PDA

View Full Version : Shimano freehub washer placement order

Veloo
04-15-2023, 04:11 PM
The 10 speed freehub overhaul has begun.
Thanks to Mark McM for making it possible.

Turns out the top cone has a couple of thin washers under it which I realized after degreasing it so I've lost track of the order.
One is thin and a bit rigid and the other is flexible and wafer thin.

I'm not finding assembly diagrams online.

Would anyone know the order of assembly?
Would it be install
wafer, then semi rigid, then cone

or semi rigid, wafer, then cone?

spoonrobot
04-15-2023, 04:47 PM
I got to rebuild multiple freehub bodies last summer, all were 11s. These had three washers/timing shims but the order was thus: thick, semi-rigid, wafer, cone.

Assume it would be the same for 10s just in the abscence of the thick washer: semi-rigid, wafer, cone.

Hey while we're here, how many pawls did yours have? Every one I've ever seen has only had two, despite being machined for three.

https://i.imgur.com/s6L5dYp.jpg

Veloo
04-15-2023, 04:56 PM
There is a thick, fully rigid washer as well which is in my 2nd pic with the bearings.
I was actually thinking it was thick, wafer, semi rigid, cone so that you wouldn't have the fragile wafer being twisted by the cone but perhaps grease prevents that.

Yes, only two pawls for some reason. At first glance it seems like there should be 3 but that 3rd space is shaped differently than the pawl spaces.

Mark McM
04-16-2023, 07:08 PM
I'm not sure the order is going to make a difference. The purpose of these spacers/shims is to set the pre-load on the freehub bearings, as there is no other way to adjust the pre-load. At the time of assembly at the factory, different combinations of spacers/shims will be used as necessary to account for part-to-part manufacturing variations. However, it is probably best practice to put one of the thicker spacer/shims on the bottom of the stack, as they may contact the pawls.