PDA

View Full Version : Messenger bags

mike p
06-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Who uses a messenger bag for work or just to travel to and from work? I've been using an old backpack to ride into work but it's not really cutting it so I'm about to buy my first bag. Any tips? I carry books, paper work, clothing, phone and assorted gear. I've been looking at chrome bags. Anything out there better?

Thanks for the help
Mike

Jeff Weir
06-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Over the last week or 2, www.steepandcheap.com has had a few different crumpler bags at great prices. typically 60-70% off retail.
Check regularly, they change the web page every couple of hours.

Too Tall
06-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Yup! I've commuted to work using a messenger bag for yrs. and yrs. and it works great. Having the weight resting on my back with a crossing strap feels natural. My bags of choice are Timbuktu and they are excellent. Recently I've had a thaing for Reload bags...the civi with a custom race team logo..hmmmm.

chakatrain
06-06-2007, 09:09 PM
I used a large Timbuk2 messenger bag to commute to work. It's large enough to hold my clothes, shoes, towel, toiletries, my helmet, and still have room to spare. I bought the special sticky type of strap pad, to, so it wouldn't slide around much on my shoulder while pedaling.

I recently changed to a regular back pack. I wanted to be able to stand up on the bike for the larger hills without a bag sloshing around my shoulders, something I couldn't do as easily with the Timbuk2. So far, I'm happy with the backpack (North Face Recon II), but not in love with it.

The large Timbuk2 has a ton of other uses: I put my bike gear in it for weekends where I drive to the start of the ride; I use it for trips to the local store or weekend farmer's market; I use it for nearly all of my shopping when I can. I'm very happy with the quality and feel of it.

Bruce K
06-07-2007, 12:01 AM
Take a look at Baileyworks bags. They are in NH and make great bags.

They are a local operation with all their bags made by sewers in the Portsmouth area.

BK

d_douglas
06-07-2007, 12:58 AM
I own an Ortleib bag (can't remember the model name) but it works great. They are very pricey, but I got mine cheap because it was a marketing sample that has 'Eddie Bauer' stenciled across the bottom.

The advantage of these is that they are as waterproof as bage come. If you live in a wet climate, it is a must.

Personally, I use it because it is waterproof and kind cool, but a good backpack feels better to me. If you hav back problems (I do) then consider buying an Ortleib (or other brand) messenger backpack. I am saving the money for one of those.

Good luck.

Climb01742
06-07-2007, 03:09 AM
Take a look at Baileyworks bags. They are in NH and make great bags.

They are a local operation with all their bags made by sewers in the Portsmouth area.

BK

+1
their split strap is both super comfy on your shoulder and very easy to cinch tightly, then pop open to get out of. rides nicely on your shoulder and back. and, wears like iron, giving you years of service.

Bittersweet
06-07-2007, 06:20 AM
http://www.courierwareusa.com/

Ray
06-07-2007, 07:15 AM
I've had a HUGE timbuk2 for 7-8 years now. I used to commute with it. Now I run errands with it. It's also my 'small' luggage for short trips that don't have anything to do with a bike. The bag swallows anything I throw at it and it's comfortable and convenient to wear and access. I wouldn't use it for hiking (they don't sit right for long walks), but for almost anything else, it's kind of become my do anything luggage. It's my beach bag and it's my only luggage for 2-3 day trips.

I've seen all sorts of reviews for all sorts of other, less known, brands of messenger bags. I guess some of these are more 'street' and some of them probably even have actual features that make them better for actual messengers. But for most of us, who don't put these bags through the level of abuse that real messengers do, the Timbuk2 is fine, as are many others out there.

The only thing I'd avoid are the really cheap promotional messenger bags. I had a bag from Performance before I got the timbuk2 and it wasn't even remotely as useful. Not as comfortable, not as convenient to use and adjust, didn't hold much, didn't keep stuff dry. But once you get up to the level of a decent bag, any of them should be great.

-Ray

cs124
06-07-2007, 07:32 AM
I've commuted for years with Crumpler messenger bags. Can't recommend them highly enough. Lots of colours and sizes. Very hard wearing material. Plenty of small pockets for phone, wallet, ID card etc.

One thing...the way the stabiliser strap works means that you can only wear the bag with the strap over your left shoulder. However they will make a mirror image bag on special order if you really want to carry the it the "wrong" way.

chuckred
06-07-2007, 07:35 AM
I've got a big messenger bag and every time I use it on the bike, I go back to a back pack. Guess I'm too uncoordinated. It works fine until, every now and then it w flops over to the side and causes balance issues...

Backpacks seem much more stable...

If I was really going to get into the consistent commuting routine (now I commute to my home office...), I'd go rack and panniers...

Bud
06-07-2007, 08:16 AM
I use a Timbuk2 Laptop messenger bag as my briefcase, and commute with it on the bike provided that I don't have too heavy a load. For heavier loads (extra clothes, etc) I use a backpack (NF Recon). As others have said, the backpack is more stable expecially with increased load. The messenger does slide around a bit, even with the chest strap secured. My usual messenger cargo is a laptop, lunch, some papers or a book, and a few odds and ends. I leave clothes at work, or haul them in/out with a backpack.

manet
06-07-2007, 08:17 AM
pa'roose dis:

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/

ti_boi
06-07-2007, 08:23 AM
I got a timbuk2, an Ant Industrial (which I love) and am eyeing a chrome or the new singlespeed series from Timbuk2 (tho I am not sure I like their hardware on that model) -- Manhattan portage also makes nice stuff.

The nice thing about the chrome bag is that it is 'tilted' to sit on the back at a comfortable angle. http://www.chromebags.com/products/bags/show/13/ It looks 'built for speed'....I don't feel that way about the timbuk2 messenger bags. Mine feels cumbersome when it is packed and the strap that goes around your waist is too narrow.

mike p
06-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all the help!

Mike

benb
06-07-2007, 04:23 PM
+1
their split strap is both super comfy on your shoulder and very easy to cinch tightly, then pop open to get out of. rides nicely on your shoulder and back. and, wears like iron, giving you years of service.

+2 for Bailey Works.

Mine is apparently too old for the split strap, but I've used it almost daily for 8 years and it's showing basically 0 wear.

It's also kept my stuff 100% dry through some horrific weather.

ti_boi
06-07-2007, 07:34 PM
OOF. I just picked up a Chrome Ranchero....got one in Camo and Black. Medium size back-pack style bag. It fills a void and is bike friendly.

ClutchCargo
06-08-2007, 07:45 AM
Over the last week or 2, www.steepandcheap.com has had a few different crumpler bags at great prices. typically 60-70% off retail.
Check regularly, they change the web page every couple of hours.

if you're interested in Crumpler bags and live near NYC, this may be the way to go -- beer for a bag . . . not bad!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/07/fashion/07beer.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

jpw
06-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Go for a double shoulder strap design like a normal backpack. Single cross straps are not comfortable enough. Try Ortlieb - a little heavy but durable and waterproof.

crossjunkee
06-08-2007, 04:42 PM
http://www.courierwareusa.com/

+1
I've had many, these are the best.