PDA

View Full Version : Simoni's Shifters

jhcakilmer
06-01-2007, 09:37 PM
What's the deal, does Simoni like the feel of metal over carbon.....why is he using the Rival Shifters, over Force... I've seen this on atleast four stages.

Anyone have with insight?

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z311/jhcakilmer/simoni2.jpg

Dave B
06-01-2007, 09:42 PM
His bike is pretty small. My guess it is to add weight.

He was supposed to be testing the new Sram "red" but it maybe just some sort of disguise.

ciclisto
06-01-2007, 10:04 PM
common fellas, it's because he wants them to function after a crash, and or he likes them.

pdxmech13
06-01-2007, 10:34 PM
they are the proto type red shifters........its just easier to make and remake aluminum bits and peices than carbon ones that need molds and stuff.

swoop
06-01-2007, 10:35 PM
magnesium levers . sram red. coming soon.

pdxmech13
06-01-2007, 10:40 PM
sooooooooo magnesium is the new titanium ?
or
is steel the old carbon

David Kirk
06-01-2007, 11:35 PM
sooooooooo magnesium is the new titanium ?
or
is steel the old carbon

Magnesium has always been the new titanium.

Dave

Fivethumbs
06-02-2007, 02:06 AM
Anyone ever remember the (rumour?) that if you peed on someones Mag wheels (made out of genuine magnesium) that the wheels would dissolve? If this is true then those Sunier Duval guys are going to have to be awfully careful when they're answering nature's call during a race.

kerrycycle
06-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Magnesium has been the "hot metal" for the last few years. Fassa Bortolo's Pinarello Dogma frames were made of a mag alloy. A couple of wheel manuracturers are also putting out some very light mag hoops too.

Rumor has it that SRAM is incorporating magnesium all over the groupset. When released, it is supposed to be the lightest groupo available. They have done some guerilla marketing and look to be prepping the market for release around the Tour de France.

pdxmech13
06-02-2007, 12:02 PM
They have done some guerilla marketing and look to be prepping the market for release around the Tour de France.

pretty balsy if you ask me atmo

Smiley
06-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Some people in the KNOW told me that the new 2008 SRAM stuff will also have a shorter throw, the stuff I am using now seems pretty good to my feel.

gdw
06-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Looks like Sram is taking advantage of the expertise they acquired when they purchased Avid. Avid has been making/marketing magnesium mtb brake components on and off since at least 2000.

Erik.Lazdins
06-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Anyone ever remember the (rumour?) that if you peed on someones Mag wheels (made out of genuine magnesium) that the wheels would dissolve? If this is true then those Sunier Duval guys are going to have to be awfully careful when they're answering nature's call during a race.

\Magnesium needs to be sealed otherwise it corrodes. What happens to a brifter if it touches the road - Will it corrode?

Avispa
06-02-2007, 08:13 PM
\Magnesium needs to be sealed otherwise it corrodes. What happens to a brifter if it touches the road - Will it corrode?

That has been the fate of many Mag stems I've seen.... I had some Stella Azzurra mag stems that have now been discontinued. Stella said that it became a problem to warrany those suckers as many people returned them corroded and wanted a different stem as warranty.

I wonder, is carbon more resistant than mag in case of a fall? I have gone down a couple of times since I have been on Campy Ergos. I must say, I'm impressed... these hardly even scratch!

A. :)

musgravecycles
06-02-2007, 09:20 PM
I scratched up my Record levers in a fall. I just pulled the lever and resprayed it myself. Good as new...

Jason, there's been quite a buz on the Sram Red over at WW

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30484&highlight=sram+red

Of more interest to me is the new wheels he's on...