PDA

View Full Version : YAY Pistons! (OT)

M_A_Martin
06-16-2004, 09:06 AM
Nope Smiley, I didn't watch the game. I could tell the Pistons won by the automatic rifle fire coming up from the 'hood and the ghetto birds swarming all over the place.

:banana:

:)

(Its not really that bad in the D...no...really)

slowgoing
06-16-2004, 09:16 AM
The Piston's best weapon was Kobe Bryant, who continues to refuse to pass the ball so he can try and miss most of his low percentage shots. I hope he goes to New York.

But my hat's off to the Pistons. Great coaching, great defense, great rebounding, great shooting. They made it ugly for this Lakers fan.

M_A_Martin
06-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Although I tell people that I don't follow bb in Detroit. I sorta fibbed...Detroit's is a town of fans. I just like to avoid all those point by point "wasn't it great when" discussions.

That said, the Lakers were a great team "back in the day". They need to clear out some old players (who would do great things for mid-range teams), drop some weight, and get some youth and hussle back in their legs. Then maybe they could come knocking on the Palace door.

The Pistons didn't make it ugly for the Lakers fans, the Lakers made it ugly for the Lakers fans, Pistons just held up the mirror.

oracle
06-16-2004, 10:24 AM
ghetto birds?

M_A_Martin
06-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Gunship type police helicopters = Ghetto Birds.

Funny thing is that the Palace is no where near Detroit (at least 20 miles north of the city proper).

Saxon
06-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Oh happy day :beer:
Being a frustrated Kings fan, I watched with glee as the Lakers were spanked. I'll have to send a thank you letter to those Detroit guys. Went out afterwards and picked up a Baskin Robins ice cream cake with "Lakers Suck" written on top for the gang to revel in :) It was an experience though, after watching so many Kings games, to see a team play against the Lakers that could actually get the rebounds and hit their free throws! Think you'll see Malone knocking on the Piston's back door this week? ;)

Ozz
06-16-2004, 01:36 PM
I can't really stomach pro basketball anymore, (since the players strike), but it is nice to see confirmation that it is still a team sport.

As a (former) Sonics fan, I was conflicted while hoping the best for Gary Payton, and despising all things Lakers. It's too bad he chased a ring and ended up on a team where he didn't fit. He seems like a reasonable guy - doing his charity work and staying out of the gossip columns.

Anyway, congrats to Detroit and here's hoping the fans don't burn the city in celebration!

froze
06-16-2004, 02:20 PM
I can't really stomach pro basketball anymore, (since the players strike), but it is nice to see confirmation that it is still a team sport.

The reason I can't stomach big money pro sport anything is the fact that the younger players only play outstanding when they don't make as much as their superstar counterparts, then as soon as they are recognized as talented players then their salary go skyrocketing and suddenly their all full of themselves and the level of play drops off. I think they should pay professional sports depending on how many baskets they make, or prevented, for stealing the ball, and the for the game won. If the team wins the game the whole team gets their "bonus" share at a higher level then making a basket so as to promote team cooperation. Then have a loss of pay percentage for personal screwups, including failure to make a basket, having the ball stolen away, throwing the ball away, something that cost the team a point. So for example you have a rookie player starting at $300,000 a year; great put him on that scale with the above limitations, he could make that money if he averages so many points, blocks etc per game, all of which would be determined by the team that hires; so he does his average goal he makes his salary, if more-he makes more and if less-he makes less; and apply this to all players based on their agreed salary. Now with goals having to be reached the players will become hungry and know they have to make their goals if their going to make the money.

Of course have the basketball commission set up the rules. So if this was in effect the Pistons and players would have made twice as much money on the series than the Lakers and their players, with Brandt getting more of a deduction in pay for throwing points away!

You could do this with all the big dollar sports.

oracle
06-16-2004, 02:31 PM
it hasn't worked for the increasingly more pathetic frank vandenbroucke.

oracle

froze
06-16-2004, 02:34 PM
it hasn't worked for the increasingly more pathetic frank vandenbroucke.

Who?

oracle
06-16-2004, 02:47 PM
more and more people are asking that question every day...

oracle

Kevin
06-16-2004, 06:30 PM
Ginger,

I have not heard of any of the celebratory parties that Detroit is famous for conducting after sporting events. Is Detroit becoming a retirement community? :rolleyes:

Kevin

JohnS
06-16-2004, 06:43 PM
Those were always overblown. The media just likes dumping on Detroit. Other cities did worse, and it wasn't even mentioned.
On the other hand, I have never heard or seen a "gunship type police helicopter". All the ones that I have seen are Aerospatiale A-Stars.

vaxn8r
06-16-2004, 06:45 PM
Well, the reason the Pistons won is that they are using performance enhancing drugs. It's really quite obvious to the average fan what's going on. Look at the way they totally outhustled LA. They got every loose ball and tons of fast breaks on LA.

I have it on good authority that the Lakers are one of the only clean franchises in basketball. When asked, the Lakers and their coaches have repeatedly denied using any off label drugs or substances. Too bad for them the rest of the NBA can't play by the same rules!

Heh.

M_A_Martin
06-16-2004, 09:52 PM
John, I generally don't get out of bed when those things fly over...when I have I've seen the standard cop choppers, at times I've seen the others...I don't care to keep track which are which, they're all ghetto birds tracking the action down in RO township. I think its odd they need more than one to do the job, its a small area.

Kevin: We'll see after tomorrow's parade, but John is right. Any minor or intermediate incident that might happen in Detroit gets turned into a full blown riot on the national media. Maybe we're just used to it, but I don't think so.

Vax: There's no way I could answer that that wouldn't get me in trouble with someone somewhere.