PDA

View Full Version : Modern v-brake 29ers

lorenbike
05-01-2023, 07:09 PM
Recently I swapped drop bar mini-vs on my commuter for flat bars with regular v-brakes, and realized how I forgot just how good the stopping power is, and how simple they are to maintain. $100 will yield a solid shimano deore set up, and even some kool stop pads. No bleed kits, sponge levers over time, frequently swapping disc pads, and more noise than a Motorhead concert when the rotors get cooked.

My mtb is a 29+ hardtail that goes from susp fork to rigid fork to winter commuter and lately to singlespeed mode to make somewhat mellow trails more interesting again. 29 x 3.0 tires, I'll take discs all day, however 29x2.6 (how it's currently built)...2.4...maybe even 2.2, why not v-brakes?

(And yes, I've even ridden this bike fine at a downhill park -- no, I don't ever want v-brakes for that; and no I still want discs for sid vicious jackhammering on Milagrosa)

Simple v-brakes with modernish geo (short stem + wide bars) and a smooth rigid fork, a dropper post, and decent tire clearance; such a bike might just survive the apocalypse.

Like a more modernized original karate monkey (with canti and disc tabs), or a 29er version (and less pricey) than the Riv hillibike. Is there anything like this out there?

PacNW2Ford
05-01-2023, 07:45 PM
Maybe the Mone Hachita prototype all-rounder?
https://theradavist.com/mone-bikes-hachita-all-rounder/
If nothing else, it is the ultimate spare parts shop vac!

lorenbike
05-01-2023, 07:51 PM
^that looks cool! Was not aware of that.

PJN
05-01-2023, 08:00 PM
How modern is modernish geo?

For 27.5 crust wombat checks some boxes.

Not really sure what else is out there that fits all the design criteria. Might need to call waltworks for this one.

p nut
05-01-2023, 08:13 PM
They just had Rivendell Clem L’s hit, although most sold out. Keep an eye out on the used market. I had one and fit 29 x 2.6’s. The thing was a beast.

Jaybee
05-01-2023, 08:21 PM
I should probably just Google it, but what are you using for rims on a beast like this?

lorenbike
05-01-2023, 08:31 PM
How modern is modernish geo?

For 27.5 crust wombat checks some boxes.

Not really sure what else is out there that fits all the design criteria. Might need to call waltworks for this one.

Yea for us tall folks, I really like 29" wheels. The wombat is so close to what I'm looking for though.

lorenbike
05-01-2023, 08:32 PM
I'm thinking like a cross between one of the stooge scramblers, surly karate monkey, and a cheaper Jones, 29" wheels and tack on some v brakes.

PJN
05-01-2023, 09:54 PM
I'm thinking like a cross between one of the stooge scramblers, surly karate monkey, and a cheaper Jones, 29" wheels and tack on some v brakes.

You could probably find a hobbyists framebuilder to do that for you on your frame (and likely surly rigid fork) of choice. At that point + re-powdercoating will the juice be worth the squeeze?

What rims are you thinking? Velocity cliffhangers with machined side walls?

Matt92037
05-01-2023, 10:12 PM
If you get the frame and fork situation figured out you will need to hunt down a set of Avid Arch Supremes!

KonaSS
05-02-2023, 05:44 AM
Why not just get a good mechanical disc like Growtac?

lorenbike
05-02-2023, 06:46 AM
Why not just get a good mechanical disc like Growtac?

I'll probably suck it up and get klampers at some point.

But probably an expensive experiment, but I really just want to know how a modern MTB would ride with v brakes!

Lighter parts, less stout fork, probably would feel pretty cool. Pre boost/thru axles hubs would be cheap too.

p nut
05-02-2023, 08:08 AM
Lighter parts, less stout fork, probably would feel pretty cool. Pre boost/thru axles hubs would be cheap too.

At mass production level, I doubt you’d get any decent flex out of the fork. You’d need to go custom.

Also, if you’re ok with 27.5, there is always the Alumalith.

https://ronsbikes.com/products/a-l-u-m-a-l-i-t-h-frameset?variant=43977527296275

Edit: Another option is to get a steel frame (ie Karate Monkey, Krampus, Sir9, etc) and weld on brake posts (local guy said he’d do it for $150 when I looked into it last year). Then get a custom fork for $3-400. This would be cheaper than a full on custom.

charliedid
05-02-2023, 08:10 AM
Have it made....don't thank you will find what you're looking for stock.

lorenbike
05-02-2023, 08:27 AM
At mass production level, I doubt you’d get any decent flex out of the fork. You’d need to go custom.

Also, if you’re ok with 27.5, there is always the Alumalith.

https://ronsbikes.com/products/a-l-u-m-a-l-i-t-h-frameset?variant=43977527296275

Edit: Another option is to get a steel frame (ie Karate Monkey, Krampus, Sir9, etc) and weld on brake posts (local guy said he’d do it for $150 when I looked into it last year). Then get a custom fork for $3-400. This would be cheaper than a full on custom.

Yep have thought about welding brake studs too