PDA

View Full Version : Reflective Clothing

Kevin
12-25-2003, 11:54 AM
With the short winter days in the northeast, I am trying to hold on to my morning rides without getting myself killed in Long Island traffic. Does anyone have any experience with reflective clothing? I have an old Cannondale jacket that is reflective across the shoulders and down the arms. I received Performance Bicycle's catalogue in the mail yesterday. It has its illumiNite clothing line on sale. It looks like their entire garments are reflective, not just a portion like the Cannondale. I was thinking of getting their jacket and tights. Has anyone tried the illumiNites? Are they any good? What do the rest of you early riders wear to stay alive and be seen?

Kevin

Smiley
12-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Get the Illuminate wind jacket , it really lites up under head lites and thats all you can ask for. I think over time Performance has got their act together with regards to clothing for their target market client base. I think thats where they make all their money. I have been happy with my yellow jacket and if you go to the old phorum you'll see Gingers photo's of me look like I am nuked from her flash bulb.

M_A_Martin
12-25-2003, 08:04 PM
...that wasn't the flash.
You always glow like that.

Bruce K was wearing an illuminite jacket and that too reflected like he was flash gordon.

I'd be more apt to jump on the illuminite band wagon if the clothing weren't so stealth during the day. I wan't to be a huge glowing funky green blob to every driver that sees me, night or day.

Check out a running web site and see what they have for twilight running. They tend to be big on bright colors and lots of reflectivity.

I did see the cutest thing the other day. Brake lights for bikes. I guess they're only available for one type of brake right now...mostly used on mountain bikes...and the pads seemed to suck, but the lights were cute! Someone needs to tell me why a mountain bike needs a brake light. ?

Bruce K
12-26-2003, 05:35 AM
Hey M_A

I like the "stealth" aspect of Illumilite in the daylight and yes you become a giant glowing ball in the headlights of a car but isn't that the point?

As an added attraction, several companies now have bar end flashers. These work great on drop bars for road/cross bikes and are a bright red LED that repalces the end plug of your bar tape. Very compact, easy to use, and quite visible. THey come in packages of two and since you only really need to replace the left one, that means you can do 2 bikes for $20.

Some of you mayt have seen them on my bikes at the Open House.

BK

Kevin
12-26-2003, 01:07 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm going to order the clothing today.

Kevin