PDA

View Full Version : Road Bike Action Magazine

rpm
06-06-2007, 11:25 AM
I understand that Road Bike Action magazine has reappeared. Has anyone seen it? If so, what do you think of it?

I remember it from the mid-90's as a fairly decent mag. I still have an issue from 95 in which they tested four identical bikes made of different materials from the same builder, Harry Havnoonian. That article led me to buy an HH ti bike, which I still have. There was also a profile of a guy in CT building traditional lugged frames--Richard something or other. . .

mcteague
06-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Google is your friend.

http://www.rbaction.net/

Tim McTeague

Ozz
06-06-2007, 11:57 AM
I remember that issue.....I enjoyed the magazine...it seemed to have a pretty good tongue-in-cheek "roadie" attitude that was fun.

I really enjoyed the "tour of frames" on the last couple pages.....

erikbrooks
06-06-2007, 12:00 PM
I subscribe to Mountain Bike Action (aka MBA) , which I think is very good. My subscription to that is probably why a copy arrived unbidden - actually they sent me 2 copies.

I thought it was OK, but no better. I think that there was a decent article or two in there, but a week or two past reading it, the content slips my mind, so it couldn't have been that great...

The mags I like lots are Cycling Plus (english and very spendy for those on this side of the pond - about $50/yr if memory serves, as it does occasionally) and Bicycle Quarterly (formerly Vintage Bicycle Quarterly)

I'll keep an eye on RBA, as I'd like to see a USA bike mag that's as good as MBA. One complaint I have about MBA is that their bike tests focus on $3k+ bikes, and the initial issue of RBA also is on the big buck bikes.

Moveitfred
06-06-2007, 12:01 PM
I seem to be getting it for free. Have no idea why. Nice glossy pics. Pretty standard articles/reviews that read like ads, imho.

Dave B
06-06-2007, 12:04 PM
I get it. I like it, the first issue was nice (had a great interview with Lance), but the second one left me wanting for better stories. I cannot put my finger on it. I'll have to wait for a few. The editor...Brad Roe is someone I respect and have had contact with him over the year on many stories I have written. He is a decent guy and loves to ride.

I'll give it a few more issues to decide if I want to renew.

Magazine reviews of bikes are beginning to become vanilla. Not enough people (with in the mags) have the guts to say, "This bike is crap" look else where.

Almost like having a parent teacher conference.

"Your Kid is great at raising his hand and particpating" This is code for, "But he is such a moron, I am surprised he breathes on his own!"

William
06-06-2007, 12:08 PM
I had a scrip to RBA back in the mid 90's. I thought it was a very good mag. Good articles on technique as well as road tests and builder profiles. As I remember it, comparison tests weren't always rah rah toward all the bikes. Testers seemed more impartial in the comparisons.

I hope the "new" RBA is just as good.

William

Bill Bove
06-06-2007, 12:22 PM
I liked Bicycle Guide. Prettier girls. They stopped publishing in the '90's. Way back when, Velo-Snooze used to be worth a look. Remember Winning, Bicycle Racing Illustrated? That one I do miss.

merckx
06-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Ultra Sport "early edition", and Winning.

William
06-06-2007, 02:42 PM
This reminds me....there's a forum member whom I must hook up with soon with. Where did I put his contact info....... :confused:

William

Bruce K
06-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Would it have something to do with brakes??? ;)

BK

toaster
06-07-2007, 07:18 AM
So far no mention of Zapata Espinoza.

Strange cat. The cycling community appears to have somewhat embraced him since he's still working.

haiku
06-07-2007, 08:18 AM
i get bike mags for the pictures. i thought rba pictures were good. that said, the only mag i subscribe to is national geographic, which i get for the pictures...

LegendRider
06-07-2007, 08:35 AM
So far no mention of Zapata Espinoza.

Strange cat. The cycling community appears to have somewhat embraced him since he's still working.

I'm not a fan of his. Plus, his writing is poor IMO.

jthurow
06-07-2007, 09:13 AM
I picked up the July/August issue while traveling this week and was really quite impressed; except for Bicycle Quarterly, easily the best of the US mags, imho. Disposable bike reviews but I thought the rest was a decent read. I liked it much better than the copy of ROAD I also picked up. I'm the worlds worst proof reader and even I found about a dozen in that thing. And the layout is awful. One article stopped mid-sentence and continued on the other side of a differnt article. Kind of makes it difficult to enjoy what you're reading. I want to like ROAD but always seem to be disappointed by it.

jimi

LegendRider
06-07-2007, 09:27 AM
I picked up the July/August issue while traveling this week and was really quite impressed; except for Bicycle Quarterly, easily the best of the US mags, imho. Disposable bike reviews but I thought the rest was a decent read. I liked it much better than the copy of ROAD I also picked up. I'm the worlds worst proof reader and even I found about a dozen in that thing. And the layout is awful. One article stopped mid-sentence and continued on the other side of a differnt article. Kind of makes it difficult to enjoy what you're reading. I want to like ROAD but always seem to be disappointed by it.

jimi

The tubeless road tire review was good and the interview with Rik Hjertberg was interesting. Room to improve, but definitely better than ROAD.

jthurow
06-07-2007, 10:29 AM
The tubeless road tire review was good and the interview with Rik Hjertberg was interesting. Room to improve, but definitely better than ROAD.
My thoughts exactly. Great minds must think alike... ;)

I'm suspect about both the tubeless road tires and some of what Rik said, but both articles did hold my interest.

jimi