PDA

View Full Version : Real world feedback on HED Ardennes RA Black?

XXtwindad
05-01-2023, 05:31 PM
I’ve always been a big fan of HED rims. Their Belgium Plus with CK r45 hubs was (is) an unbeatable combination. And their commitment to rim brake rims and wheel sets is commendable (also savvy from a business perspective, I think, since so few companies are making them)

I’m really intrigued by the HED Ardennes RA Black wheels. Certainly, HED has spared no superlative in touting them:

“We’re just going to come out and say it: no other bike wheel on the market matches the Ardennes RA Black in total performance. From ride quality to weight to braking performance, the Ardennes RA Black combines HED’s signature Ardennes wheel design with black anodized Turbine Braking Technology – rim braking technology that rivals the performance of modern disc brake systems.”

https://hedcycling.com/products-wp/ardennes-ra-black/

They rival the performance of disc brake wheel sets for stopping ability? Really? I’m happy to plunk my money down (and they ain’t cheap) if that even comes close to the truth.

Feedback appreciated.

prototoast
05-01-2023, 05:35 PM
I had the Belgium rims with the black coating a few years back. If anything, it made the braking worse, but on the bright side it wore off really quickly.

I don't know if the Ardennes RA Black using a new blacking technology that works better, but I wouldn't spend my own money to find out.

XXtwindad
05-01-2023, 05:37 PM
I had the Belgium rims with the black coating a few years back. If anything, it made the braking worse, but on the bright side it wore off really quickly.

I don't know if the Ardennes RA Black using a new blacking technology that works better, but I wouldn't spend my own money to find out.

Well, that would be the exact antithesis of the HED claim. That’s pretty discouraging. Nice wide rim brake wheel sets are hard to come by.

nmrt
05-01-2023, 05:42 PM
In true and utterly annoying Paceline fashion, I am going to suggest an alternative: DT Swiss PR 1400 Dicut OXIC.

Superb wheelset. But yes, a bit narrow in the rim width.

David Kirk
05-01-2023, 05:46 PM
I’ve had the same set of Blacks on my road bike since I built it in 2017. The RA Black is not just a black sidewall….it’s got grooves machined into it and then it’s hard anodized. The braking is very good with lots of power and good progression. The one very small downside is that the set up makes a subtle “buzz” when using the brake. The first ride or two I noticed it and then I forgot all about it.

This has been my daily driver for years and the braking surface is still deep, dark black and the grooves haven’t changed at all. I’ve ridden these things in places they were not designed for and I’ve never had to take a spoke wrench to them. Id’ buy them again in a hot minute.

dave

Spdntrxi
05-01-2023, 05:55 PM
They are on my Moots when I am not riding tubs. Outstanding wheels and agree with David above.

tylercheung
05-01-2023, 06:00 PM
I’ve had the same set of Blacks on my road bike since I built it in 2017. The RA Black is not just a black sidewall….it’s got grooves machined into it and then it’s hard anodized. The braking is very good with lots of power and good progression. The one very small downside is that the set up makes a subtle “buzz” when using the brake. The first ride or two I noticed it and then I forgot all about it.

This has been my daily driver for years and the braking surface is still deep, dark black and the grooves haven’t changed at all. I’ve ridden these things in places they were not designed for and I’ve never had to take a spoke wrench to them. Id’ buy them again in a hot minute.

dave

Second this - I have a pair on Dave's recommendation, and they have been solid. 1x recall on something w/ the nipples need to be retightened or something, but I didn't really notice anything - HED reached out to me, and returned them with a nice handwritten note by Anne Hed herself. Braking is quite grabby and even sounds like carbon! Has remained true as well. There is a slight pinging noise when pedaling under load (i.e. uphill) but every HED wheel w/ Sonic hub I've had has done this.

Mark McM
05-01-2023, 06:08 PM
As above, the HED Black(tm) rim treatment is more than just a black coating, includes textured grooves cut into the brake track. I don't have as many miles on mine as Dave, but I find that they provide more braking power than a traditional flat aluminum brake track, and also have excellent braking in the wet.

As noted above, the Black(tm) brake tracks are louder than a traditional flat aluminum brake track (but not as loud as disc brake squeel). Another observation is that pad material can get scrubbed of the pads and collect in the grooves, so if you use colored (non-black) pads you'll end up with colored stripes on the brake tracks.

If direct mount brakes came out earlier and all rims had the HED Black(tm) brake track treatment, people would be less impressed with disc brakes (at least on road bikes).

DeBike
05-01-2023, 06:15 PM
I like seeing these reports on these wheels. I have 2 sets of Hed wheels, neither are RA black, Ardennes Performance disc and Hed Belgiums with 6800 hubs, and very much like both sets. I am sort of regretting not buying a set of the RA Black that were on a business closing sale for a bike shop in Baltimore. They were less than $700. Of course, I went back to the website to check on them, they were all gone.
I have seen reviews stating that the black now stays black, and braking is excellent.

2000m2
05-01-2023, 06:57 PM
These are sounding pretty nice and they look great.
Are special brake pads needed like for the Campy Shamal Mille wheels?

prototoast
05-01-2023, 07:28 PM
Well, that would be the exact antithesis of the HED claim. That’s pretty discouraging. Nice wide rim brake wheel sets are hard to come by.

Lucky for you, based on the other responses in this thread, it sounds like hed updated their black coating since I got my rims.

MarkY
05-01-2023, 08:19 PM
I haven't ridden the HED wheels, but do have the DT Swiss PR 1400 Dicut OXIC wheels. I like them. Probably over 5000 miles on them. Still all black braking surface. Great in wet and dry conditions.

mass_biker
05-01-2023, 08:57 PM
Love mine.
I have 3 of the HED “Black” wheels.
The Ardennes RA Black are my “light-ish” ones. The other two are the deeper (Jet 4, Jet 5) ones.
I have found them to be light, durable, snappy. The Ardennes are not super aero (unlike the Jets) but they do the job - and then some.
Concur with others - the coating on the rims does hold up. And I can ride/climb and descend with confidence. I would have zero issues riding these in any kind of conditions. And view these as truly performance type wheels.
I’m a big HED fan. And am always on the lookout to add more to the stable!
Vive le rim brake!

M_B

Coffee Rider
05-01-2023, 09:00 PM
This recommendation alone is going to get me to very seriously consider these as the wheels for my next rim bike.

I’ve had the same set of Blacks on my road bike since I built it in 2017.[] Id’ buy them again in a hot minute.

dave

Matt92037
05-01-2023, 09:09 PM
I have been eyeballing these wheels for a long time. The only thing that has given me pause is the price and the low weight/spoke count.

Are these wheels plenty stout for somebody ~195lbs?

XXtwindad
05-01-2023, 09:10 PM

dave

Duly noted. Seems to be the consensus. I feel pretty good about springing for them.

geordanh
05-01-2023, 10:18 PM
I’m hoarding sets. :D These wheels are sweet.

I do wish they made a higher spoke count version, and I still wish they would sell these rim only.

These are road wheels. If you get rowdy on gravel, they will go out of true. Cruisy road gravel they are fine, but I did a couple cross races and some more single tracky gravel rides and put my set out of true pretty nicely. I’m 165 and reasonably light over the bumpy stuff.

Not sure if bici Sonora still has his set of RC4s for sale, but those are basically the same wheel with an aero fairing and are totally sweet.

Would reiterate that black pads are the way to go. Clean your pads regularly. If you get a rock stuck in them they’ll cut nice silver racing stripes in the brake track.

zzy
05-02-2023, 12:57 AM
To reiterate what was already said, the rims are noticeably better in the wet and wear slowly. But they do wear pads faster.

GreenJersey
05-02-2023, 01:27 AM
Shaman mille seems to be discontinued and the DT Swiss Oxic are not particularly exciting due to the inner width.

Are there any alternatives to the black Ardennes RA if one wants alloy rims with black surface? Does anyone know if the new Boyd Altamont will have a black surface?

oldpotatoe
05-02-2023, 06:20 AM
I have been eyeballing these wheels for a long time. The only thing that has given me pause is the price and the low weight/spoke count.

Are these wheels plenty stout for somebody ~195lbs?

No such thing as a free lunch..Not light rims but thin spokes and not a lot of them. Too bad HED doesn't offer this(or any other right now) rim in higher spoke count. Like 24, 28 or 32h....BUT HED wants to sell wheels. Private label hubs, these rims, for $1300...Nice payday for HED....

But for above, 'plenty stout'?...a big maybe.

fried bake
05-02-2023, 06:37 AM
Shaman mille seems to be discontinued and the DT Swiss Oxic are not particularly exciting due to the inner width.

Are there any alternatives to the black Ardennes RA if one wants alloy rims with black surface? Does anyone know if the new Boyd Altamont will have a black surface?

I have a set of Vision kb 30 which are 19 internal. As with HED, great braking in dry or wet and sidewall stays black. Cheaper than the others cited but you may want even wider IW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jm714
05-02-2023, 08:04 AM
No such thing as a free lunch..Not light rims but thin spokes and not a lot of them. Too bad HED doesn't offer this(or any other right now) rim in higher spoke count. Like 24, 28 or 32h....BUT HED wants to sell wheels. Private label hubs, these rims, for $1300...Nice payday for HED....

Before I saw the post on these wheels yesterday I had reached out to HED about options for more spokes. They used to offer their the whole Ardennes line in a “Stallion” build which was a 24/28 build. They responded they only offer a 28 hole rim in the Jet RC line.

They do have rim brake wheels on sale for 15% off right now.

8aaron8
05-02-2023, 08:05 AM
I can add to the fanfare here, I've had these for around 4 years now. Really great braking, noticeably better than standard aluminum brake tracks which I feel brake fantastically. They do eat pads a little faster and they do make a unique, though not annoying, sounds when the brakes are applied. The coating on my set has yet to show signs of deterioration and I have used them in the wet. I too have no doubts I will get another pair if these should die on me.

nmrt
05-02-2023, 08:18 AM
anyone weigh their HED Ardennes Black wheelset? I'm looking for an actual weight.

Matt92037
05-02-2023, 09:14 AM
Agreed 100%.

XXtwindad
05-02-2023, 09:35 AM

Hi Dave (or anyone else that gave the wheels glowing reviews) -

Is this a problem? I go 195ish. Definitely no lightweight. Thanks.

tomato coupe
05-02-2023, 10:28 AM
It's funny that HED offers these wheels with a Campy free hub, but with the following:
Campy N3W Ekar only

zero85ZEN
05-02-2023, 10:30 AM
Love mine. Have three pair. Have never had a problem with coating wearing off. But I don’t make a habit of riding in the rain. And I follow the directions and never use them with pads that have touched regular rims. (Metal shavings that get imbedded in previously used pads can ruin the coated surface.)

Mark McM
05-02-2023, 10:38 AM
It's funny that HED offers these wheels with a Campy free hub, but with the following:

The HED text is misleading. Although HED's current Campagnolo compatible freehub is of the N3W type (and therefore works with Ekar), they also include the adapter for use with previous cassette types, so the freehub works perfectly with the 10/11/12spd cassettes from the non-Ekar Campagnolo groups.

tomato coupe
05-02-2023, 10:44 AM
The HED text is misleading.

Yeah, that's the point ...

Mark McM
05-02-2023, 10:57 AM
Yeah, that's the point ...

And also by observation of recent HED product selection and availability, I think a lot of issues discussed here are mostly about supply chain issues. HED used to sell a wider selection of rims, and rims and wheels with more spokes, before the COVID induced supply chain issues. For example, they used to sell the bare carbon rims from their Vanquish wheels separately (and in a variety of different spoke drillings), but they stopped selling them separately in early 2021, apparently so that they has sufficient stock to make complete wheels. I think the same is true for the Campagnolo freehubs - they used to sell both the standard 9/10/11/12spd freehubs and N3W freehubs, but now just sell the N3W version, most likely because it is easier to source a single freehub body than 2 different freehub bodies.

When (and if) the supply chain issues are resolved, I think it is likely that they will go back to selling more of their bar rims, and to making rims and wheels in more spoke numbers.

tomato coupe
05-02-2023, 11:06 AM
And also by observation of recent HED product selection and availability ...
I hate to have to explain this ... it's funny because the wheels are rim brake, and "Ekar only" means disc brakes.

jm714
05-02-2023, 11:30 AM

HED customer service say weight limit of 240 on these wheels

Spdntrxi
05-02-2023, 12:44 PM
anyone weigh their HED Ardennes Black wheelset? I'm looking for an actual weight.

.92 F
1.1 R

with Clement strada LGG 25c + Butyl tubs (conti race light ) you can do the rest of the math.

Waldo62
05-02-2023, 05:37 PM
This is not regarding HED rims, but about Campagnolo's Mille treatment of its alloy rims, which I imagine is similar. I did not Mille version of Shamals. I did not like the sound. I did not like that the treatment was rubbing off almost from the start. I did not like that Campagnolo wanted you to use new brake pads on new Mille rims for fear that any particles imbedded in previously used pads may mar the finish of Mille rims. I did not find performance of Mille rims superior to that of standard Shamals.

NateM
05-02-2023, 06:31 PM
Can anyone tell me how loud the freehub is on the RA Blacks,Campy,Shimano?
They say 5 pawls and 45 points of engagement.....

jimoots
05-02-2023, 06:35 PM
This is not regarding HED rims, but about Campagnolo's Mille treatment of its alloy rims, which I imagine is similar. I did not Mille version of Shamals. I did not like the sound. I did not like that the treatment was rubbing off almost from the start. I did not like that Campagnolo wanted you to use new brake pads on new Mille rims for fear that any particles imbedded in previously used pads may mar the finish of Mille rims. I did not find performance of Mille rims superior to that of standard Shamals.

Based on the feedback on the HED Black rims, I don't think they are similar.

geordanh
05-02-2023, 09:12 PM
Before I saw the post on these wheels yesterday I had reached out to HED about options for more spokes. They used to offer their the whole Ardennes line in a “Stallion” build which was a 24/28 build. They responded they only offer a 28 hole rim in the Jet RC line.

They do have rim brake wheels on sale for 15% off right now.

Well now… isn’t that interesting. I always wondered why some of these were marketed that way. Turns out one of my near new sets is 28/20 weird. But I’ll take it!

November Dave
05-03-2023, 09:46 AM
Based on the feedback on the HED Black rims, I don't think they are similar.

They aren't. The Shamal and DT wheels have a plasma electrolytic oxidation process done to them to make them black. The HED rims are mechanically textured and then anodized. This is why the HED rims produce the braking sound that's been described a few times in this thread, as well as why they go through brake pads at a quicker rate also as described in this thread.

madsciencenow
05-03-2023, 10:11 AM
They aren't. The Shamal and DT wheels have a plasma electrolytic oxidation process done to them to make them black. The HED rims are mechanically textured and then anodized. This is why the HED rims produce the braking sound that's been described a few times in this thread, as well as why they go through brake pads at a quicker rate also as described in this thread.

IF memory serves, Mavic had a set of rims with a braking track that was textured and anodized like the HED rims being discussed here. I really liked those rims for braking and they were super light weight. The downside of those rims is they were much more narrow and they had proprietary spokes from Mavic. These are a very appealing option that I was not aware of until this post. Thanks for all who have contributed to date.

mhespenheide
05-03-2023, 12:55 PM
IF memory serves, Mavic had a set of rims with a braking track that was textured and anodized like the HED rims being discussed here.

Their ceramic rims? Late 2000's or so, narrow by modern standards. But great braking in wet conditions.

Kirk007
05-03-2023, 01:56 PM
I've got Ardennes black and Jet 4 Black and really like both. Josh I've got you beat on weight and so far, knock on wood, they've been perfectly true. And HED has been good to work with (one of the wheels was recalled and replaced). My recollection is the measured weight was very close to the advertised 1430g for the set.

XXtwindad
05-03-2023, 03:28 PM
I've got Ardennes black and Jet 4 Black and really like both. Josh I've got you beat on weight and so far, knock on wood, they've been perfectly true. And HED has been good to work with (one of the wheels was recalled and replaced). My recollection is the measured weight was very close to the advertised 1430g for the set.

Thanks Greg. I think I'm sold. I've also been told (and seen here) that HED's customer service is outstanding, so it's kind of a no-brainer at this point.

tylercheung
05-03-2023, 06:08 PM
Can anyone tell me how loud the freehub is on the RA Blacks,Campy,Shimano?
They say 5 pawls and 45 points of engagement.....

I would say very roughly about the same as a Chris King hub when new. Louder than the 8 year old one I have now...

JasonF
05-03-2023, 06:49 PM
Thanks to all the great feedback here, especially from Dave Kirk, I ordered a pair last night and got the 15% discount.

Seems that they're "in stock" as they're already in transit to me.

Here's another positive review from a SoCal dealer:
https://youtu.be/v9NYh9B_1hU

jimoots
05-03-2023, 07:05 PM

Is the HED anodizing technique novel in itself? I just ask as any anodized rims I've owned haven't fared well, so curious why HED anodizing seem weems to be quite durable in that sense.

David Kirk
05-03-2023, 08:01 PM
Is the HED anodizing technique novel in itself? I just ask as any anodized rims I've owned haven't fared well, so curious why HED anodizing seem weems to be quite durable in that sense.

I *think* that it's a 'hard anodization' and not the run-of-the-mill ano just for color. Hard ano is deeper and much harder.

My sidewalls are solid black after 5+ years of use...much of it on dirt roads. That stuff ain't goin no where.

dave

moobikes
05-03-2023, 10:52 PM
I have a set of the textured Ardennes Black wheels and they are just really super solid. Been thru numerous rainy rides and the rims don't show even a little bit of the usual wear patterns you'd see on regular alloy tims.

Another clue: there's next to none of the black gunk that usually builds up on alloy rims as they wear down.

jimoots
05-03-2023, 11:09 PM
That's really cool feedback. I ride alloys in the wet, but like the look of black wheels, these fit that bill.

Now, if only they sold them by the rim. Can only hope that in future that happens.

November Dave
05-04-2023, 05:34 AM
I *think* that it's a 'hard anodization' and not the run-of-the-mill ano just for color. Hard ano is deeper and much harder.

My sidewalls are solid black after 5+ years of use...much of it on dirt roads. That stuff ain't goin no where.

dave

Yes, this. Anodization is far from a monolithic thing, there are a bunch of different specs and additives that change the properties.

HED is good at processing alloy rims. They are the **only** aluminum rim we’ve never had a warranty on. I credit their shot-peening process with a lot of the durability of their rims. Again, this is a thing where there are other techniques that are similar but not the same.

There are other very good alloy rims, and ones that hit different points on the price/quality scale, but to say a rim from xxx is just as good as a HED rim is, in my experience and opinion, misplaced.

That said, they’re never going to sell their black rims as rims, only wheels. They didn’t for 5 or 7 years before the pandemic and showed no signs of ever doing so. It ain’t gonna happen.

jimoots
05-04-2023, 05:52 AM
Bummer! Thanks for the extra info

avalonracing
05-04-2023, 06:07 AM
Thanks to all the great feedback here, especially from Dave Kirk, I ordered a pair last night and got the 15% discount.

Seems that they're "in stock" as they're already in transit to me.

Here's another positive review from a SoCal dealer:
https://youtu.be/v9NYh9B_1hU

Did you buy the last pair? They seem to be out of stock now.

And check out the pressure chart on the page. Do these maximum pressures seem very low to anyone? Only up to 75psi for a 25c tire: https://hedcycling.com/products-wp/ardennes-ra-black/

PaMtbRider
05-04-2023, 06:35 AM
Did you buy the last pair? They seem to be out of stock now.

And check out the pressure chart on the page. Do these maximum pressures seem very low to anyone? Only up to 75psi for a 25c tire: https://hedcycling.com/products-wp/ardennes-ra-black/

I looked at the pressure chart and thought the same thing.

Spdntrxi
05-04-2023, 08:02 AM
they say it outright but could that be tubeless pressure max?? that would make sense

lavi
05-04-2023, 03:26 PM

No issues with these, bub. I had a set. Shocker. They rocked...and were just fine for my fat ass.

holliscx
05-05-2023, 07:29 AM
Does anyone have the DT Swiss PR 1400 DICUT OXIC wheelset and know how they would handle off-road? I can't say the G word but want to use these on dirt. The Ardennes logo in white on an otherwise black wheelset is too loud for my taste. I don't care for the supergraphic aesthetic.

XXtwindad
05-05-2023, 08:11 AM
Does anyone have the DT Swiss PR 1400 DICUT OXIC wheelset and know how they would handle off-road? I can't say the G word but want to use these on dirt. The Ardennes logo in white on an otherwise black wheelset is too loud for my taste. I don't care for the supergraphic aesthetic.

If there’s a drawback to these wheels, then that’s it. I did inquire at HED about removing the graphics. No dice. They’re etched in.

holliscx
05-05-2023, 08:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AxwaszFbDw

2000m2
06-16-2023, 08:34 PM
With all of the positive comments & feedback here, I ended up ordering a set of these and took HED up on their 15% discount code (Melting15). Looking forward to trying them out when they arrive next week!

2000m2
06-22-2023, 01:37 PM
I’m pretty stoked about these wheels. First ride this morning and they felt great. Super smooth and as fast feeling as some deeper profile carbon tubular wheels I use as well.

I called Hed to ask about the tire pressures they specify and was told it applies to tubeless or with tubes.

Also, received an email this morning from Hed for 15% off rim brake wheels: RimBrake15

ah87
06-22-2023, 11:46 PM
I’m pretty stoked about these wheels. First ride this morning and they felt great. Super smooth and as fast feeling as some deeper profile carbon tubular wheels I use as well.

I called Hed to ask about the tire pressures they specify and was told it applies to tubeless or with tubes.

Also, received an email this morning from Hed for 15% off rim brake wheels: RimBrake15
Thanks for the discount code!

I've been looking at these wheels for my CAAD12 rim brake build, but for some reason can't see an axle width anywhere. I bought this exact build (https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/cannondale-caad12-105-review) with Tektro brakes instead of 105 (I've bought some Ultegra R8000s to replacee them with). Anyone know the width of the rear axle on the Ardennes RA Black? Or can think of any other reason why these wheels wouldn't work with my frame?

Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/zig6mm6gjs0hwc0ek5pet/IMG_5088.jpeg?raw=1

mhespenheide
06-23-2023, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the discount code!

I've been looking at these wheels for my CAAD12 rim brake build, but for some reason can't see an axle width anywhere. I bought this exact build (https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/cannondale-caad12-105-review) with Tektro brakes instead of 105 (I've bought some Ultegra R8000s to replacee them with). Anyone know the width of the rear axle on the Ardennes RA Black? Or can think of any other reason why these wheels wouldn't work with my frame?

Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/zig6mm6gjs0hwc0ek5pet/IMG_5088.jpeg?raw=1

They should work. 99% or more of road bikes from the last two decades that have quick releases have a standard width of 130mm in the rear. That's what these wheels have, and I'm very confident that's what your CAAD has.

ah87
06-23-2023, 05:58 AM
They should work. 99% or more of road bikes from the last two decades that have quick releases have a standard width of 130mm in the rear. That's what these wheels have, and I'm very confident that's what your CAAD has.
Alright, thank you!

zlin
07-01-2023, 07:36 PM

Hey, bike cousins!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230702/250be1988d04090deefb3a1274bdf6ab.jpg

2000m2
07-01-2023, 09:29 PM
Hey, bike cousins!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230702/250be1988d04090deefb3a1274bdf6ab.jpg

Nice!
Beautiful ride there 👍

vespajg
08-13-2023, 07:51 PM
I lucked out a few years back and snagged a set of ardennes black RIMS from HED. Long story. I built them up on my favorite hubs from White Industries and they have recently found a home on this new whip.

They were previously on Dura Ace equipped frames but I built this one up with Campy and the rims are eating through the pads much more quickly than I remember with the DA pads. It’s been commented on and/or asked several times in this thread but I don’t think anyone has commented on WHAT pads they’ve used other than to say to use “black” pads.

So, any experience with SwissStop…black or blue, or Koolstop black or green?

Others?

PS - I really like the black rims. Most of my wheelsets are WI hubs laced to Hed Belgium + or these Ardennes. The perfect wheel IMO.

Andy340
08-13-2023, 08:20 PM
I lucked out a few years back and snagged a set of ardennes black RIMS from HED. Long story. I built them up on my favorite hubs from White Industries and they have recently found a home on this new whip.

They were previously on Dura Ace equipped frames but I built this one up with Campy and the rims are eating through the pads much more quickly than I remember with the DA pads. It’s been commented on and/or asked several times in this thread but I don’t think anyone has commented on WHAT pads they’ve used other than to say to use “black” pads.

So, any experience with SwissStop…black or blue, or Koolstop black or green?

Others?

PS - I really like the black rims. Most of my wheelsets are WI hubs laced to Hed Belgium + or these Ardennes. The perfect wheel IMO.

SwissStop BXP (blue) should work - I use them on Fulcrum zero nite and DT Swiss Oxic (both peo treated rims similar to Hed black). First set wears quickly as rim beds in with pad but after that last as long as other pads.

XXtwindad
01-31-2024, 11:11 AM
I might be making some serious changes to the stable. I really like the aesthetics (that was the initial attention) but I’m more concerned about functionality at this point.

Has anyone used these wheels often in wet conditions? Do they really come close to the stopping power of discs? Or get reasonably close? Thanks for any feedback.

Spdntrxi
01-31-2024, 11:24 AM
have not done a really wet ride.. so IDK. Dont really plan to either so I might never know. I have disc brake bikes for the wet.:cool:

Wunder
01-31-2024, 01:26 PM
I might be making some serious changes to the stable. I really like the aesthetics (that was the initial attention) but I’m more concerned about functionality at this point.

Has anyone used these wheels often in wet conditions? Do they really come close to the stopping power of discs? Or get reasonably close? Thanks for any feedback.

Haven't ridden these but have over 10k miles on AForce AL33 ceramic (really PEO treated like the DT oxic and I think HED black) with Swiss Stop BLUE BXP pads. As above first set of pads got chewed quick (maybe 1000 miles) but I've had the second set on for years. Excellent performance, feel, and modulation in all conditions. They're no longer black but still fairly dark and look good.

Hilltopperny
01-31-2024, 02:12 PM
The brake tracks appears to be pretty robust, so with the right pad combo I have no reason to believe these won't have very good stopping power. I have a set on my most recent build, but pesky winter weather has been persistent since building up the bike, so no real world experience yet.

Baron Blubba
02-01-2024, 01:20 PM
These wheels and the nice things everyone is saying about them intrigue me. I've never tried HED's.
Can anyone with actual riding experience compare these wheels to either the Dura Ace C24 9000/9100 series (what I currently have and like a lot) or Campy Bora WTO 33 or 45's?

Thanks!