PDA

View Full Version : Allens Park/Estes Park CO?

scrooge
06-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Can anyone give me good info (even routes?) about riding--either road or MTB--near Estes Park CO? I'll be heading out there in a few days and staying for a week (in Allenspark) and am hoping to get some good riding in...

dauwhe
06-07-2007, 07:52 PM
It's beautiful... The Peak-to-Peak highway from Allenspark is very nice. Trail Ridge Road is amazing. Almost anywhere you go from Allenspark will be good.

Have a great time!

Dave (who lived in EP years ago)

Bud
06-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Peak to Peak, road up to Brainard Lakes (which will/should be open by then), S. St Vrain canyon down to Lyons (a great climb), Lefthand, etc etc. Have fun :D

jhcakilmer
06-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Trail Ridge Road, was the best ride of my life!! A lot of fun, very scenic, and not that difficult.....the elevation was the largest factor, especially for someone that lives at 1000 feet. I was able to keep a steady pace, and enjoy the scenery, and wildlife....almost came face to face with a bull elk.

scrooge
06-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Trail Ridge Road, was the best ride of my life!! A lot of fun, very scenic, and not that difficult.....the elevation was the largest factor, especially for someone that lives at 1000 feet. I was able to keep a steady pace, and enjoy the scenery, and wildlife....almost came face to face with a bull elk.

I was wondering about this--did you just get up early and ride up (do the whole road--Estes to Grand Lake or something)? Any tips?

dauwhe
06-08-2007, 07:15 AM
I would usually just ride to the Visitor's Center just over the top. All the way to Grand Lake and back makes for a long day... Or you could go to Milner Pass (the continental divide) and turn around; that way you'd get every inch of the above-treeline section!

Dave

chuckred
06-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Check out "Road Biking Colorado The Statewide Guide" by Michael Seeberg.Westcliffe Publishers. 2003.

I'd rate it a "must have" if you live in or will be visiting Colorado...

Giff
06-08-2007, 09:16 AM
IIRC, Trail Ridge is under construction this summer, with parts of it closed completely.

jhcakilmer
06-08-2007, 09:37 AM
My wife's family is from Colorado, and they were at Grand Lake having a family reunion. I rode from Grand Lake to Estes Park, and back.....it's a good ride......took me about 5 hours at a reasonable pace. I'm a sprinter, but a decent climber, so it wasn't too bad.

I think it took me about an hour and half to get to the summit from Grand Lake, and then about 30 minutes down to Estes Park.....that was a blast! Going back was a little slower, just because I was trying the enjoy the ride more.

97CSI
06-08-2007, 09:38 AM
IIRC, Trail Ridge is under construction this summer, with parts of it closed completely.Correct. We are doing this route on the 28th, and have been informed that we will be required to 'portage' (SAG) the construction areas. Bummer. Did TRR in '05 (Estes Park to Lake Granby) and it is a stupendous ride. Looking down on the cloud cover with the tops of mountains sticking out like islands.