PDA

View Full Version : Suunto X9i

Bud
06-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Has anyone had any experience with one of these? I have had a Suunto Vector for years and am very happy with it, but being a total gearhead the idea of having a gps integrated with the other functions seems very cool. I've read a couple of reviews and one mentioned slow/poor satellite acquisition. Any firsthand experience?

For reference, I'd want to use the watch for cycling AND hiking, skiing, etc. If I wanted a gps for cycling only, I'd go with the Edge 305. I like Garmin products and sometimes use a Foretrex on the bike.

SadieKate
06-08-2007, 09:52 PM
What about the Edge don't you like? Just the ability to take it hiking and skiing?

I bought a Garmin Forerunner 305 so I could use it multi-sport. I wish it had a barometic altimeter but other than that it's like the Edge. Then, you'd have all the familiarity with Garmin's user interface.

Bud
06-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Dude I like the edge. I would definitely get one if I wanted a new gps for cycling only. My primary interest in the Suunto is wearing it as a watch for multisport and everyday, since it's much smaller than my Foretrex 201. It is also smaller than the Forerunner, and I like the Suunto wristwatch interface.

I do agree that familiarity with the Garmin interface would be a plus. SO how do you like the Forerunner?

SadieKate
06-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Dudette replying. I asked about the Edge trying to figure out what else you were looking for other than being able to wear it on a wrist, making it useful for other sports.

I've been happy with it on my bike and looking forward to using it for snowshowing. A friend uses it for running and skiing, and adores it. The screen is very easy to read and you can set it up to scroll through the various numbers. However, if you want to wear it for every day use, it would be a bit cumbersome.

Bud
06-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the info. BTW- I knew you were a dudette, but the dude salutation seemed the thing to write at the time. You know- the general, non-gender specific use of "dude" which is common in these parts. No offense intended.

I will look more closely at the Forerunner as well. As you said before, a barometric alimeter is nice and would be missed if I got a Forerunner, especially for skiing.

SadieKate
06-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Need need for apologies. Just being silly. :)

Now if we could just get Garmin to add a barometric altimeter to the Forerunner and a microSD card to both the Forerunner and the Edge our lives would be vastly improved. They don't seem to understand that people can ride for longer than 10 hours at a time or be away from a PC for longer than a day.

Bud
06-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Agreed on the memory stuff, though I saved a weeks worth of Ride the Rockies in my Foretrex last year before getting back to the PC. Battery life was the big problem. A barometric altimeter sure would've been nice, but I didn't want to have a cyclocomputer, gps and the Vector all on the bike. Too much geekiness.

SadieKate
06-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Well that was good. I'm off to Moab this week for a couple days of riding on our own and then a Telluride to Moab mtb tour. We'll have a Garmin 60csx and two Forerunners with us. I put a 1 GB card in the GPS so I think we can capture it all with that. At least none of us has to carry more than one geek unit. :)

scrooge
06-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Bud--curious which unit you settled on (if any) and why...

Bud
06-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Bud--curious which unit you settled on (if any) and why...

Nothing new, yet. I still use the Suunto Vector for a barometric altimeter and the Foretrex 201 if I want to use the GPS on the bike for following routes, tracking, etc. I usually just ride with my Vetta that has HR and cadence, but I am using HR less and less (as my riding becomes more casual).

If I was going to buy something just for the bike, it would be the Edge 305. If I wanted soemthing more all-purpose (bike and hike, run, etc) I'd get the Forerunner 305. I haven't read good things about the X9i's gps abilities, unfortunately. Too bad- cause it would be a nice package (though expensive).

csm
06-22-2007, 06:21 PM
I have the suunto skiing model? goes thru the battery like mad.

Bud
06-22-2007, 06:29 PM
I have the suunto skiing model? goes thru the battery like mad.

What's the "skiing model?" Vector? Advisor? Yes, my Vector runs through the batteries if you use the barometric altimeter quite a bit (log function, etc). But heck- that's why I have the watch so I just replace the battery once a year.

csm
06-22-2007, 11:39 PM
the S6.