think.

Lifelover
06-11-2007, 11:19 AM
IMO the final season and the final episode of the Soprano's FN SUCKED!

Shows like the Soprano's make their run based on Whoring and Killing. The last season lacked both.

Maybe I'm shallow but I could give a rat's A$$ about character development.

I just want to watch the mob guys Killing people that are worse than them and whoring around with the Bada Bing Girls.

The Wire is a very good Show!

BSG rocks but this past year was a little strange.