PDA

View Full Version : Late summer DK order concept

mdeeds71
06-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Folks,

I am getting ready to dive into a DK late summer and would like to see the forums ideas as to what I want to do with it...David will be the final authority. Just wanting to see what this says about the possibilities.

First of all I am coming off of a CDA that is a stock 58 that is well around 19.5 lbs and that I race (Cat 4), and a Hors that is custom "55" ie. just the seat tube the TT is 58 that I have not raced just good solid rides on but would consider racing in the right road race (hills with great decents).

The bike I am looking for I want to climb more rigidly than those above but offer a ride that is firm enough for race but also forgiving. I need a semi compact since I have a shorter inseam in proportion to my upper torso. I am debating about the terreplane side of the frame. Then it is the fork...steel or carbon (only if it works with the geo). I am favoring Fillet braze vs lugs. The final issue...and the most interesting...I travel (work weekly) and want the S&S couplers. So I am looking for a compromise that will give great climbing, HS stability, ability to travel, and a ride that I can go 3-5 hours on in Europe or here, may be road race (not a crit for sure) and not be to beaten up to fly home. As for color, well I am going to want the couplers to blend in so i will let JB select the color that does that best but not just a plain silver. Maybe a two color that somewhat is like the Serotta Race scheme. The one thing is I know everyone will say don't worry about weight that your engine will get up to cover for it...but I do want a lighter bike than the CDA. This bike will be able to go to Italy, Swiss, and Germany monthly thus the HILLS issue. I was interested in Pego as well as a Nove/Ottrott, thus I am trying to combine those attributes into my "dream" bike.

So bring on the ideas....looking forward to the concepts out there, and yes the final decision is up to the builder.

jbl
06-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Does Kirk have any pictures of a sloping top-tube bike with the Terraplane option? In my head, I'm don't think it would look all that hot.

Smiley
06-03-2007, 11:31 AM
The S&S couplers are great for travel yet will add weight when you travel. If your going with a Kirk and your going fillet for my cash I'd do the S&S along with a Reynolds UL fork and keep the weight down on the bike. And despite what all the kool aid drinkers around here would say I'd opt for custom light weight wheels and stick with a regualr rear traingle over the terraplane cause my guess is your not heavy enough to make a steel stay flex.

Any word on your Hors repair yet ?

Andreas
06-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Does Kirk have any pictures of a sloping top-tube bike with the Terraplane option? In my head, I'm don't think it would look all that hot.

Here (http://www.kirkframeworks.com/BenKirk_400.jpg)
Looks fine, I think.

Samster
06-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Does Kirk have any pictures of a sloping top-tube bike with the Terraplane option?
from the website.

Andreas
06-03-2007, 11:36 AM
stick with a regualr rear traingle over the terraplane cause my guess is your not heavy enough to make a steel stay flex.

Is there a certain weight under which Terraplane dampens significantly less?
Obviously, it will depend on the overall geometry, kind of tubing and so on.

Is the dampening a linear or exponential function of weight?
Does DK recommend tp option only above a certain weight?

Thanks,
Andreas

Andreas
06-03-2007, 11:40 AM
from the website.

From the pic you posted and the link above there is one requirement though:
It has be in orange.

mdeeds71
06-03-2007, 11:41 AM
The S&S couplers are great for travel yet will add weight when you travel. If your going with a Kirk and your going fillet for my cash I'd do the S&S along with a Reynolds UL fork and keep the weight down on the bike. And despite what all the kool aid drinkers around here would say I'd opt for custom light weight wheels and stick with a regualr rear traingle over the terraplane cause my guess is your not heavy enough to make a steel stay flex.

Thanks for asking Smiley.

(I wiegh 175 or so)

It was just shipped last Thursday so should be there already or this week. I have decided that I may, after getting down to you to fit sometime, have to sell it if it is cleared by Serotta. For some reason, I think it is to long in the TT and will get your opinion on it first.

Mark

93legendti
06-03-2007, 11:46 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=17595

Samster
06-03-2007, 11:46 AM
From the pic you posted and the link above there is one requirement though:
It has be in orange.
orange is the new black. it's the only relevant color.

Kirk007
06-03-2007, 12:34 PM
forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=27676&highlight=kirk

maybe lighten up with carbon fork, but differ to Dave's wisdom.

Greg

J.Greene
06-03-2007, 01:44 PM
forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=27676&highlight=kirk
but differ to Dave's wisdom.
Greg

The only way to go.

JG

Ginger
06-03-2007, 02:33 PM
I looked at S&S couplers recently...they're going to add weight. Quite a bit actually. Anyone have the numbers?
Not sure it's terribly fair to the bike to expect it to be lighter with those things on it.

My Terraplane is around a 51/52 seat tube and regardless of what the engineers like to believe about the terraplane, it keeps the wheel on the road just fine...and I'm no clydesdale. Dampening bumps is a nifty side benefit.

I'm curious:
"I was interested in Pego as well as a Nove/Ottrott, thus I am trying to combine those attributes into my "dream" bike."
Exactly what attributes do you mean by that?

mdeeds71
06-03-2007, 02:51 PM
I looked at S&S couplers recently...they're going to add weight. Quite a bit actually. Anyone have the numbers?
Not sure it's terribly fair to the bike to expect it to be lighter with those things on it.

My Terraplane is around a 51/52 seat tube and regardless of what the engineers like to believe about the terraplane, it keeps the wheel on the road just fine...and I'm no clydesdale. Dampening bumps is a nifty side benefit.

I'm curious:
"I was interested in Pego as well as a Nove/Ottrott, thus I am trying to combine those attributes into my "dream" bike."
Exactly what attributes do you mean by that?

Attributes after riding a few of them is the VERY snappy acceleration (especially uphill), laser like handling and great road dampening. Not to mention build quality. My current bikes give up the climbing for the handling and ride dampening.

As for fair to be said as to weight with couplings. As for weight of couplings...a 1.5 diameter is 6oz so two would be 12 so 3/4# - the tubing removed (not much about 1 1/4").

I have seen two not exactly identical steels one with couplings and one without. They were within .35# each other. The builder used some tubing differences as well as going slope vs level and weight savings in the fork (steel on the level vs carbon Reynolds on the sloper w/couplings). The buddy that ownes these said they feel and ride nearly identical except for the front end. So I am looking for a well rounded bike not a specific mission bike i.e. crit, century, etc.