PDA

View Full Version : Do dealers "deal" on Serottas?

Oilcan
06-05-2007, 01:14 PM
My LBS indicated that there is no wiggle room on Serotta. Is that the case? I assume it is up to the dealer to decide and it appears that Serotta is worth every penny. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Reason I ask is I was originally thinking about spending around 2k on a new ride. Then I found the CDA and I'm actually contemplating it for $1895 (frame only) and swapping out my components.

shinomaster
06-05-2007, 01:16 PM
I've seen them on sale before...probably last years models though.

yeehawfactor
06-05-2007, 01:17 PM
a custom frame? no.

Ozz
06-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Not typically on the custom frames....you might have more luck getting a break on the complete bike rather than just the frame/fork.

And yes, they are worth it...imho. :beer:

Ti Designs
06-05-2007, 02:16 PM
My LBS indicated that there is no wiggle room on Serotta. Is that the case? I assume it is up to the dealer to decide and it appears that Serotta is worth every penny. Does anyone have any thoughts?

No, I have no thoughts.

rdparadise
06-05-2007, 02:17 PM
You can obtain leftovers at off invoice prices but that is about it for new stuff. Recently, Serotta themselves were peddling some test models and such on their own website.

I picked up a stock 56cm Legend earlier this year from a dealer in Kansas. I'm in NJ. It was a 2004 St model with no slope, standard geometry. Found it right here on the Serotta Forum.

When you are dealing in custom sizing, like the CDI and any other Serotta model, you're paying list whenever you place your order.

Good luck. The CDI is worth it. I still have a Csi that I bought used in 2000.

Regards,

Bob

Oilcan
06-05-2007, 03:02 PM
I was assuming that would be the case with custom, but one never knows. Thank you for the feedback!

97CSI
06-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Stock sizes have room to negotiate. As stated above, often quite a bit on a year or two old frameset that hasn't moved. Some great deals to be had at the right dealer.

Forgot to mention that you'll have to call around. Not many LBSs advertise any discounts.

davids
06-05-2007, 03:10 PM
No, I have no thoughts.
I thought you had a thought...

Ahneida Ride
06-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Generally, the answer is NO! Expect to pay list or very near list.

You may find a dealer with a little wiggle room, but if you do, consider
yourself lucky. You may get a discount on paint options ... and other
frame options .... ( rack mounts, extra water bottle mounts ) ....
and then again .... you may not .....

You should expect the components to be priced fairly, if you purchase a
complete bike.

The objective is to locate an experienced fitter you can trust and work
with.

The only way to get a "dealski" on a Serotta is to locate an exemplary
used bike .... or to find a leftover or "demo" in your size. If you are outa
the bell curve, this is a very low probability event and you could wait a
long time. The first dealski that popped up that fit me was 5 years after I
purchased my custom Legend.

A good LBS puts a lot of time into a custom Serotta. They deserve their
profit.

I hope I have not offended anyone. ;)

regularguy412
06-05-2007, 03:35 PM
No, I have no thoughts.

-- how many times I laugh out loud reading this forum. I guess it's comforting to know that there are at least a 'few' out there who have minds about as twisted as mine.

Thanks for the humor -- :beer:

Mike in AR