PDA

View Full Version : Campy + Shimano Mix and Match

coylifut
06-06-2007, 06:54 AM
I remember when DA 10 arrived (what was that 4 years ago?) and I immediately broke my rear wheel and had to borrow a Campy 10 wheel. I used it for 2 weeks without issue. I didn't have to turn the barrel adjuster. I posted my experience at the time and somone here prooved mathmatically it wouldn't work and the fact that I was riding it without problem confirmed that I was delusional. Since then, I've taken a wheel change here and there without problem, but only for brief ammounts of time.

So, I'm wondering - has anyone here mixed and matched DA/Campy 10 drive trains over a longer periods of time? If you have, does it shift well? Are there any other issues? Like to chains and cogs have a shorter life span?

Serotta_James
06-06-2007, 07:41 AM
I put the majority of my miles in on a mixed drivetrain bike last year.
In my case I was using the following setup:

Rear Der - Chorus
Front Der - Dura Ace
Shifters - Chorus
Crank - Dura Ace
Brakes - Chorus
Chain - Campy 10

Mostly I used campy cassettes, but I was able to use a shimano wheels without too much issue when I needed to. The shifting was never as good, but it did get the job done.

jhcakilmer
06-06-2007, 08:15 AM
I ride all campy, except for cassette, and ofcourse wheels, and they are perfect. I've found that they take a little longer to get perfect, but once there, they are flawless.

Shimano makes great cassettes, and they're cheap....I bought my Ultegra 12-25 for $35, in opposed to over $100 for a chorus.......crazy campy!!!

Dave B
06-06-2007, 08:46 AM
I think ergott posted something about the use of 3mm spacers with shimano cassettes for use with campy drive train. I may be off with the size, but check under the search tool and look for his posts.

chrisroph
06-06-2007, 09:07 AM
I remember when DA 10 arrived (what was that 4 years ago?) and I immediately broke my rear wheel and had to borrow a Campy 10 wheel. I used it for 2 weeks without issue. I didn't have to turn the barrel adjuster. I posted my experience at the time and somone here prooved mathmatically it wouldn't work and the fact that I was riding it without problem confirmed that I was delusional. Since then, I've taken a wheel change here and there without problem, but only for brief ammounts of time.

So, I'm wondering - has anyone here mixed and matched DA/Campy 10 drive trains over a longer periods of time? If you have, does it shift well? Are there any other issues? Like to chains and cogs have a shorter life span?

you thinking of borrowing more of my wheels?

Ken Robb
06-06-2007, 10:44 AM
I ran a Campy 10 spd. cassette with all Dura Ace 10spd. group for a short time. It worked but the chain noise increased when I shifted away from the middle cogs probably due to the spacing error between the cogs increasing so I think it's an ok stopgap but not what I would want for the long haul. I think the cassette, shifters, and rear derailer should match.

sfscott
06-06-2007, 11:30 AM
I am running full Record 10-speed except for a DA triple crankset and front DR.

It works fine, although I still prefer the Campy front shifters. Unfortunately, campy is not making a triple with UltraDrive.

If you run the DA cranks, seriously look into getting a ceramic bearing set for your BB. The DA is sticky. Campy has them beat there.

bfd
06-06-2007, 11:40 AM
I am running full Record 10-speed except for a DA triple crankset and front DR.

It works fine, although I still prefer the Campy front shifters. Unfortunately, campy is not making a triple with UltraDrive.

Huh? Aren't all Campy left ergo levers "triple compatible?" Or have the new QR levers changed that? If so, what a mistake!

cadence231
06-07-2007, 01:49 PM
I have been running my SRM with a shimano big ring (changed when worn)and everthing else campy 10spd for at least 50,0000 miles of experience. No complaints :) .

Jeff N.
06-07-2007, 04:01 PM
As i've always believed, never mix Record and Dura Ace. They'll just argue. :rolleyes: Jeff n.

weisan
06-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Using Campy 8 ergo shifters (gifted from Bill Bove-pal), Ultegra 9-spd everything else.

Not perfect, make noise, don't care, looks cool, easy on the eyes, reminds me of Bill-pal's generosity every now and then....it's all good.

NateM
06-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Record 10 shifters,F&R der's,FSA Compact SLK cranks.
Velomax Ascent w/Shimano Ult 10 sp cass/Da 10 sp chain. +1/2 turn Der tension Shifts ok.
Zip 303 w/Campy 10 speed cass/Campy 10 chain.Shifts great.
I probably dont have to switch chains when I switch wheels but I figure I should make a small offering to the Mixed Gods and they last longer.

Dave
06-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Huh? Aren't all Campy left ergo levers "triple compatible?" Or have the new QR levers changed that? If so, what a mistake!

The poster meant Ultra-torque (outboard bearing crank), not Ultra-drive.

Quick shift (QS) shifters merely provide quicker engagement of the finger lever. Campy levers are still triple compatible. The double FDs are QS models with a longer lever arm for easier shifting, but as far as I know the triple FDs are not QS. It takes 5 clicks (a full sweep) of the finger lever to shift a triple FD from the little ring to the middle ring. Unless the QS ergo lever can execute more clicks, you can't make the lever arm longer on a triple FD. I'll have one soon and report.