PDA

View Full Version : Serotta CRT (Rapid Tour) experiences?

mink70
06-11-2007, 03:57 AM
Hi, I just nabbed a 2000 Serotta Rapid Tour CRT on Ebay, which I'd like to use for long-distance trips and occasionally some light touring. Since most of the time it will be used unladen with 23mm tires, I've been trying to find a bike that would be as fun to ride as my Serotta Classique ti. Maybe even get couplers installed to make it a travel bike. Has anyone had experience with this bike? I'm interested particularly in how it handles.

Enclosing a pic just for the fun of it. :D

Thanks!

chakatrain
06-14-2007, 09:50 PM
...and would love to hear opinions about it. If I do buy it, I'm thinking of the S/S couplers too, for portability, even though the price of those went up steeply earlier this year.

vaxn8r
06-14-2007, 10:19 PM
I like it. Let us know how it turns out built up. I thought I'd stick with 25's on my Nor' Wester but but I just put a set of Specialized 32c Borough CX's on and am having a blast. The Buroughs have a treadless center with some smaller nubs on the sides, just perfect for some trail/gravel but mostly roads.

BCM119 and I climbed Mary's peak last weekend in a downpour. It's a 4,000 foot climb in about 9 miles. The first 6 miles on dirt and gravel and the final 3 on the road. Most of the climb is about 6-7% with peak inclines of about 15% in a few choice places. I was nearly maxed out in my 39x27. Standing left me little traction so I had to do the steep parts seated. Interesting. We nearly froze coming down in the wind and rain...I did anyway, Brian had on more layers than I. I had to stop several times to try and warm up a bit. Crazy day.

Bruce H.
06-15-2007, 09:34 PM
I ride a CRT and love it. Wanted something I could use for centuries and was led to the CRT by Bob at Guys Bike shop in Feasterville, Pa. Handles very well>
It was a bike they had for a year and built with Sh. 105.
I did the Tahoe century for Leukemia Society when I bought it.

Serotta PETE
06-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Bike handles like an 70-80s race bike. It is responsive and comfortable. The one I rode had michelin 23s on it and ultegra triple.

rnhood
06-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Great looking frame. It deserves a tire bigger than 23.

chakatrain
06-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Has anyone done touring (light saddlebags or fully loaded panniers) with a CRT?

Plum Hill
06-16-2007, 09:56 PM
I bought a CRT back in 1998. Built it up with Campy Racing Triple 30/40/50 with an eight speed 13-26, Chorus brakes, Continental GP 28s, and fenders (yes, with the Chorus brakes!).

It was predictable handler, but had the same high speed shakes that my '95 CSI exhibited (later bikes have had a shorter TT, no shakes).

Bike took me through the entire Skyline Drive/Blueridge Parkway, Texas Hell Week, many week-long organized tours, and some lightly loaded touring on pavement and the Katy Trail. For the "loaded" touring, I used Blackburn Lowrider racks and some old Nashbar panniers. A small load was carried on a rear Blackburn rack with a small rack trunk (big enough to hold a six pack and ice). It was nice to dump the panniers, and still have a racy feeling bike to ride.

Great bike, but sold it when the old body wouldn't stretch out for the 58TT.

Serotta PETE
06-17-2007, 12:28 PM
My touring is with CREDIT CARD and SPOKES....We had a great time and great wine in ALEXANDER VALLEY CALIF a few years ago....BIKE would only hold two bottles - -- - or was that me... :D :D :D

In all seriousness with loaded panniers I think the chain stays would be a little short for loaded touring (although it could be done - - I think..... :p :p )

Smiley
06-17-2007, 12:32 PM
In all seriousness with loaded panniers I think the chain stays would be a little short for loaded touring (although it could be done - - I think..... :p :p )
Pete , there are typically three sizes of paniers one can get I think on our tandem we have medium ones with 44 cm stays and I think these should work well with a 42.5 cm stay on a Rapid Tour. bet if you were buying I could get a half a case of Red in my panniers :)