PDA

View Full Version : Look 451

wc1934
06-09-2007, 08:43 AM
I have the chance to pick up an older model Look. I think it is 451 - it is all carbon, but the lugs are aluminum. A friend thought I should pass on this because of compatibility problems between the two materials. Anyone riding this bike or have an opinion they wish to share. Thanks

saab2000
06-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Last year I purchased a used KG381i. It is also carbon with aluminum lugs. It is too early to tell how this will work long-term, but so far I have had no problems at all. Based on the model number, I am thinking that the frameset is at least 4 or 5 years old, but has probably not been ridden too much. I have less than 1000 miles on the bike total myself.

Newer Looks have carbon lugs.

I know little about other models, but the KG381i and the 481SL (very very similar to the 381) have a stellar reputation for ride quality. They are light, but not absurdly light as are many frames around. AFAIK, they are the distant cousins of the original Look frames from the '80s and were evolutionary in nature from the originals. The point here is that Look has a long history with carbon and a lot of experience with carbon tubes and aluminum lugs.

But back to the original posting, so far I have had no problem with my aluminum-lugged carbon Look.