PDA

View Full Version : Weird Campy Component Break

Jason E
06-09-2007, 03:03 PM
I just got back from an easy two hour spin. I'd crashed two weeks ago and this was one of the first rides back.

Anyway, I'm spinning easy, feeling good. Never leaving the little ring unless it is a downhill, and even then only to spin.

I chose a relatively flat route with only one spot that was steep enough (though short) that it woulld tax my knee a little even in the easiest of gears.

So I get to this point and I hear a >CRACK<. I think maybe a plate on my chain, so I stop to look.

The bolt on my crankarm (Record Alloy) that screws into the arm from the back is gone. It popped.

These are relatively new Cranks. Really. Less then 500 miles.

Anyone ever have a similar experience?

mcteague
06-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Uhhh, didn't you just type that you had crashed two weeks ago? Don't you think that maybe that had something to do with the failure?

Tim McTeague

A.L.Breguet
06-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Can't imagine how a crash could cause damage to a chainring bolt. A chainring, yes. A chainring bolt, no.
Tell us about the crash.

slowgoing
06-09-2007, 04:26 PM
replace the lightweight alloy bolts with stainless. I have found the alloy bolts soft and easy to overtighten to the point of breakage.

Big Dan
06-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Something like....

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31206

Bill Bove
06-09-2007, 05:40 PM
You're talking about the hidden arm chainring bolt right? I have seen a couple of them just fall out on the road in the last year or two. I put a drop of Loc-Tite on them now right out of the box.

Jason E
06-09-2007, 05:45 PM
The crash was on my Blur, but thanks.

Yes, it was the one that goes into the arm. I will try the Loc-Tite. I had just never seen that before. Not on a new set out of the Box.

I hope my shop has a new one.

It was this set of cranks...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=25288&stc=1

R2D2
06-09-2007, 06:09 PM
If you can't find one in Charlotte just have Branford mail you one.

Erik.Lazdins
06-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Yep - I sheared one myself a few months ago - the one opposite the right crank.

I'll go to a new set once this one gives way but all is ok today.

by the way 21,000 miles on the cranks when this happened.

manet
06-09-2007, 06:41 PM
minus the tea-bag, that is quite the handsome machine

saab2000
06-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Nice bike dude.

How are those tied 'n soldered wheels? Can you feel any difference?

BTW, I have 42 tooth chainrings on most of mine, replacing the 39s and when I did the switch I put oil on the threads and on all the alloy-alloy surfaces. gotta be careful not to overtighten, but they'll never ever creak.

Ever.

PS - While I like the aluminum crank and very much lament its loss from the Record lineup, that bike would look sweet with a Record UT crankset.

Just sayin'....

72gmc
06-10-2007, 04:04 PM
The alloy bolts on my old Centaur crankset always made me a little suspicious. I used grease and a torque wrench, but I think a switch to steel bolts would not be a bad idea at all.

Jason E
06-10-2007, 06:10 PM
minus the tea-bag, that is quite the handsome machine

Agreed. I thought tha ttoday when I switched it to one of my other bikes. I need something less Bull-sack.

How are those tied 'n soldered wheels? Can you feel any difference?

I think I can. I have ridden the similar wheelset, minus the T & S for years. This was noticiably more responsive.

Thank you, all, for your input. I've never, in all my years had that break, or any chainring issue, so thanks.

Jason E
06-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Ok, got the bolt and the washer and the spacer.

Um... Where does the washer go.

saab2000
06-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Ok, got the bolt and the washer and the spacer.

Um... Where does the washer go.

Between the inner ring and the crank. I think it has a lip on it, right? I think the lip goes into the chainring.

Other experts might know more than I do.