PDA

View Full Version : Wheelset recommendation

unwell_ultra
06-08-2007, 01:41 AM
My friend has qualified to ride Paris-Brest-Paris in August. She currently rides Topolino wheels and loves them but I doubt they would be easy to repair in France. She is looking for a high end wheelset that meets the following parameters.
9 speed compatible clinchers
Wheels that are easy to mount new tires on. She uses either Michelin Pro Race or Vittoria tires.
The wheels should be near bullet proof and easy to repair in France.
Weight is not a huge issue but is a concern.
The wheels should be comfortable to ride.
They don't need to be super stiff for climbing, sprinting or need to spin up fast.

Any suggestions?

Has anybody seen or ridden the new DT Swiss Mon Chasseral wheels?

Thanks........unwell_ultra

A.L.Breguet
06-08-2007, 05:10 AM
Can't go wrong with 32 hole mavic Open Pros on any quality big name hub.
You can buy a spoke just about anywhere in the world.

Marron
06-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Can't go wrong with 32 hole mavic Open Pros on any quality big name hub.
You can buy a spoke just about anywhere in the world.

That's the recommendation for PAC Tour participants

97CSI
06-08-2007, 09:33 AM
And, being a French wheel, Mavic will be easy to find parts, etc. I would suggest Ksyrium SL or Elite, as well. Anything that is 10-speed compatible will also be 9-speed.

Ken Robb
06-08-2007, 10:02 AM
And, being a French wheel, Mavic will be easy to find parts, etc. I would suggest Ksyrium SL or Elite, as well. Anything that is 10-speed compatible will also be 9-speed.
Wrong--you can't run 9 spd on 10spd DA hubs as well as some other pre-built wheels.

R2D2
06-08-2007, 10:18 AM

The problem with the Kysrium or Elite is if you do break a spoke they'll go WAY out of true. Stick with conventional spokes 32 or 36 drill, Open Pro's and a good set of hubs.

97CSI
06-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Wrong--you can't run 9 spd on 10spd DA hubs as well as some other pre-built wheels.Ooops.....I was thinking of the good stuff and Shimano didn't enter my mind. :D