PDA

View Full Version : Is Bike World Iowa legit?

B4_Ford
04-16-2023, 07:51 PM
Website doesn’t look overtly scammy to me. They have a hard to find part that I need for less than it’s selling for on eBay. Has anyone purchased from them?

https://www.bikeworldiowa.com

I have bad ideas…

thirdgenbird
04-16-2023, 07:53 PM
They are localish to me. I just passed one of their physical locations today.

I wouldn’t worry.

charliedid
04-16-2023, 08:05 PM
Totally legit.

B4_Ford
04-16-2023, 08:11 PM
They are localish to me. I just passed one of their physical locations today.

I wouldn’t worry.

Thank you.

I have bad ideas…

B4_Ford
04-18-2023, 08:23 PM
Following up oh this: Yes, they are legit. However they have a really shoddy online inventory system. I ordered a a part that they showed as “In Stock”. They processed my payment, but refunded me several days later because of an “Inventory Error”. Apparently their online inventory doesn’t match their point of sale inventory. I guess e-commerce is still hard for some companies.

I have bad ideas…

thirdgenbird
04-18-2023, 08:37 PM
I’m not sure if it is the case here, but I’ve learned many online bicycle retailers claim to have parts “ in stock” when their supplier claims to have it. I’ve had this very thing happen multiple times with discontinued parts.

I also experienced the same issue with flooring. Multiple retailers had it listed as “in stock,” took my money, and then refunded it several days later. I’m guessing all of them were representing the same inventory error at a supplier.

B4_Ford
04-18-2023, 11:08 PM
I’m not sure if it is the case here, but I’ve learned many online bicycle retailers claim to have parts “ in stock” when their supplier claims to have it. I’ve had this very thing happen multiple times with discontinued parts.

Yeah it’s a lazy way to run a website. I usually buy from Universal Cycles. Their inventory system is their own. What sucks about this one is that I missed out on the same part on eBay because I had placed the order with Bike World.

I have bad ideas…

thirdgenbird
04-18-2023, 11:25 PM
Universal is my go-to as well.

What are you looking for? Maybe we can help.

mstateglfr
04-19-2023, 09:23 AM
Following up oh this: Yes, they are legit. However they have a really shoddy online inventory system. I ordered a a part that they showed as “In Stock”. They processed my payment, but refunded me several days later because of an “Inventory Error”. Apparently their online inventory doesn’t match their point of sale inventory. I guess e-commerce is still hard for some companies.

Bike World is one of the 2 local shops I will frequent. It is easily the largest in my metro and probably state, since they have 3 established locations and just bought out a longstanding shop in the metro to make 4 locations.
The shop is welcoming, inclusive, not pressuring, etc and they sell everything from hardcore roadie to gravel to stepthru to hybrid to trikes.

They actually donate bikes, helmets, and some other things each year to a youth non-profit mentorship program I help run. It ends up being 20-30 bikes and gear each year and everything is new.
Basically, its a great shop run by people who are genuinely good(I know the owners well) and are dedicated to the community.

Their online ordering process is atrocious. And their special order in store process is even worse. They order 1x per week to save on shipping, so if I want a special order and ask for it on Wednesday morning, the order wont be placed until the next Tuesday afternoon. Then probably deliver that Friday, so a week and a half later.
Stuff gets to me from China or Europe in less time.
Its the one glaring frustration I have.

bikser
04-19-2023, 12:10 PM
Bike World has been around as long as I can remember. I would say shops that are not regular online shops seem to have non accurate inventories. I've placed orders a few times with legit shops over the last few months. Both didn't have the item they advertised and canceled the sale.

B4_Ford
04-19-2023, 10:06 PM
What are you looking for? Maybe we can help.

A pair of Yakima Q99 clips.

I have bad ideas…

jimoots
04-19-2023, 10:28 PM
e-commerce is still hard for some companies.

simple problem ≠ easy to solve

charliedid
04-20-2023, 07:48 AM
Bike World has been around as long as I can remember. I would say shops that are not regular online shops seem to have non accurate inventories. I've placed orders a few times with legit shops over the last few months. Both didn't have the item they advertised and canceled the sale.

Many of them order the product after you order it which is super annoying in this day.

oldpotatoe
04-20-2023, 08:17 AM
Many of them order the product after you order it which is super annoying in this day.

Pretty common with a LOT of MO/web based places. Not just on bike stuff. A MO/internet place wants to exist but can't afford inventory so they rely on suppliers, many of which work the same way with manufacturers.

GregL
04-20-2023, 08:23 AM
Universal is my go-to as well.+2. Universal not only has accurate inventory, their e-mail alerts letting you know an item is in stock are very timely. During the worst part of the 2020-2021 bike parts shortage, I was looking for some R7000 components to finish up a bike build. I signed up for Universal's back-in-stock notifications. Late one evening, I received a back-in-stock notification and ordered the parts immediately. By the next morning, the parts were out of stock. My order arrived just a few days later. Color me satisfied.

Greg

Red Tornado
04-20-2023, 09:15 AM
+2. Universal not only has accurate inventory, their e-mail alerts letting you know an item is in stock are very timely. During the worst part of the 2020-2021 bike parts shortage, I was looking for some R7000 components to finish up a bike build. I signed up for Universal's back-in-stock notifications. Late one evening, I received a back-in-stock notification and ordered the parts immediately. By the next morning, the parts were out of stock. My order arrived just a few days later. Color me satisfied.

Greg

+3 Universal is very good to do business with.