PDA

View Full Version : building a vintage tommasini, wheel questions

poorkid
06-09-2007, 08:52 AM
hello everyone, i am new here and wanted to thank you in advance for any advice...
it has been over 14yrs since i was serious about cycling and needless to say, technology seemed to have boomed over night for me. i have been spending the last week reading forums catching up on news .. it basically led me to this site.

i am about to build up a tommasini super prestige slx with chorus groupo from the same late 80's era. everything is pretty much in order but i would very much like to try a more contemporary wheelset.

my question is:
the rear tri is 126mm on the prestige.
i was told that most of the old steel frames can be 'stretched out' to accomodate the new 130mm spacing.
i would like to keep the drivetrain intact except - i would most like have to change my 6spd cassette ;)

has anyone worked on a vintage frame with hybrid modern wheels to make a suggestion?
thanks!

GoJavs
06-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Kid, you picked yourself a winner. 126 should take 130 just fine.

poorkid
06-09-2007, 09:34 AM
thankyou..
so, any of the new wheelsets are ok? sorry, i know this is a rather naive thread..i heard NO from ebay people and shops are telling me YES with some tweaking..i need to go with the lowest cassette in case there is a conflict with the stays?

dave thompson
06-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Most any *competent* bike shop can 'cold set' the bikes rear to 130MM spacing, it's a fairly easy thing for them to do. There won't be any interference between the cassette and stays.

poorkid
06-09-2007, 10:07 AM
very cool
thanks dave!

stevep
06-09-2007, 10:24 AM
nice bike.
youll like it

Peter P.
06-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Yeah; you can spread the rear end but if I understand you correctly, you want to retain a late 80's 6 speed cassette and drivetrain, using vintage parts but recent vintage wheels?

I think you'd be better off getting your hands on a late 80's vintage hub (126mm) and buying a longer axle and spacers. Build up a pair of wheels with the hubs. Not quite as contemporary as you want, I guess.

It's not clear to me; does the Chorus group use a 6 speed cassette?

If the Chorus group is 130mm, then just spread the rear end and be done.

If you're trying to use a Chorus group that has a 6speed cassette on a new era 130mm wheel, then I say don't waste your time. The effort in finding parts to adapt things and keeping it running -parts wear so they don't last forever-isn't worth it. If you can afford it, spread the rear end and put a current vintage drivetrain on it.

Either way, the frame is definitely worth riding, and would look "simply mahvelous" with modern parts.

poorkid
06-09-2007, 11:44 AM
right now i actually have record hubs, they are great and after a decade ride like butter, 126mm with american 6spd. the rim is 36h campy aero hardox i believe - they are old and need tuning...which led me to the idea of new wheels anyhow.

im a bit torn as to keep it all vintage or try and shave some weight with new wheels. i was told these days they can be marvelously lite, maybe even a 32h might suffice.

i made the decision to scrap the old headset for chris king..so perhaps a bit of modernity is where it wants to go.

hey, thanks for all the comments, i knew i came to the right place!
anyone out there who can state the year of this frame? :rolleyes:

michael white
06-09-2007, 12:26 PM
definitely use the old hubs. You won't find anything better. You can build great wheels with any spoke count that will be competitively light and keep up just fine on your club rides. any salesman who says different is blowing smoke cause he thinks you're dumb.

poorkid
06-09-2007, 12:35 PM
michael, are you saying its possible to build a wheel with less spokes using the same hub 36h? now that would be totally interesting.

Moosedryvr
06-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I agree. Keep the vintage hubs and build with new, light rims and new, stronger and lighter spokes. A little extra weight at the hub will make no difference and will make using the vintage drivetrain MUCH easier. Using new rims/spokes loses you weight where it matters. Plus the 36 spoke wheels will look more "appropriate."

Sweet, frame and fork!

Shawn G

michael white
06-09-2007, 01:09 PM
michael, are you saying its possible to build a wheel with less spokes using the same hub 36h? now that would be totally interesting.

no, just pick your spokes carefully. With 36 spokes, you can go to Revolutions or something. I have two sets of older 36 hole wheels, which I use with older lugged Italian frames like yours. (one Colnago, one Cinelli). I use Revolutions on one, and on another I use 15 gauge straight on the front and the left rear, 14/15 on the right rear. There are lots of ways to make a nice light wheel with 36 spokes, and the fact is, those hubs will roll with the best of them, match the drivetrain, and look right with the frame. Use nice tires, too. This bike will make you happy, and will be the envy of everyone.

Let them ride their plastic bikes!

poorkid
06-09-2007, 01:18 PM
all points understood!
michael, will follow your lead on the spokes..many thanks

shinomaster
06-09-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm turning mine into a single speed..

Fivethumbs
06-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Unless you want to spread your rear triangle and buy new shifters, chain, cassette and possibly cranks and derailleurs, I agree with everyone who said to re-use the old hubs and re-lace them to new rims. Having said that, I upgraded a 1989 Bottecchia from 7 speed freewheel to 10 speed freehub. I had to buy a whole new drivetrain but I'm glad I did it.

csm
06-09-2007, 08:46 PM
I have a set of record hubs... the old threaded freewheel type not doing anthing. they are laced to a set of matrix iso tubulars. make me an offer. perfect for any vintage project.

poorkid
06-09-2007, 09:55 PM
FIVETHUMBS, i think thats where im headed in the future..again, its been a while for me and i just want to get on the road again. love the way SOME of the NEW stuff looks but if im not an agressive rider, TRADITION is where its at.

CSM, thanks for the offer. but im very sentimental about my hubs. thanks to everyone again for the replies.