View Full Version : What's 20 years?? Ned takes down Floyd

andy mac
06-05-2007, 07:01 AM
what an athlete! from velo news:

Overend tops at Vail hill climb; Landis gets much attention

By Fred Dreier
VeloNews associate editor
June 4, 2007
Organizers of the 2007 Teva Mountain Games were quick to credit the "Floyd Factor" for the record number of participants registered for the Trek Hill Climb, a 9.8-mile road time-trial up Colorado's Vail Pass.

Landis' appearance drew a lot of attention

More than 150 elite and amateur cyclists showed up for the event - 40 more than in 2006. For all riders, the race was a unique chance to test their legs against that of Floyd Landis, the embattled 2006 Tour de France Champ.

For Landis, the ride marked his first road race since he learned that he had tested positive for exogenous testosterone after stage 17 of the 2006 Tour. The 31-year-old Landis was at the Vail, Colorado games competing as part of a three-member Athletes for a Cure team in the Ultimate Mountain Challenge, a team event that combined kayaking, mountain-bike racing, running and the road time trial.

Landis was the final rider to leave the starting ramp in downtown Vail. Missing were the time trial helmet, aero' bike and skinsuit that helped him claim time trial victories at the Tour. Gone, too, was at least some of the world-class fitness that put him into the yellow jersey less than a year ago.

Despite a chilly drizzle, a mass of fans surrounded the starting gate, urging Landis to try and catch his minute man, mountain-bike legend, 51-year-old Ned Overend. Overend, the reigning hill climb champ, hit the course sporting aero bars, a sizable time trial helmet and a skin suit from the local Durango, Colorado Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory team.

"We'll see, I'm not so hot at altitude," Landis replied.

At 51, Overend shows no interest in slowing down

A day earlier Landis made his return to mountain-bike racing during the 21-mile cross-country mountain-bike race. Landis finished 39th, putting in a 2:04 effort that put him nearly 25 minutes behind the winner, Vail local Jay Henry.

Sunday's time-trial course posed a shorter and admittedly less daunting challenge. The course sent riders on a flat, slightly downhill drag race out of Vail on a frontage road for Interstate 70, before ascending 1500 vertical feet on Bighorn road. The climb is stretched out over three miles, and climbs at a steady six-percent grade. Andy Hampsten's record of 26:33.43, set during the 1987 Coors Classic, still stands.

Although the ascent was closed to all motor traffic, organizers allowed a chase car to follow Landis up the climb. Once he finished, Landis climbed into the car and was whisked out of the late-afternoon Colorado drizzle that turned to hail and corn snow at the higher altitude. Others weren't so lucky, and had to descend through the precipitation.

Landis posted the eighth-fastest time on the day, three minutes behind Overend who again took the title. The Durango, Colorado native rode the course in 27:29, averaging 21.18 miles per hour from start to finish. Former Motorola pro' Michael Carter finished second at 28:35 with Xterra triathlete Josiah Middaugh rounding out the podium.

At the awards ceremony, race organizers presented Overend with his winner's medal, as well as a check for $2000.

"Man, this is like the good ol' days," said Overend, comparing the cash payout to the prize purses he earned at NORBA national races in the early 1990s.

Landis was at the awards presentation as well - his Athletes for a Cure team of kayaker Tao Berman and runner Andy Ames finished third in the competition. Overend's team of kayaker Pat Keller and runner Matt Carpenter took home top honors.

The trip to Vail to race in what is now a non-sanctioned event was a welcome return to cycling for Landis, who has spent the last six months embroiled in a fight against the U.S. Anti Doping Agency over his positive test. USADA and Landis squared off in an arbitration hearing May 15-23 in Malibu, California in front of the North American Arbitration Association.

The outcome of that hearing will decide whether Landis keeps his Tour victory or forfeits his crown and faces a two-year ban from cycling and another two-year exclusion from the ranks of the ProTour.

2007 Teva Mountain Games Trek Hill Climb
Open Men
1. Ned Overend, 9.8 miles in 27:29 (21.8mph)
2. Michael Carter, 28:35
3. Josiah Middaugh, 28:54
4. Mike Janell, 29:10
5. Greg Krause, 29:17
6. Jay Henry, 29:18
7. Ross Schnell, 30:24
8. Floyd Landis, 30:27
9. Lars Finanger, 30:28
10. Jimmy Mortensen, 30:51

Open Women
1. Pua Sawicki, 9.8 miles in 38:27 (15.14mph)
2. Jenny Smith (NZ), 38:35
3. Chloe Forsman, 39:18
4. Keri Nelson, 39:52
5. Emily Finanger, 40:00
6. Kristina Maier, 40:01
7. Gretchen Reeves, 40:10
8. Lisa Isom, 42:13
9. Virginia Betty, 45:35
10. Maria Noriega, 46:51

Smiley
06-05-2007, 07:41 AM
Is Landis riding with a new hip ?

David Kirk
06-05-2007, 07:44 AM
Ned is, was and will always be the KING.

Not bad for an old retired guy.

Dave

soulspinner
06-05-2007, 07:57 AM
What do people realistically think Floyds gonna do? New hip, conditioning not there. A former mt bike racer finishing 28th in a mt bike race last week as well?

Climb01742
06-05-2007, 07:58 AM
the past two years, ned was at mount washington. ned kicks ***. he's the most fit 51 YO you'll ever see. each year i saw ned twice...at the start line and at the finishline...long after he'd finished. and both times, he looked fresh as a daisy at the finish...damn him! :D

gt6267a
06-05-2007, 08:34 AM
What do people realistically think Floyds gonna do? New hip, conditioning not there. A former mt bike racer finishing 28th in a mt bike race last week as well?

I think it would be foolish for Floyd to win either race. Other competitors might be cool with him riding and enjoy him bringing extra publicity to the event as long as he isn’t really in the competition. But, if an ex-tour champ / potential druggie who is only riding this event because he can’t race in Europe trashes everyone and takes the glory from the people … to an outsider that looks bad and I imagine the competitors dislike that as well … I am thinking Tyler and Mt Washington last year. His win did not go over so well if I remember.

Even if his fitness was there, and why would it be given that he can’t really race, I think it smart not to win on mtn bike, on road bike, on a tricycle, on a …

barry1021
06-05-2007, 08:37 AM
the past two years, ned was at mount washington. ned kicks ***. he's the most fit 51 YO you'll ever see. each year i saw ned twice...at the start line and at the finishline...long after he'd finished. and both times, he looked fresh as a daisy at the finish...damn him! :D

over a course that has a three mile 6% grade. Overend rules!

b21

soulspinner
06-05-2007, 08:46 AM
I think it would be foolish for Floyd to win either race. Other competitors might be cool with him riding and enjoy him bringing extra publicity to the event as long as he isn’t really in the competition. But, if an ex-tour champ / potential druggie who is only riding this event because he can’t race in Europe trashes everyone and takes the glory from the people … to an outsider that looks bad and I imagine the competitors dislike that as well … I am thinking Tyler and Mt Washington last year. His win did not go over so well if I remember.

Even if his fitness was there, and why would it be given that he can’t really race, I think it smart not to win on mtn bike, on road bike, on a tricycle, on a …

Good point...

J.Greene
06-05-2007, 08:47 AM
This says more about Ned than it does Floyd. Ned is still very competitive and very active. Floyd....well we all know he drinks too much whisky.

JG

gdw
06-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Interesting article. Landis was a controversial figure at the games and wasn't welcomed with open arms by a number of the competitors.
Velonews has him finishing 39th in the cross country MTB race while the local papers reportedthat he came in 49th. Perhaps those missing 10 riders were disqualified for doping? :D
http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20070604/SPORTS/70604016

Vancouverdave
06-05-2007, 06:50 PM
The inspiring part is that Overend's time is slightly less than a minute slower than the record set by a 25 year old, full-time-racing Andrew Hampsten. Ned Overend is everybody's good example!

SadieKate
06-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Ned is, was and will always be the KING.

Not bad for an old retired guy.

Dave

2006 Nevada City Classic Results

"After the notoriously difficult 1.1-mile course whittled down the field to a group of roughly 20 riders almost instantaneously," whose autograph do you think I got at the end?*

1 Scott Moninger HealthNet/Maxxis
2 Gordon McCauley Successfulliving
3 Tony Cruz Toyota/United pro cycling team
4 Olson Aaron Saunier Duval Pro Cycling Team
5 Jacques-Maynes Andy Cadence Performance
6 Overend edmund NA

*If your answer was for the guy born the same decade I was, you are correct.

RIHans
06-06-2007, 01:36 AM
Ned kicked butt here in Providence...And another blast from the past...Steve Tilford. Keeps me riding....Age is a number.

SponsorsWanted
06-06-2007, 04:41 AM
I'd like to know why Landis didn't ride his gift from Dario