PDA

View Full Version : My first tubeless puncture

buddybikes
04-28-2023, 04:02 PM
Cleaning my bike today noticed sticky stuff back of sea tube and seat stays. Couldn't figure why, we didn't ride through weird stuff. Then realized my Gravelkings/orange seal did its thing. About 5lbs pressure lost.

Assume cleanup with alcohol/soap and water?

MikeD
04-28-2023, 04:37 PM
Cleaning my bike today noticed sticky stuff back of sea tube and seat stays. Couldn't figure why, we didn't ride through weird stuff. Then realized my Gravelkings/orange seal did its thing. About 5lbs pressure lost.

Silca makes some a sealant remiver https://silca.cc/products/ultimate-sealant-remover. I haven't used it though. Rubbing it off with a rag is the only thing that worked for me. I still got sealant on my bike that I can't remove. Dried latex can't be dissolved with solvents, unfortunately.

makoti
04-28-2023, 04:55 PM

Tubeless puncture.
Tubed Flat.

bshell
04-28-2023, 11:59 PM
The Stan's I use has always come right off with water and my hand (or gently w/ a rag). Painted carbon and raw titanium frames. Zero issue.

I have a long, soft-ish brush from Park Tools that gets into the crannies around the front derailleur, chainstay/BB area, and seat stay/rim caliper areas.

jamesdak
04-29-2023, 07:58 AM
Tubeless puncture.
Tubed Flat.

:confused:

slambers3
04-29-2023, 09:20 AM
Rubbing alcohol with a bit of rubbing/agitation cleans dried sealant well in my experience

makoti
04-29-2023, 09:50 AM
:confused:

With tubeless, he kept riding & didn't notice.
With a tube, he would have stopped to change it.
It punctured, it did not flat.

Davist
04-29-2023, 09:56 AM
Exactly. Took the fenders off the winter/gravel bike and the insides were full of sealant had a few punctures but no flats...

weiwentg
04-29-2023, 10:01 AM

Yep, this is one of the great benefits of tubeless, especially on gravel tires where the sealant works reliably. I think almost everyone who rides gravel agrees that they'd use tubeless in that setting. However, that wasn't the question that was asked.

jamesdak
04-29-2023, 10:51 AM

LOL, that is one way to look at it.

I mean in major goathead country (CO) I ran sealant in my tubes so no real difference.

Lot's of folks run tubulars (I'm about 50/50) pretreated with sealant too.

I just find it a bit humorous in that tubeless are the only setup you have to run sealant in which you'd think would be looked upon as a weakness of the system. Instead it get's promoted as a benefit. Of course even I can see it both ways but I still find it funny.

:)

Andy340
04-29-2023, 10:54 AM
Removing sealant from bike is relitively easy compared to removing from clothing if the spray makes it up to shorts/ jersey - I still have sealant spray spots on jerseys that won’t wash out. Anybody had success with solvents for clothing (that don’t damage fabric)?

makoti
04-29-2023, 11:10 AM

I mean in major goathead country (CO) I ran sealant in my tubes so no real difference.

I just find it a bit humorous in that tubeless are the only setup you have to run sealant in which you'd think would be looked upon as a weakness of the system. Instead it get's promoted as a benefit. Of course even I can see it both ways but I still find it funny.

How else would you look at it? He didn't get to sit in the grass on a nice day and repair a flat? He didn't get to spend another 15min out on his ride? Looking at what keeps you rolling as a "weakness" is a very odd take.

XXtwindad
04-29-2023, 11:22 AM

Exactly.

buddybikes
04-29-2023, 11:27 AM
Exactly, just looked at my bike later in day to wipe it down and elastic sticky on the frame. Tire lost about 5 pounds air. Otherwise I knew nothing happened

jamesdak
04-29-2023, 11:47 AM
How else would you look at it? He didn't get to sit in the grass on a nice day and repair a flat? He didn't get to spend another 15min out on his ride? Looking at what keeps you rolling as a "weakness" is a very odd take.

I can always play devil's advocate. :banana:

If tubed you take maybe 5 minutes to swap in a tube (if your slow) and then rolling again. The upside is you get home and don't have sealant all over your bike to deal with. So....overall time saved? ;)

Or let's look at it another way. If tubeless systems worked like car tires and didn't need sealant would you still run it? Would the pro's and con's of sealant then be any different than they are for a tubular/tubed setup?

I mean I rarely flat, probably less than once a year despite all the miles I put in. So my take is probably a bit jaded...

jamesdak
04-29-2023, 11:49 AM
On a different slant about this.

When I accidentally got road stripe paint on my Paletti that I didn't notice until days later I freaked a bit.

I used Mequiar's spray on way to easily remove it when other methods didn't work. I also find this is great for removing dried bugs and tar from your car.

I wonder it it would work equally as well at removing any sealant from your bike? Just thought I'd mention it in case it helps.

Cycling Giraffe
04-29-2023, 01:31 PM
The Stan's I use has always come right off with water and my hand (or gently w/ a rag). Painted carbon and raw titanium frames. Zero issue.

I have a long, soft-ish brush from Park Tools that gets into the crannies around the front derailleur, chainstay/BB area, and seat stay/rim caliper areas.

I’ve had the same experience with Orange Seal. Just water and a rag seems to get it off hard surfaces on the bike without any issues.

93KgBike
04-29-2023, 02:06 PM
I use the TJ Liquid Dish Soap and just my automotive sponges and shammees. Works great on Stan's, Orange seal, Mavic's OEM sealant and MucOff Stealth Tubeless Sealant for both the bike and the floor/bench.

A lifetime ago I can remember a commute that I flatted 2/3 times a week for different reasons for 2 years. Tubes and patches changed my budget, lol, I had a three hole minimum before retirement.

At 1/3 the psi in the same diameters, my tubeless road wheels would have sailed through like a dream, and faster.

Now that's all I ride. I was thinking about it this AM and remembering going clipless back 1994ish...:cool:

makoti
04-29-2023, 02:47 PM
Exactly, just looked at my bike later in day to wipe it down and elastic sticky on the frame. Tire lost about 5 pounds air. Otherwise I knew nothing happened

Happened to me two days ago. Now the stuff is dry, and 90% comes off just wiping it with my fingers. For the finer spots, a dry rag doing the same works. I find it helps to let it dry completely, then clean it.