PDA

View Full Version : Building Bike Up - Tool Kits?

rinconryder
06-07-2007, 09:56 AM
I apologize if there is already a thread on this. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. I am going to build up my first bike - I know, no big deal for many of you, but this is the first time for me so I don't really have any tools. My goal here is to become really familiar with the ins and outs of bikes - I can ride them, now I want to know them better - sort of like Days of Thunder if any of you remember that. Great flick before tom cruise, well, became tom cruise.

Anyway, any suggestions on tool kits? I know park tools makes good tools and has some kits - I can't quite figure out which kit has all the tools I will need. In the alternative, I already have allen wrenches and a peddle wrench, if there are only a couple of bare essentials I am missing I could piece it together. But from what I am guessing I am missing several tools.

Any suggestions, or even better, links to tool kits would be greatly appreciated!

Ken Robb
06-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Performance and Nashbar have been running "sales" on their kits which might be a good place to start. You may find you need a couple more special tools but probably not.

Bud
06-07-2007, 11:40 AM
You may find that you need things like a cable cutter/crimper, bottom bracket tools, crank puller, chain whip for casettes, chain tool (if you don't already have one) and spoke wrenches. If you don't have much of this stuff, the Park roll up tool kit is a good place to start. I think the # is BT-2?

rePhil
06-07-2007, 11:49 AM
What do you have now? Do you have basic hand tools? Basic hand tools plus 1/4 and 3/8 drive allen sockets and torque wrenches are available at Sears.Do you have a workstand? Sure helps to make wrenching fun. Are you cutting your own steerer? Then a good hacksaw and saw guide. Want to install a headset? Then you need a press. Cable cutters,chain tools, cone wrenches, crank pullers, etc are available online.Buy quality tools.
Plan on maintenance tools too, the ones for taking stuff apart like crank and cassette tools.
Be sure to have lubes on hand, as well as shop rags and hand soap.

Dekonick
06-07-2007, 12:02 PM
and blue locktite. If you are working with Ti, go to the local automotive shop and buy some antisieze. You can get it in a tube (like lipstick) that makes it easy to coat threads. You can pay too much for Ti-prep, or get a generous portion of the same stuff for less at pep-boys...

:)

marcus
06-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Congrats on your decision, you won't regret it.
What kind of frame and what components?
This info will help us help you.
Regards

pdonk
06-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Bike build up, assuming headset is installed and frame is already faced and chased.

1) Cable cutters
2) Allen keys
3) Bottom Bracket tool
4) casette tool
5) Pedal wrench - makes it easier but not necessary
6) Workstand
7) Grease/ant-seize
8) Crank puller
9) Torque wrench
10) spoke wrench
11) needle noise vice grips/or a third hand tool for holding/pulling cables
12) crazy glue for cable ends.
13) floor pump

Trouble
06-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Bike build up, assuming headset is installed and frame is already faced and chased.

1) Cable cutters
2) Allen keys
3) Bottom Bracket tool
4) casette tool
5) Pedal wrench - makes it easier but not necessary
6) Workstand
7) Grease/ant-seize
8) Crank puller
9) Torque wrench
10) spoke wrench
11) needle noise vice grips/or a third hand tool for holding/pulling cables
12) crazy glue for cable ends.
13) floor pump

Park Tool cable cutters.
Metric allen set
You'll need to make sure you get the right cassette, bottom bracket and crank puller too.
Ft/lb torque wrench
Don't bother with a spoke wrench, you'll do more damage than anything.
No need for vice grips. Cables only need to be pulled about as tight as you can do it with your fingers. Close the brakes to where you want them with your hands, pull the cable tight and tighten. Derailluer only needs to be finger tight, you can fine tune it with the barrel adjuster.
I'll say, working on a bike isn't that difficult. Park tool has a website with advice. Check it out.
Some things, i.e. Headset install/remove and wheel building are better left to the shops with the tools and talent.

Have fun and be patient.

thwart
06-08-2007, 09:13 PM

Well... I dunno about that. Even idiots like me can true a wheel. Save yourself some bucks and feel good about your own skills.

The rest of it is generally good advice, though.

Bud
06-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Everyone needs a spoke wrench and needs to know how to use it, imho. It's not hard to learn how to true wheels and it is very satisfying, as thwart said.

Orin
06-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Park Tool cable cutters.
Metric allen set
You'll need to make sure you get the right cassette, bottom bracket and crank puller too.
Ft/lb torque wrench
No need for vice grips. Cables only need to be pulled about as tight as you can do it with your fingers. Close the brakes to where you want them with your hands, pull the cable tight and tighten. Derailluer only needs to be finger tight, you can fine tune it with the barrel adjuster.
I'll say, working on a bike isn't that difficult. Park tool has a website with advice. Check it out.
Some things, i.e. Headset install/remove and wheel building are better left to the shops with the tools and talent.

Have fun and be patient.

Last I heard, the Spin Doctor cable cutters were better than the Pack cutters at the time. Park cutters were d*mn expensive in the local Performance the other day. A pair of cable cutters is absolutely essential IMO and might not be included in the less expensive kits.

I'd add a set of metric allen sockets (if that wasn't what was meant above) to fit the torque wrench and whatever socket or adapter is required to use the torque wrench with the cassette lockring and bottom bracket tool.

I never pull my cables more than finger tight either... but it does end up requiring a few turns of the adjuster on the rear derailleur to get it set up right.

I don't think anyone mentioned a chain tool. Necessary for shortening the chain even if using re-usable connecting links. I've found the smaller tools like the Park CT-5 marginal for modern chains with peened pins - see http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=25 for more on peened pins. (Looks like the Nashbar Shop Chain tool is on sale and there's a free shipping coupon this weekend...)

Orin.

rinconryder
06-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Thanks for all the advice! I am building a Colnago C 40 and pretty much have all the parts. I have been hooked on the Park Tool website - my computer now has bike grease all over the keyboard :rolleyes: While I had a pretty good general understanding of how to adjust brakes and more basic things, I have learned tons by just pulling back on the hoods of the levers and looking at how they work when you shift, etc...by the way anyone want to buy an english threaded BB :crap: ?

Vancouverdave
06-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Add: A couple of small flat files, some dental picks, an awl (for opening up the ends of cable housing) some extra cable caps. Plan on needing one each extra derailleur and brake cable, as well as some housing. If you buy tools, stick to Park and European-made (Felco cable cutters; more expensive at first but cheaper than throwing out five Chinese pieces of crap) and have tools that won't break, strip, or hurt hardware. Titanium bolts? You'll want to have Ti Prep, Finish Line teflon grease, or Tef Gel marine grease around. Also, some 5mm spring lockwashers--water bottle bolts, etc.

pdonk
06-12-2007, 11:56 AM
The vise grips are a personal preference, mostly from setting up mountain bike brakes where spring tension is fighting against you. They are applied lightly and make it easier to hold things in place. When I had a third hand tool, then I just use my fingers.