PDA

View Full Version : Frame overhaul by Serotta - Cost?

Dekonick
06-05-2007, 12:02 PM
I am just looking for a general dollar figure to have my Colorado CR checked, and have any tubes replaced as needed along with a simple paint job. This is the result of water damage to my basement where some corrosion has developed in the bottom bracket and along some of tubes. (The frame was leaning against the wall and we had a pipe leak for several months)

This may be an insurance claim, but more likely it will come from my own pocket.

Any help is appreciated.

Lugged steel - gotta love it.

regularguy412
06-05-2007, 01:03 PM
I just received my CSI back from Serotta last Wednesday. I had them braze new rear brake cable split stops on the top tube. There was also a one-color repaint with decals on the downtube, seat tube, chainstays and one 'S' on each side of the fork. The fork was also painted to match. The cost was approx. $600. I did not need to have any tubes replaced, as I had FrameSavered the internals when I first built it up in 1997.

There was a bit of a wait for my frame to come back -- about 16 weeks. I sent my frame in during the first week in February, this year. I subsequetnly found out that Serotta is doing a _LOT_ of re-furbs this year. At the time my frame arrived in NY, there were no less than five other CSI's having similar work done -- no telling how many other styles from previous years were also in the works. Strip it all down and send in the fork, as well. They found a loose dropout on my F1 fork and warrantied it even TEN YEARS later. I received a new, Ouzo Pro fork as a replacement-- free of charge. Now _THAT'S_ customer service. Just be prepared for a bit of a wait. My frame came back looking just as good as it did when I origially purchased it. The paint was even thicker. I found this out when I tried to use the same bolt to secure the front der. band clamp on the seat tube. It had suddenly become 'shorter'. I suspect this is because of the thicker clear coat.

Hope this helps.

Mike in AR

dave thompson
06-05-2007, 01:18 PM
I just received my CSI back from Serotta last Wednesday....<snip>..They found a loose dropout on my F1 fork and warrantied it even TEN YEARS later. I received a new, Ouzo Pro fork as a replacement-- free of charge....Now _THAT'S_ customer service...<snip>.....Mike in AR
This says it all. It answers the questions about why we ride and like Serotta.

Dekonick
06-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the replies. That seems a reasonable cost IMHO