PDA

View Full Version : A comparison of hobbies

Turkle
04-12-2023, 01:49 PM
Presented without comment.

Hobby 1: Bicycling

Time spent practicing this hobby alone (solo rides, Zwift workouts, wrenching on bikes): ~4 hours / week

Time spent on this hobby in groups (group rides with club or friends, organized events): ~3 hours / week

Time spent reading about this hobby online: ~10 hours / week

Total time spent on this hobby: ~17 hours / week

Money I make with this hobby: -$400 / week

Hobby 2: Musician

Time spent practicing this hobby alone (practicing my instrument, writing/arranging music, researching recordings): ~10 hours / week

Time spent on this hobby in groups (rehearsals, gigs, jam sessions): ~3 hours / week

Time spent reading about this hobby online: ~2 hours / week

Total time spent on this hobby: ~15 hours / week

Money I make with this hobby: $300 / week

Spdntrxi
04-12-2023, 02:42 PM
make $100 more a week being a musician to offset cycling and call yourself lucky.

madsciencenow
04-12-2023, 02:46 PM
make $100 more a week being a musician to offset cycling and call yourself lucky.

+1 on the above.

This said, I'm curious on how you spend so much on cycling/week?

I ride 10-14 hours a week and I don't think it's costing me $400. I also play guitar to entertain myself as much as you do per week and don't earn a dime (and this is fair as I'm not good enough for anyone to pay to hear me).

Turkle
04-12-2023, 02:48 PM
I dunno, I feel like literally every day some package arrives at the house with some sort of cycling thing in it. Clothing, a chain, new tires, inner tubes, or God help me a whole new bicycle. I spend an incredible amount of money on this hobby!

My music playing has always largely paid for itself, which is nice. Cycling.............. not so much!

Anyway, this is all idle thinking, I'm not trying to prove some sort of ironclad point or anything.

Spdntrxi
04-12-2023, 03:05 PM
dont take up golf and strive to be a scratch or better at it.
then there is always track days and the sports car

deluz
04-12-2023, 03:07 PM
1. Bicycling. I have spent a lot on this probably at least $25K. Don’t regret any of it money well spent.

2. Guitar. I have been learning flamenco guitar the past 5 years. I have a $3000 guitar which all I will ever need. I took lessons for awhile and hope to start that again.

3. Woodworking. Spent a lot on tools and need to start being more productive. I have made two nightstands and a lot of kitchen drawers.

4. Cooking. Just something I have always done, there is always more to learn. Got an Ooni pizza oven last year and barely used it but plan to use it weekly.

jlwdm
04-12-2023, 03:20 PM
dont take up golf and strive to be a scratch or better at it.
then there is always track days and the sports car

Yes. I belong to a golf club and two private car tracks!!! So just about $1000 per week if I never used them. I don’t want to know what my track costs are. I talked to a friend and his tire cost is over $600 per day. Mine is not that high.

Jeff

RWL2222
04-12-2023, 03:30 PM
Presented without comment.

Hobby 1: Bicycling

Time spent reading about this hobby online: ~10 hours / week

Ha! PL needs a timer for time spent online by day and counter for number of times hit the New Posts button
(I try not to get more than two pages of unread threads.)

Clean39T
04-12-2023, 04:12 PM
Cycling is life, not a hobby.

Turkle
04-12-2023, 04:19 PM
Cycling is life, not a hobby.

That's how I talk about music!

And when I say hobby, I'm not trying to denigrate either of these things, I love them both so much. I just mean obsessive, hard-working activity that isn't my day job.

Wakatel_Luum
04-12-2023, 05:47 PM
I define my main hobby of cycling more as “satisfaction”.

My secondary hobby of surfing I define as being “fun”.

Coffee Rider
04-12-2023, 06:11 PM
Yes. I belong to a golf club and two private car tracks!!! So just about $1000 per week if I never used them. I don’t want to know what my track costs are. I talked to a friend and his tire cost is over $600 per day. Mine is not that high.

Jeff

I've had people tell me that you need to budget about $1000 a day at the track, which has been helpful in keeping me away from trying it.

Spdntrxi
04-12-2023, 06:12 PM
I've had people tell me that you need to budget about $1000 a day at the track, which has been helpful in keeping me away from trying it.

that's if nothing goes wrong... like blown turbos... dont ask.

if I ever did it again it would be with old Miata's

mstateglfr
04-12-2023, 10:08 PM
$400/week for cycling? That's nearly $21000 per year.
Cool if you really are spending that much, but are you really spending that much?

Clean39T
04-12-2023, 11:06 PM
That's how I talk about music!

And when I say hobby, I'm not trying to denigrate either of these things, I love them both so much. I just mean obsessive, hard-working activity that isn't my day job.

I was just being obtuse - and maybe a bit cheeky..

All I do is obsess about bikes, read an occasional book, and listen to music.

It's boring.. but it leaves plenty of room for going all-in on the bikes part.

AngryScientist
04-12-2023, 11:12 PM
I place a high value on good health and fitness. Cycling is one component of my life that I enjoy and helps keep me fit. It’s time and money well spent in pursuit of a healthy life IMO.

jm714
04-12-2023, 11:25 PM
Ive been waiting for winter to end in socal. Once it does I plan to get back to my other hobby….fishing. Last spring I bought a boat to support my habit.

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Philster
04-13-2023, 07:17 AM
A cardinal rule of boat ownership is that you should never do these calculations. I think it applies to most hobbies. No good can come from it.

CyclingOnTheMind
04-13-2023, 07:35 AM
I also tend to consider cycling more of a lifestyle, which leaves me wondering what I'm missing if I were to let it go and pursue something else. Backpacking, maybe?

However, I do really admire people who have built a healthy exercise routine around an otherwise-busy lifestyle (work, kids, etc.). That's legitimately impressive to me.

On the topic of building a habit repertoire, I do find myself obsessing over other "hobbies" for weeks to months, then having that pattern "figured out" to the point that I can implement it day-to-day, whenever I please.
For example, making good quality coffee or espresso definitely takes some effort up front but once you've learned it and acquired the skills/tools you can always make yourself a nice cup.

C40_guy
04-13-2023, 07:47 AM

Jeff

If you add it up, you can't afford it.

So...don't add it up. :)

...and...

$600 per day? Must be a rear engined American car. :)

"Momentum" cars are much easier on tires, and potentially faster in the twisties. Just sayin'

OtayBW
04-13-2023, 07:54 AM
1) Bicycling
2) Complaining
3) Pedal steel guitar, fiddle, banjo, uke
3) Collecting, honing, and shaving with vintage straight razors.

Not necessarily in that order....:rolleyes:

glepore
04-13-2023, 08:00 AM
that's if nothing goes wrong... like blown turbos... dont ask.

if I ever did it again it would be with old Miata's

yeah, spec miata looks like the highest fun/dollar thing out there

NHAero
04-13-2023, 08:21 AM
I don't have any other hobbies that even come close to the cost of cycling. I hike and kayak. I haven't spent $500 on those two hobbies in the past five years. Bikes are really where I have spent my discretionary income. I went back and looked and I spent about $28,000 net in the past five years. Ouch! The only other categories of expenditures that compare are autos (I bought two cars in the past two years), food (biggest category for us), health insurance (because I had to COBRA my wife when i left my job), and charitable donations.

In that sum is:

- buying and building up my Firefly
- buying and building up my Bingham
- buying and building up my Habanero (and the Post Carry case)
- buying, modifying, and then selling the Casati for less $ than I had into it
- rebuilding drivetrain and brakes on the Bob Jackson, Litespeed, Raleigh 20
- building up an 11s spares hoard for my Pivot MTB and the three 11s mech bikes
- swapping to Growtac brakes on two bikes
- adding modern luggage capacity - tailpack, bar bags, etc.
- trying and cycling through saddles
- consumables - tires, chains, bar tape, brake pads, cables and housing
- adding better/new tools to work on the bikes
- adding some electronics - Wahoo Elemnt, Fly 6, Garmin RTL500
- lots of clothing - riding more means more changes of everything, and better gear as well
- event fees, subscriptions, donations

I don't have good records of mileage until late 2019 when the Elemnt was acquired. But over that time I have about 25,000 miles. So it cost me over 1$/mile to enjoy riding. Also, dividing by the number of rides, about $25 per ride.

I took a beating with the Strong frame that didn't work out - that's the only $ that has regrets attached to it. It cost me about $4,000 to go from that frame to the Bingham (which is perfect).

Looking forward - my stable is stable, no N+1 on the horizon. All of the bikes are in excellent condition with nothing needed. If I can stick to consumables, and replacing clothing as it wears out I think the cost per mile will drop to $0.20 - $0.25.

All in all, it all feels like money well spent for my favorite activity, which living in a fairly mild climate I can do year round. I have 94 rides logged in 2023 so far (very occasionally 2 on one day) so I am out riding most days.

madsciencenow
04-13-2023, 08:50 AM
$400/week for cycling? That's nearly $21000 per year.
Cool if you really are spending that much, but are you really spending that much?

The OP doesn't seem to want to answer this question as I asked a similar question and no response.

BRad704
04-13-2023, 08:55 AM
This one isn't for me directly, but in terms of high-cost/low-return hobbies... My extended family has been into dirt track racing since the 1970's. My side has been mostly mechanics and my Uncles and now 1 cousin are on the driving side. They're now running 360 and 410 Sprints with occasional World of Outlaw events.

Amazing to me that people go race $80,000 cars with $500 right rear tires and $1000 top wings the way they do. A couple of bad weekends in a row (that might not even be your own faults) and you're looking at $30,000+ just in 'upkeep' for your 'hobby'. All for the chance at winning $1500 in the feature.

Actually that sounds a lot like the modern Crit racing scene...

jlwdm
04-13-2023, 08:59 AM
If you add it up, you can't afford it.

So...don't add it up. :)

...and...

$600 per day? Must be a rear engined American car. :)

"Momentum" cars are much easier on tires, and potentially faster in the twisties. Just sayin'

Porsche with slicks. And it is faster than momentum cars in the twisties.

Jeff

Turkle
04-13-2023, 01:45 PM
The OP doesn't seem to want to answer this question as I asked a similar question and no response.

Oh, I'm not trying to be evasive, this post is not a request for accounting help. I just noticed that last week I had spent $400 on cycling (seatpost, clothing, cassette) and had made $300 playing music.

I don't actually know how much I spend on cycling each year but it is a lot! I just paid $250 for a bike fit today and I think it was well worth it!

In general, with cycling, I'm shocked that I managed to find a hobby that is so much more expensive than music (which I used to think was extravagant). Not a complaint, just an observation.

GParkes
04-13-2023, 02:43 PM
I stopped playing hockey about 8 years ago for various reasons (body beaten up, etc). I played year round yet the expense was far less than cycling has ever been. However, with only one hobby / lifestyle now, I'll deal with the cost of pedaling my multiple bikes, as well as my wife's stable.

tomato coupe
04-13-2023, 02:54 PM
Oh, I'm not trying to be evasive, this post is not a request for accounting help. I just noticed that last week I had spent $400 on cycling (seatpost, clothing, cassette) and had made $300 playing music.
That begs the question - what point are you trying to make? I'm guessing the vast majority of people on this forum have spent more than $400 on cycling in one week at some point.

BRad704
04-13-2023, 02:57 PM
That begs the question - what point are you trying to make? I'm guessing the vast majority of people on this forum have spent more than $400 on cycling in one week at some point.

We have plenty of fruitless conversations in GD, and this one led to some interesting info IMO. Why so hostile toward the OP?

fourflys
04-13-2023, 03:07 PM
so here's how I look at it and some, maybe most, won't agree, but this is all just sitting around the fire talk anyway..

I could save every last discretionary penny I make, put it into savings or invest it, and probably have quite a large chunk of cash right now.. but you know what I probably wouldn't have? Fun, sanity, good conversation, etc..

I spend a fair bit on cycling (just bought a new bike yesterday), but I also have always been able to pay the bills, had enough food on the table, and even managed to save a nice bit for the future.. and I'm 100% good with this, it works for my family..

BTW- cycling can certainly be expensive, but have you looked at equestrian stuff (esp English riding)?!?! My youngest is into it and it costs a LOT, and we don't even own a horse!

as long as you are able to live as you desire, aren't a burden on friends or family, spend all you want on your hobbies I say! :banana::banana: (not that anyone is saying anything else..)

madsciencenow
04-13-2023, 03:12 PM

I don't actually know how much I spend on cycling each year but it is a lot! I just paid $250 for a bike fit today and I think it was well worth it!

In general, with cycling, I'm shocked that I managed to find a hobby that is so much more expensive than music (which I used to think was extravagant). Not a complaint, just an observation.

Got it and thanks! I misinterpreted your original post to mean this was a typical week. I do agree that one can generally procure a guitar or two for the price of a bike or frame, depending on your taste in guitars.

tomato coupe
04-13-2023, 03:14 PM
We have plenty of fruitless conversations in GD, and this one led to some interesting info IMO. Why so hostile toward the OP?
There's no hostility. I simply asked him what point he was trying to make.

fourflys
04-13-2023, 03:30 PM

I'm guessing it was more of a random observation than a point..

spoonrobot
04-13-2023, 03:35 PM
This is [can be] a ridiculously expensive hobby, in general and specifically when racing.

The two years I didn't race ended up ~$0.22 a mile. All the other years with racing (MTB, gravel, road/track) has been ~$0.50 a mile. That averages out to $5-7 an hour depending on how much MTB time I got that year.

It's crazy, I try not to think about it too much.

Turkle
04-13-2023, 03:39 PM

Since apparently my post is mystifying to some readers at the Paceline, here are a few takeaways I thought were funny and/or interesting from the numbers I posted:

- I spend a lot more time reading about cycling than I do actually on the bike, which is a humorous way of saying that I spend more time dreaming about riding than I actually ride!

- Even though it's a side hustle, music has always brought in a few bucks here and there, which more or less covered the cost of buying fancy instruments, custom gear, and nice clothes to wear at gigs. Cycling... not so much!

- The thing about hobbies is that if you're going to do them well, you have to put in a LOT of solitary hard work. In music, this is all the time I spend practicing, learning new music, arranging tunes for my band, booking gigs, etc. In cycling, this is all the rides alone, all the grim training rides on the indoor bike, the rest of my fitness regimen off the bike, wrenching on the bikes. etc. But all that hard work pays off for the few hours each week I get to share my obsessions with like-minded people, be it playing music with others or group rides with the club or friends.

- My partner and I are DINKs... Dual Income No Kids. So we are lucky that we get to spend a lot of money on frivolous hobbies and have cash left over for a nice vacation or two each year. It's nice!

I hope that the above ideas make my post less confusing for some. I'm not an accountant, I don't actually know how much money I'm spending on my hobbies, but this is certainly what it feels like!

fourflys
04-13-2023, 03:44 PM
- The thing about hobbies is that if you're going to do them well, you have to put in a LOT of solitary hard work. In music, this is all the time I spend practicing, learning new music, arranging tunes for my band, booking gigs, etc. In cycling, this is all the rides alone, all the grim training rides on the indoor bike, the rest of my fitness regimen off the bike, wrenching on the bikes. etc. But all that hard work pays off for the few hours each week I get to share my obsessions with like-minded people, be it playing music with others or group rides with the club or friends.

I would say, depending on the person of course, some of this is the fun part of the hobby.. I really enjoy being out in the garage, music playing, working on the bikes, arranging the gear, etc.. but I can totally agree with the most time spent dreaming about (reading) riding, than riding.. probably why my fitness sucks.. :D

Turkle
04-13-2023, 03:50 PM
I would say, depending on the person of course, some of this is the fun part of the hobby.. I really enjoy being out in the garage, music playing, working on the bikes, arraigning the gear, etc..

Oh, absolutely! The joy is putting in the work!

Seramount
04-13-2023, 04:15 PM
my hobbies have mostly required money to participate, the only exception was during the summer when I lived on Orcas Is. WA.

made a few bucks as a contract scuba diver, scrubbing hulls, setting mooring buoys, and finding stuff people accidentally dropped in the water at the marina.

as for cycling, not a bike collector, so doubt I spend more than $250/yr on misc expendable parts (tires, tubes, chain, cables/housing, lube, bar tape).

last year was a bit more expensive...new helmet, cassette, 2 pairs of shorts, chain breaker, LED front light.

IJWS
04-13-2023, 04:32 PM
Bikes, Records, and Cars.

Bikes trick you into doing exercise because it's so fun that you don't notice. Any dollar spent = another 5 minutes on your life-expectancy. Bonus: you get zen/focus time on the bike like nothing else. Negative: they get better every year so you are constantly afraid that someone else is having more fun than you.

Records, you can listen to music when the sun is set so that's a bonus. The media is expensive and bourbon/whiskey is a hidden cost. BUT stereo's don't have electronic shifting or disc brakes and they don't actually get "better" each year. A $30 record is going to be around forever. $30 worth of Gu is gone in 90 days.

Cars....cars are probably a mistake. Wildly expensive compared to bikes, and they don't burn many calories. They can last a long time but they are a little expensive to maintain. Worst of all: they are usually best experienced during peak bike-times so you have to decide one over the other. That said, they are a different kind of exhilarating, and even though my wife also rides, we rarely take the nice bikes out to dinner. I guess there is a place for everything :banana:

berserk87
04-13-2023, 04:39 PM
Lotta great hobbies listed.

We have a separate sorta ongoing thread for one enormous cost black hole:

wristwatches.

That's a doozy. Depending on your tastes, it can get very expensive quickly.

I've had a few others as an adult: obviously cycling, harmonicas, guitars, sunglasses, pocket knives (mostly Spyderco), and back into watches again.

I'm not sure of the point of all of these things but it keeps me occupied and content if I don't let the OCD get out of control.

NHAero
04-13-2023, 04:40 PM
Snip
I really enjoy arraigning the gear, etc..

Do you indict the gear first? :)

fourflys
04-13-2023, 04:49 PM
Do you indict the gear first? :)

look it's been a long day and, apparently, even Google can't guess what I meant to say... :D

but if the hex key fits..

Old School
04-13-2023, 06:24 PM
As soon as I am done adding up what my hobbies cost me, I am going to ask my wife to provide (in detail) all of her exploits with her first boyfriend.

Or maybe I won't do either.

ripvanrando
04-13-2023, 06:29 PM
32 hours per week for cycling and guitar playing means you have no kids or no job or both.

High end wine, private golf clubs, and big game hunting make bicycling look cheap as do airplanes, boats, horses, and whores

Someone mentioned the cost to get to scratch level golf, I don't think money has anything to do with it. I spent $2k/yr at a county course and played off a plus 2. Sort of like cycling, you can train 20 or 30 hours per week, buy all the newest marginal gain crap, and you ain't never going to get to Cat 1 let alone Pro.

oldpotatoe
04-14-2023, 06:52 AM
Not in any order
-Bike wheels..building a lot
-nannying my grand daughters..not really a 'hobby' but most small 'f; fun
-Asst softball coach for the above..first year they are both playing..not sure what I'm gonna do..
-The leisure time activity that can't be mentioned that I do with my 2 sons mostly up in the mountains..THAT can get expensive but it really is great fun. No politics, just fun.....

sg8357
04-14-2023, 07:22 AM
[snip]
-The leisure time activity that can't be mentioned that I do with my 2 sons mostly up in the mountains..THAT can get expensive but it really is great fun. No politics, just fun.....

Mounted boar hunting with spears ?
The dragger truck, the horse trailer, horse boarding, polo club membership
it adds up quick don't it ? :)

or it could be Track of the Wolf, sort of Grant Petersen with a firelock.

lavi
04-14-2023, 10:02 AM
In general, with cycling, I'm shocked that I managed to find a hobby that is so much more expensive than music (which I used to think was extravagant).

Good thread. I'll play.

I want a Paoletti Stratospheric. Talk me out of it.

Bikes are my main hobby. I spend so much time physically, and mentally (reading online (this place)) riding and thinking about bikes. I wish I had the time to flip the riding/reading ratio. Alas, marriage and kids keep the riding to maybe 10 hrs/week.

Guitars: YES!!! We need an OT on these. I've been playing guitar since I graduated 8th grade. I'm good enough to never solo in public. :banana: However, I really enjoy just noodling at home. From above, I have zero time to be in a band anymore. I wish I had a jam session every week with an occasional gig. Those days are gone for now. HOWEVER, to the OP's point, I'm amazed at how cheap bicycles make guitars seem! I had not bought a new guitar in over a decade...so I sorta forgot how "cheap" guitars are. I'm not talking all the super high end, custom stuff. Or crazy expensive acoustic stuff. I'm mainly referring to standard electric guitars. $1k can get a person all they really want or need.

So let's talk guitars in another thread???

I also just picked up a Positive Grid Spark. What a fun, cool amp. I had no idea the tech had evolved to this. My 100 watt Fender amp doesn't get used. I cannot turn it above 1.5 without pissing off my wife. For $300, the PS is all the amp I need for playing at home. That seems downright inexpensive!

I had a few nice guitars I sold during the pandemic to fund bike stuff because I wasn't really playing then. I hadn't cracked a guitar case in over a year. :/ I sold off a Gibson ES339 and Ernie Ball Stingray.

I used to golf. Still do I guess. I just haven't played a round in over 2 years. I save that for goofing off with friends if the occasion ever arises.

I used to race motorcycles (track, not dirt). Now THAT was expensive.

deluz
04-14-2023, 11:05 AM
Good thread. I'll play.

I want a Paoletti Stratospheric. Talk me out of it.

Bikes are my main hobby. I spend so much time physically, and mentally (reading online (this place)) riding and thinking about bikes. I wish I had the time to flip the riding/reading ratio. Alas, marriage and kids keep the riding to maybe 10 hrs/week.

Guitars: YES!!! We need an OT on these. I've been playing guitar since I graduated 8th grade. I'm good enough to never solo in public. :banana: However, I really enjoy just noodling at home. From above, I have zero time to be in a band anymore. I wish I had a jam session every week with an occasional gig. Those days are gone for now. HOWEVER, to the OP's point, I'm amazed at how cheap bicycles make guitars seem! I had not bought a new guitar in over a decade...so I sorta forgot how "cheap" guitars are. I'm not talking all the super high end, custom stuff. Or crazy expensive acoustic stuff. I'm mainly referring to standard electric guitars. $1k can get a person all they really want or need.

So let's talk guitars in another thread???

I also just picked up a Positive Grid Spark. What a fun, cool amp. I had no idea the tech had evolved to this. My 100 watt Fender amp doesn't get used. I cannot turn it above 1.5 without pissing off my wife. For $300, the PS is all the amp I need for playing at home. That seems downright inexpensive!

I had a few nice guitars I sold during the pandemic to fund bike stuff because I wasn't really playing then. I hadn't cracked a guitar case in over a year. :/ I sold off a Gibson ES339 and Ernie Ball Stingray.

I used to golf. Still do I guess. I just haven't played a round in over 2 years. I save that for goofing off with friends if the occasion ever arises.

I am up for the guitar discussion, but I play Flamenco so quite different from you. But I would like to have a Godin or Telecaster to play other styles like jazz.

fourflys
04-14-2023, 11:21 AM

just riding motorcycles, in general, can get expensive.. I can only imagine racing them! :eek:

I know when I had my BMW, I laid out quite a bit in the proper riding gear and could have spent a lot more.. when I advanced (made Chief) and moved to San Diego back in 2006, I had the idea to get a new BMW 1200 GS (they were still pretty new on the block).. the wife was fine with me riding the back roads of coastal Oregon (previous unit), but was NOT comfortable with the thought of me riding on the highways of San Diego, commuting to work.. so I sold the motor bike and got a road bike.. one could argue similar dangers (no cage around you, etc), but at least I could say the road bike was for exercise! ;)

Anyway, my point to this ramble was there is a TON of gear you can get into for just regular motorcycle riding, I can't even fathom racing.. :)

1Dollar93
04-17-2023, 11:07 AM

I'd never heard this stat. I met an old man with a ratty 500hp 930 - he picked up a handful of gravel and threw it at the hood of his car. Said 'if you can't do this to your car, don't put it on the track.'

benb
04-17-2023, 09:21 PM
I play guitar since around 2015. Equipment wise I don’t really see it as that expensive even though I have pretty nice stuff. But I’ve taken a lot of lessons since around 2017. Lessons add up to a lot of money. I had previously had some piano stints. In my 20s I felt like I couldn’t really afford the lessons and stopped.

Biking has always been attractive to me because once you have your bike no one bills you to use it. Some sports you buy equipment and then have to pay every time you want to use it.

I have a substantial amount of camera gear but have spent almost nothing on that in the past ten years. It got so good I stopped caring about anything new.