PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Trek Madone

Bill Bove
06-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Here's Treks newly designed Madone. Full carbon fork,including steerer column. Intergrated headset and bottom bracket. The BB bearings will drop fit into the BB shell for lighter weight. Bearings will be available for all common external bottom brackets, ceramics to follow soon. The top of the seat post mast fits over the bottom half, no cutting of the mast will be needed. Supposed to cut 25% of total frame weight from last years model. Should be inshops in a week or two.

1centaur
06-01-2007, 05:31 PM
As a carbon fan, all I can say is...repulsive. Specialized must be laughing. And by the way, bad paint...yet again.

Smiley
06-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Sorry trekkie fans , I did not like the first Madone and this one does not have me wanting to run to my IBS with a check. Integrated headset ain't working for me on this or any other bike.

Elefantino
06-01-2007, 05:39 PM
When did Giant start making Treks?

I must have missed a memo.

Trek is so five minutes ago anyway.

stevep
06-01-2007, 05:44 PM
it sure took them a long time to come up with something different.
im sure its light and im sure its ok...
but its not electric.

bill,
how is it constructed?
like the oclv?
lugs, etc?
or is it a mold like specialized?
is it made by trek?
said above...it sure looks like one of the foreign made things.

Marcusaurelius
06-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Ugly and even less desireable with an integrated headset and compact frame design. I once had a Trek 5200 and it was an alright bike but I've never been a big fan of carbon frames.

mcteague
06-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Now that Lance is no longer racing I guess it is safe for Trek to make what he has called "a girl's bike", referring to the sloped TT design.

Tim McTeague

Jason E
06-01-2007, 05:55 PM
http://www2.trekbikes.com/madone/images/madone_line_up/madone69pro.jpg

http://trekroad.typepad.com/trekroad/madone_watch/index.html

http://www2.trekbikes.com/madone/

wooly
06-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Looks like they addressed the really short headtubes. It almost looks like they over compensated for it...

Erik.Lazdins
06-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Lance was always against a sloped tube or so I read.

This bike looks like the Specialized that Boonen allegedly now likes. In my opinion this is a bad move as it takes the one point Trek had in marketing - the lightest level tt bike.

Now its light and uuuuuuggggglllly - my opinion!

WickedWheels
06-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that a 2008 model will be available in Mid-June!!! Why bother calling it a 2008 if it's 6 months early?!

Yet another symptom of an unhealthy industry.

Oh, and as for the bike itself... now it looks like everything else out there and still has a brand name most people don't want on a high-end bike. Interesting concept with the BB, however. I hope it works for them.

darylb
06-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Oh, and as for the bike itself... now it looks like everything else out there and still has a brand name most people don't want on a high-end bike. Interesting concept with the BB, however. I hope it works for them.

Which one is it, most people dont want them or everyone has them? I am confused. Seems to me they make a great high end bike and lots of people buy them.

I dont get all the ugly comments either. Like WW says, it looks like most of the fancy pants carbon bikes out there. Personally, I am anxious to see one down at FatCat Bicycles.

Big Dan
06-01-2007, 07:07 PM
I think I'll pass on that one....

:eek:

Jason E
06-01-2007, 07:16 PM
If you read all the little bits on the website, it is pretty neat what they've done, enev if you do not like the aesthetics.

dancinkozmo
06-01-2007, 07:19 PM
so long as trek, giant etc. keep turning out these fugly things people like kirk , mariposa , goodrich, della santa will have a nice niche for themselves...

Bart001
06-01-2007, 07:42 PM
so long as trek, giant etc. keep turning out these fugly things people like kirk , mariposa , goodrich, della santa will have a nice niche for themselves...

Two totally different market segments -- hand-made steel featuring 'old-world craftsmanship' vs. 'the latest and greatest high technology embodied in a frame'??

NB: I'm not advocating that Trek is the latest and greatest; merely that that's how they tend to position themselves.

Grant McLean
06-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Not bad looking for a Trek.

Looks waaaaay better than the OCLV's with the stoopit wings on the seat tube.
The front end really does look 'Giant-ish' but I guess there are only so many
ways to shape it with swoopy-ness.

The 1/2 integrated seat mast is an interesting compromise. Personally, it's
kinda 'all or nothing' in my opinion. The coolest part of the fully integrated
design is that it's, um, integrated. This appears to be done for fashion,
without the committment to the design benefits of reducing the post.

ps. what's with everyone stretching their font? enouph already...

g

jhcakilmer
06-01-2007, 09:06 PM
It's so funny, I read over all of the modern technology that Trek has integrated into this frame, and basically the only thing that doesn't seem (IMO) just like marketing hype is the weight reduction, which is just obviously due, primarily to the sloping design.

My question is, if they're going to put all this money and research into these frames why not atleast copy the Italians in aesthetics. Sure I don't like all there bikes, but Colnago, De Rosa, and Pinarello sure make some real pretty bikes. It just seems like the main stream US manufacturers are making fugly cookie cutter frames......when I first saw it, I just thought Specialized....ugh.

Serotta_James
06-01-2007, 09:11 PM
I dig it.
Trek obviously took a long, hard look in the mirror and at their competition.

jhcakilmer
06-01-2007, 09:41 PM
I dig it.
Trek obviously took a long, hard look in the mirror and at their competition.

Do you dig it, just because it makes your bikes look that much better.... ;)

Just seems odd that a company that IMO has been so conservative in the past, comes up with this design.......the "lines" are so choppy, and atonal......very disturbing to the eyes...

Serotta_James
06-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Do you dig it, just because it makes your bikes look that much better.... ;)

Just seems odd that a company that IMO has been so conservative in the past, comes up with this design.......the "lines" are so choppy, and atonal......very disturbing to the eyes...

Haha! That might just be the case.
Seriously, I think Trek's been producing such blah high end road bikes for a while that they had no choice but to push the envelope in introducing a new product. It seems they didn't have any qualms in capitalizing on the most popular aspects of current bike design and putting their own spin on them: ISP, integrated BB and HS, etc.

I'll be eager to ride one at some point.

davep
06-01-2007, 10:29 PM
If this bike had a name such as Parlee, Calfee or any other boutique brand that makes 3 or 4 digit bikes a year, everyone would be swooning about the innovative features, advanced styling and such.

I do agree that the paint job is fugly.

rwsaunders
06-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Watch the comments here guys, or we'll end up with that annoying Specialized response again.

pdxmech13
06-01-2007, 10:39 PM
I'll take mine in the form of a meivici :D

bigman
06-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Boy you guys are harsh - agree with DaveP . Calfee's are not the most beautiful either but are loved - rigs should be judged firstly by the ride.

Gotta agree though not beautiful.

BumbleBeeDave
06-01-2007, 10:47 PM
If this bike had a name such as Parlee, Calfee or any other boutique brand that makes 3 or 4 digit bikes a year, everyone would be swooning about the innovative features, advanced styling and such.

I do agree that the paint job is fugly.

Dave P. has it . . . not ONE of you guys has ridden this bike or even seen it in the flesh! Reminds me of the reverse of that new bike Pegoretti introduced at Interbike. If THAT bike with THAT Sponge-Bob paint job had "Trek" written on the downtube it would have been plain all-star fugly, but because it has Dario's name on it, it's wonderful!

All you guys criticizing the Trek without riding it or even SEEING it are just Emperors with no clothes. If you've seen it or ridden it, then you can comment. Otherwise, it's just all hot air and you're making yourselves look silly.

BBD

pdxmech13
06-01-2007, 10:51 PM
i stick with my post above atmo

dave thompson
06-01-2007, 11:19 PM
I'd buy a good camera instead!

acckids
06-01-2007, 11:41 PM
I love the Serotta forum but some of you guys make me want to give you a wedgie. Give me a break. Trek makes great bikes in all price ranges and they back up their stuff. Trek makes a great bike for us less sophisticated mid westerners. For us tech geeks, this bike meets a lot of our "needs." Whether we need it or not doesn't matter. I can't wait til it shows up at my bike shop. If we slapped a Cervelo or Colnago sticker on this bike, some of you would be willing to pay another $5000 for it. And yes, I shop at WalMart.

pdxmech13
06-02-2007, 01:45 AM
And yes, I shop at WalMart.[/QUOTE]

why would you cheapen trek's image with this.

Fivethumbs
06-02-2007, 02:01 AM
Maybe Walmart can take over Team Disco next year.

classic1
06-02-2007, 02:58 AM
If the bikes pictured are supposed to be race bikes, how come they aren't set up as race bikes? Setting the seat up level with the bars - come on Trek, you'll have to do better than that.

1centaur
06-02-2007, 06:09 AM
If it was a Crumpton or a Parlee I would still call it ugly because it looks like the Specialized which at least 50% of the folks out there think is ugly (as do I).

I am mystified by the comments that we can't judge until we see it in person, or that how it rides has something to do with the aesthetics. Pros have won on the curvy Specialized and it's still ugly. Some rec riders love the Specialized and it's still ugly. I have never met Eva Longoria or Jessica Alba but I know they are attractive from their pictures. We all make judgments from pictures all the time.

To me, that's a real engineer's bike, the way a lot of GM cars are engineer's cars. People with pocket protectors and aviators that change tint in bright light don't have a history of making beautiful vehicles. Sloped TTs, squat back ends (both designed to hit the "light" demo), and paint that features a bunch of black (super yawn) carbon offers me nothing interesting aesthetically whether I see it in person or not. When I first saw the squat curved Specialized I knew I would never test ride it because it would not matter if it was the best riding thing on the planet I just could not bear to look at it or enjoy contemplating my upcoming ride on it. Same thing for this one.

dbrk
06-02-2007, 06:18 AM
If the bikes pictured are supposed to be race bikes, how come they aren't set up as race bikes? Setting the seat up level with the bars - come on Trek, you'll have to do better than that.

What I see is a bike that would only be fun to ride if it's dry, daylight, and roads are smooth pavement...maybe...I doubt it...and as for the position, well, that's hard to tell but I'd be sure to sacrifice comfort too if I had given up all the rest before hand. Sure, this is their idea of a "race bike" meant to be sold to people who likely don't race but want all the limitations such a bike would afford.

just my 2cents, since I don't know nuthin' about bikes,

dbrk

BumbleBeeDave
06-02-2007, 06:37 AM
. . . since I would venture to guess that most cyclists in their target demographic LIKE to ride on dry, smooth roads in daylight.

My ire was directed at those who seem to dismiss it as soon as they know it's a Trek.

BBD

Elefantino
06-02-2007, 06:44 AM
All you guys criticizing the Trek without riding it or even SEEING it are just Emperors with no clothes. If you've seen it or ridden it, then you can comment. Otherwise, it's just all hot air and you're making yourselves look silly.

BBD

As card-carrying members of The Fourth Estate, I believe it is our right — nay, sir, our duty! — to question the powerful. Even without a frame of reference.

I have not fought in war, but I question this one's execution. I am not yet of retirement age, but I question our handling of Social Security. I am not a professional baseball player, but I question Barry Bonds' pursuit of the home run record. I have not dallied with an intern, but I question whether men should.

We are the opinion shapers. We are the liberal media. In the words of Kenneth Starr, "being right is just gravy."

michael white
06-02-2007, 07:02 AM
the bb design sounds really interesting. I bet we'll see a lot of that.

I'm with Dave. Folks seem to be all about trashing anything from the big brands, and it seems, well, tedious to me. This bike isn't my style, but not much is from the last couple of decades--but that's me, not the bikes.

to answer Douglas: one thing I like about Trek is that they're the only brand I know of which actually has been putting eyelets on many of its inexpensive performance-oriented frames for a while now..

dancinkozmo
06-02-2007, 07:06 AM
As card-carrying members of The Fourth Estate, I believe it is our right — nay, sir, our duty! — to question the powerful. Even without a frame of reference.

I have not fought in war, but I question this one's execution. I am not yet of retirement age, but I question our handling of Social Security. I am not a professional baseball player, but I question Barry Bonds' pursuit of the home run record. I have not dallied with an intern, but I question whether men should.

We are the opinion shapers. We are the liberal media. In the words of Kenneth Starr, "being right is just gravy."

awesome post dude !!!!!!

Smiley
06-02-2007, 08:06 AM
+2 for Brother El , my hero of the day :banana:

We have interns here in the Nations Capitol ...hello Monica

Larry
06-02-2007, 08:24 AM
If I bought a Trek carbon, I would have to trade it in every other year
for another......out of boredom. The design and function are well-suited for those Discovery racers, but for us normal folks, there are too many great options for our bike fix.

......CDA looks and rides better every day. Magic from the Serotta builders.

toaster
06-02-2007, 08:25 AM
All Trek did was copy Specialized who stole Italian styling from DeRosa and Pinarello. Now that whole look is being bastardized further with cheap paint and decals, lines and logos.

Big Dan
06-02-2007, 08:32 AM
I would get me this.....

cpg
06-02-2007, 09:36 AM

Huh? Draw a horizontal line from the top of the saddle and the bars are below that horizontal line. Looks like a 5-7cm drop to me. Sort of within the normal range.

My complaint is the questionable rear brake routing. The top tube entry point is on the right side of the top tube. That works fine if you run the rear brake off the left lever but most people don't. Setting it up "normally" with the rear brake controlled by the right brake lever renders a crummy cable path which makes the brake perform poorly. Definitely a rookie mistake.

Curt

cinelli
06-02-2007, 04:52 PM
As long as they are under $599. for frame, fork, headset and seatpost I'm in! :rolleyes:

Ahneida Ride
06-02-2007, 04:56 PM

Amen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lifelover
06-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Huh? .....My complaint is the questionable rear brake routing. The top tube entry point is on the right side of the top tube. That works fine if you run the rear brake off the left lever but most people don't. Setting it up "normally" with the rear brake controlled by the right brake lever renders a crummy cable path which makes the brake perform poorly. Definitely a rookie mistake.

Curt

Finally after 43 post a complaint that might be legit. :banana: Although I suspect they considered this before going to production.

I have no clue how significant any of these changes are but it is some fairly bold moves away from the norm. For anyone that didn't bother to go through the presentation here are some of the key changes.

Integrated BB.
While it appears to save weight (no cups) they claim the the big improvement is an increased BB width allowing for wider down tube and seat tube.

1 1/2" bearing race at the bottom of the headset.
They claim reduced weight, stronger and more tire clearance :beer:

Adjustable height seat mast.
Somehow this is supposed to help with vertical compliance

Integrated speed sensor in the fork.
If you buy the right kind of computer the sensor/transmitter fits in a pocket on the inside of the fork thus being invisible.

Three fit options
Pro fit has the same effective geometry as the current Madone
Performance fit has the same geo except 30mm taller head tube :banana:
WSD fit is same as Performance except shorter top tube

If nothing else they do a pretty good job with marketing. It's pretty safe to say that it will outsell any other frame in it's price range.

Len J
06-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Finally after 43 post a complaint that might be legit. :banana: .

I think the complaints about the aesthetics are legit...that is one ugly bike....YMMV

Your summary is pretty good...I think the most significant change is the performance model with the longer HT.....I was on an organized century today and I wish I had a buck for every spacer I saw on the ubiquitous Treks.

It will be interesting to see if the average rider can restrain himself from buying the race model.

Len

Climb01742
06-02-2007, 07:26 PM
i wonder about the semi-ISP. seems like they wanted to be trendy but didn't want to have the supposed downside of re-sell on ISPs that had been cut.

what benefit could a semi-ISP give you?

on some of the other points...two things could be true...its ugly...yet it may ride better than it looks...time will tell.

William
06-02-2007, 07:36 PM
I don't have to worry about it. They don't sell them in my size.

William

PS: if they did...I would have to take a pass on that one.

1centaur
06-02-2007, 07:44 PM
its ugly...yet it may ride better than it looks...time will tell.

If it doesn't ride better than it looks, we might have a candidate for all time worst bike. I'd lay good odds it rides just fine since function is clearly its overwhelmingly primary goal.

stevep
06-02-2007, 08:03 PM
i wonder about the semi-ISP. seems like they wanted to be trendy but didn't want to have the supposed downside of re-sell on ISPs that had been cut.

what benefit could a semi-ISP give you?

on some of the other points...two things could be true...its ugly...yet it may ride better than it looks...time will tell.

i bet itll ride fine and be a fine race bike.
im sure that they have been working on this for 5 years.
i like the concept of 3 models to aim at different customers.
the isp is an excellent concept in many ways and it functions well.
but sizing and test rides are a real issue for retailers.
i would say the semi isp is a concession to the reality of a bike shop where a customer wants to try something like this. it must allow more than the small adjustment that a real isp will allow.

musgravecycles
06-02-2007, 08:10 PM
That thing makes me want to go out the shop, pick up the torch, and braze the night away...

My complaint is the questionable rear brake routing...Setting it up "normally" with the rear brake controlled by the right brake lever renders a crummy cable path which makes the brake perform poorly. Definitely a rookie mistake.

Careful Curt, I got lambasted for making the sameish comment here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=339794&postcount=40

Oh, and I see Trek figured out how to do a reverse seatpost. Instead of going in the frame it goes over the frame :rolleyes: ...

Samster
06-02-2007, 10:39 PM
That thing makes me want to go out the shop, pick up the torch, and braze the night away...
makes me want to pick up the torch and braze some of that carbon fiber...

dave thompson
06-02-2007, 10:50 PM
makes me want to pick up the torch and braze some of that carbon fiber...
Nah, then you'd just wind up with a De Rosa Tango copy! :D

Lifelover
06-02-2007, 11:12 PM
.......I was on an organized century today and I wish I had a buck for every spacer I saw on the ubiquitous Treks......
Len

True Dat!

I will never post a pic but I made an crazy long spacer out of PVC pipe (painted silver) for my Airborne and while I think it looks ridiculous many of the Treks I see on rides are very close to mine.

shinomaster
06-02-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm not sure this is the best place to sell Trek bicycles.... ;)

Climb01742
06-03-2007, 05:10 AM
but sizing and test rides are a real issue for retailers.

bingo! test rides...that's what a semi-ISP gives trek and its retailers. you smart, pucci! :D

yo, pucci, where's that darn french seat collar anywho??? it's only june, the french can't be on vacation yet, can they?? ;)

stevep
06-03-2007, 07:10 AM
bingo! test rides...that's what a semi-ISP gives trek and its retailers. you smart, pucci! :D

yo, pucci, where's that darn french seat collar anywho??? it's only june, the french can't be on vacation yet, can they?? ;)

what seat collar do u need?
i might have one/ some.
the french vacations are limited to 2 periods. january- june and
july - christmas.
they are closed the week before new years day.

but the bikes are the nuts.

Samster
06-03-2007, 08:31 AM
ha! thanks for the chuckle.

zap
06-03-2007, 09:58 AM
This new Trek could turn out to be one of the best. Trek knows how to build frames better than most.

Ok, I'm still not sold on the sloping design for road racing bikes. The internal rear brake cable routing works. I have one routed that way and it's just fine. Ditto for integrated hs. The integrated bb bearings is slick as these external cups look like warts. It's been done before and more will follow. The seatpost, well.....time will tell.

I'm glad they kept the racing geo too. All too many frames these days have ht that are well, I guess suited for, you know, what we call these slopers... :rolleyes:

The paint scheme, well there is always this custom paint option.

Here's hoping the '09 model will have a level tt :beer:

palincss
06-03-2007, 12:15 PM
If nothing else they do a pretty good job with marketing. It's pretty safe to say that it will outsell any other frame in it's price range.

Do we know what that price range is? I might have missed it, but I didn't see anything about it on the web site.

palincss
06-03-2007, 12:18 PM

And if you want to talk about fugly that just about takes the cake, IMO...

Lifelover
06-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Do we know what that price range is? I might have missed it, but I didn't see anything about it on the web site.

No clue really. I just assume it will be a few hundred up in each of the ranges.

My comment was really meant to refer to the top end 6.9 line up. Current price for a DA blah, blah, blah spec bike is $8000+ so I suspect the new bike will be pushing 9K.

I plan on getting one right after i get a meivici

Avispa
06-03-2007, 03:32 PM

Yeap... Thanks 'tino. Now...

If this bike had a name such as Parlee, Calfee or any other boutique brand that makes 3 or 4 digit bikes a year, everyone would be swooning about the innovative features, advanced styling and such.....

Dave,

The thing is that I would say the same bad things about those other suckers... AND I have ridden a few of them. As a matter of fact, I even dislike Pegorettis (oh no!, please don't flame me :eek: )

In my book, Serotta must be in a class of its own as I see them somewhat as "boutique", but I also love their bikes for one thousand reasons. ;)

I surely like the way Serotta has remained true to itself: No gimicky stuff, no integrated HS, still makes custom bikes and level TT's if asked!

Cheers! :D

davep
06-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Dave,

The thing is that I would say the same bad things about those other suckers... AND I have ridden a few of them. As a matter of fact, I even dislike Pegorettis (oh no!, please don't flame me :eek: )

In my book, Serotta must be in a class of its own as I see them somewhat as "boutique", but I also love their bikes for one thousand reasons. ;)

I surely like the way Serotta has remained true to itself: No gimicky stuff, no integrated HS, still makes custom bikes and level TT's if asked!

Cheers! :D

If this was just about asthetics I would agree 100%. And if you have the same opinion after riding one, I'll consider that a valid opinion. (Although I don't know how much we can trust the opinion of someone who doesn't like Pegs! :) ) But in looking at this new bike on Trek's web site they seem to be doing some innovative stuff. And this seems to be disregarded just because the name on the downtube is Trek.

Agree about Serotta. They have managed to keep the boutique vibe while building a lot of bikes, and a lot of great bikes.

Smiley
06-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Bill McCready of Santana is laughing really hard now that somebody else caught on to his 1.5 inch steerer tube fork idea.

PBWrench
06-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Throw some Campy on that puppy and I'd be happy to give her a go and see what the designers had in mind. IMHO Trek puts a lot of thought into their products and usually strike a postive commercial chord. Doesn't score well on my aesthetics matrix but neither does 50% of what others quite legitimately love. To each his/her own. Some innovations take time to get used to.

Simon Q
06-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Lance was always against a sloped tube or so I read.

This bike looks like the Specialized that Boonen allegedly now likes. In my opinion this is a bad move as it takes the one point Trek had in marketing - the lightest level tt bike.

Now its light and uuuuuuggggglllly - my opinion!

Lance is now for sloping TT's -see the video of him being interviewed on the site.

steve575
06-04-2007, 09:56 AM
I'd like to ride one. It might not be my choice if I could only have one bike, but it could add some nice variety to my very traditional looking Nove and fender equiped CSI. If I add another bike, it will need to be something different from my daily ride. The 08 Madone might be it.

Too Tall
06-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Hey Smiley, have fun figuring setback ;)

I agree with Zap, Trek had a long history of building carbon bikes that are not awful. They held up very well and had decent geos.

This is about as awful as the rest which is to say not gawdawful...just awful enough.

csm
06-04-2007, 08:29 PM
that derosa is just plain hideous. yuk.

rounder
06-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Throw some Campy on that puppy and I'd be happy to give her a go and see what the designers had in mind. IMHO Trek puts a lot of thought into their products and usually strike a postive commercial chord. Doesn't score well on my aesthetics matrix but neither does 50% of what others quite legitimately love. To each his/her own. Some innovations take time to get used to.

Maybe they would have had better luck if they put it out in red with a white steering wheel and wire wheels w/contis.

Climb01742
06-05-2007, 04:49 AM
i wonder if trek has a bit if the same challenge that GM has with the corvette. the last 5 years or so, every review i've seen of 'vettes say it's a great car. yet it is carrying all the baggage of the name "corvette". if GM called it something else, i'd guess it would have wider appeal. for me, trek has some of the same issue. it's probably shallow of me, but if trek even put a lemond logo on the madone, i'd be more open to considering it. or if it were possible to take all the trek logos off. trek's mass market success has, ironically, hurt it with the higher end of the market, i think.

i was talking to a bike shop pal yesterday about pinarello dogmas. part of the lure of a dogma is how few you ever see. part of the "problem" with treks is how many you see. tough nut to crack.

stevep
06-05-2007, 05:39 AM
i was talking to a bike shop pal yesterday about pinarello dogmas. part of the lure of a dogma is how few you ever see. part of the "problem" with treks is how many you see. tough nut to crack.

the marketing problem.
every one likely has had a trek somewhere along the line.
every enthusiast at some point wants something w/ a little more exclusivity.
tough problem to solve.
the company is quite capable of making a great race bike but enthusiasts oftem want something cooler.

climb- how to solve?
i dont think they can.
but i know they will sell a ton of these things anyway.

Lifelover
06-05-2007, 06:10 AM
i wonder if trek has a bit if the same challenge that GM has with the corvette. the last 5 years or so, every review i've seen of 'vettes say it's a great car. yet it is carrying all the baggage of the name "corvette". if GM called it something else, i'd guess it would have wider appeal. for me, trek has some of the same issue. it's probably shallow of me, but if trek even put a lemond logo on the madone, i'd be more open to considering it. or if it were possible to take all the trek logos off. trek's mass market success has, ironically, hurt it with the higher end of the market, i think.

While this maybe a "problem" for folks like us here on the forum we are by far the minority in the cycling community.

Read what you wrote again. I'll paraphrase:
" The problem for Trek is that they sell too many bikes"

Selling bikes is what they want

Selling allot of bikes helps name recognition and having name recognition sells bikes.

Relatively speaking nobody knows the "Kirk" brand of bikes and everyone knows the Trek brand. That doesn't make Trek better but it does make them sell better at all levels of the market.

The same can be said for the name Corvette. You can be assured that the name creates more sales than it prevents.

Climb01742
06-05-2007, 08:10 AM
half of all bmw's sold are 3-series. but the m3 and m5 create the halo. i'd be curious how many madones they'll sell vs. more mid-priced treks? i'd guess the madone is a halo product. and its true, we on this forum aren't their primary target...though we probably are for the madone...

bottomline, its not a bad problem to have...but cache sells a lot of high end bikes...a madone may well be a fine fine bike but cache will be hard to attach to it.

somehow colnago has increased their sales yet still maintained some cache. it's a tough balance, sales and cache.

Jason E
06-05-2007, 08:41 AM
Hello, My name is Jason, and I'm a Bikeaholic.

[hello Jason]

It's been 3 months since my last aquisition, but more importantly, I need to comment.

I think the current iteration of the Madone, the SL frames, 5 or 6 series, are hot. Level Top Tube, aggressive shaped Headcluster and seatstays.

S..E..X..Y..

There I said it.

michael white
06-05-2007, 09:25 AM
While this maybe a "problem" for folks like us here on the forum we are by far the minority in the cycling community.

Read what you wrote again. I'll paraphrase:
" The problem for Trek is that they sell too many bikes"

Selling bikes is what they want

Selling allot of bikes helps name recognition and having name recognition sells bikes.

Relatively speaking nobody knows the "Kirk" brand of bikes and everyone knows the Trek brand. That doesn't make Trek better but it does make them sell better at all levels of the market.

The same can be said for the name Corvette. You can be assured that the name creates more sales than it prevents.

I would add to this, for those that have issues with Trek's aesthetics, that it only makes sense that if your selling point is performance, and you want to develop new technology that you can filter down through a large mass-market line . . . well, it makes sense for the bikes to look a certain way. If your ambitions are to stay small and emphasize hand-built tradition, on the other hand, well, that's a whole nother deal, and a different look.

tch
06-05-2007, 09:33 AM
...that'd be "cachet".

Climb01742
06-05-2007, 09:43 AM
...that'd be "cachet".

thanks. spelling izn't my strength. ;)

Bill Bove
06-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Cache is correct.

I like the new Madone, I'm going to sell a lot of them.

MAP
06-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Velonews has just posted a Tech Report about this bike.

Climb01742
06-05-2007, 11:20 AM

bill, i hope you do sell a lot. any guess as to the profile of the buyer? FWIW, senor jerk thinks he'll sell a bunch too. he's very positive on the bike.

TAW
06-05-2007, 11:42 AM

The average person who's just starting to ride is more likely to buy a Trek (from the Trek Store, not the Pinarello Store :) ) because they recognize the name and they assume that all Treks are good bikes. And this is probably where the bike shop makes its money. People like us are less likely to buy a frame from a bike shop, and are less likely to buy a Trek. It's not that they don't make good bikes, it's just that 90% of people who ride in charity type events have either a Giant, Specialized or Trek.

Too Tall
06-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Cache is correct.

Pogo moment ;) You go boy.

Dave B
06-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Look at it this way. If most people, as some have said, buy a Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc as their first bike, that is a great thing. It gets them into the sport and excites them about what all of us love to do. Ride.

Say the average fella picks up a trek, rides it and really likes to tinker.

Then he becomes infatuated with bike culture and works his way up to a custom bike. That is where Serotta and others come in and either embrace the cyclist or reaffirm him that stock works wonderfully for him.

Either way one more person buying a bike and entering our world the better, who cares what he rides. Well, I suppose he cares, but the huge companies that people like to blast have done loads for our cycling community. Even if you don't like the way they look.

Or I could be wrong and they are satan in carbon underwear!

Big Dan
06-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Most people riding Treks are the worst wheel suckers around......
Why? I don't know..

Flame away....

:p

TimB
06-05-2007, 12:17 PM
I was amazed a few years back when I last (?) rode RAGBRAI. When the company we'd contracted with to haul our gear was unloading the bikes (approx 250 in the trucks for our company), I'd say at least 75% were Treks, and of those at least 75% were OCLV - 5200 and 5500 mostly. This was High Lance Time, of course, and there was no doubt who was paying attention.

Me, I was on an old steel Trek 330 that'd been set up as a fixie.

Guilty as charged.

Too Tall
06-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Men will arrive at your door very soon, pls. cooperate you will not be harmed.

TimB
06-05-2007, 01:53 PM
TT, I believe that blue Trek spent some time as a guest at your house as well...

Bart001
06-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Look at it this way. If most people, as some have said, buy a Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc as their first bike, that is a great thing. It gets them into the sport and excites them about what all of us love to do. Ride.

Then he becomes infatuated with bike culture and works his way up to a custom bike. That is where Serotta and others come in and either embrace the cyclist or reaffirm him that stock works wonderfully for him.

Either way one more person buying a bike and entering our world the better, who cares what he rides. Well, I suppose he cares, but the huge companies that people like to blast have done loads for our cycling community. Even if you don't like the way they look.

:beer: My first road bike was a $700 or so Raleigh-oversize-down tube-Ultegra-equipped-tooth-rattler, but it got me hooked on the sport/recreation.

My second road bike is a Legend Ti. I'll give myself a :beer: for making that choice!

My 3rd bike is going to be a full-suspension mountain bike. I'm close to pulling the trigger.

CNY rider
06-05-2007, 02:20 PM

True, true El Presidente.

Fourteen years on an aluminum Trek, through school, residency etc etc. Man I loved that bike. Still have very fond memories and get put off by all the Trek bashing that gets thrown around here.
Now I'm riding Serotta/Parlee et al and loving it even more.
It's all good.

davids
06-05-2007, 02:35 PM
My 3rd bike is going to be a full-suspension mountain bike.
Are you getting a Trek? ;)

http://www2.trekbikes.com/images/bikes_my07/large/fuelex8_satinonyx.jpg

As far as the new Madone... The seat cluster looks a bit bendy from the full-side perspective, and I'm no fan of integrated headsets. But I admire Trek for taking technology seriously, and trying to make a cutting-edge production bike. It's easy to rag on the big guys, but this one looks more serious than gimmicky to me...

Bart001
06-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Are you getting a Trek? ;)

Actually it's between a Specialized ( eeek not a big bike company product!) Stumpjumper and a Santa Cruz Blur LT.

But I rode a Trek ;) They are just a bit behind the times in their rear geometry. I think they're waiting for the Horst linkage patent to run out.

gt6267a
06-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Actually it's between a Specialized ( eeek not a big bike company product!) Stumpjumper and a Santa Cruz Blur LT.

But I rode a Trek ;) They are just a bit behind the times in their rear geometry. I think they're waiting for the Horst linkage patent to run out.

if you are open to the specialized products, have you tried an epic? it's a little racier than the stumpjumper and a lot of fun. i test rode one about 3 weeks ago and was very impressed.

davids
06-05-2007, 03:12 PM

For what it's worth, those two will be at the top of my list, if I can ever stop buying road bikes long enough to save for a new mountain bike.

...and I was being silly anyway. I own a Trek-era Klein mountain bike for going on 6 years now. It's been more than acceptable!

Jason E
06-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Bart,

I was at the BURN 24 hour race 2 weekends ago and Santa Cruz was the New TREK. Out of the two teams we had, 7 of us were on SC's of various makes. I was on my XC, but I come from the road and a decade on hardtails. Another guy was on his LT, then another LT, there were two Juliana's, and onld Blur and a superlight.

I think any of your choices will be good, but SC really does have something good going on now.

Enjoy.

Jason

Bill Bove
06-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Just took a deposit on a Trek Madone 5.5 performance fit :banana: . deliverary expected at the end of the month. I also orderd a 6.9 Pro and a 5.1 Performance for the floor :confused: I guess I'll have a more informed opinion about them then.

I also sold an Orbea Orca and an Onix so far this week :beer: I get to eat meat this week :banana:

72gmc
06-05-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm glad Trek helps Bill stay in the bacon (filet mignon?). It's hard to argue with the overall value they've delivered in competitive, serviceable race bikes over the years. They've held on to little things like level top tubes, external headsets and a reportedly great warranty program longer than some.

The new Madone is ugly, but I don't think it's what the journeyman racer will buy anyway. Orthodontists need bikes too.

benb
06-05-2007, 04:34 PM
You can hate the sloping top tube, the integrated fancy bits, the carbon, whatever...

But this bike is unquestionably a huge improvement over the old Madone and previous Trek bikes. Counting both geometries it's available in 15 different sizes... how sweet is that for a Carbon bike these days?

Everything funky & "new" on it seems to have been better designed then the same types of items on previous bikes. (e.x. their seatmast design looks to be the best IMO, the BB uses standard parts, etc..) They seem to have minimized the negative portions of all these new design items.

It looks like they fixed the fit to the point where I might have bought one instead of getting a Serotta if I had waited another year. If these new Madones fit you I'm sure they're great rides.

Bill Bove
06-05-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm glad Trek helps Bill stay in the bacon (filet mignon?).

7-11 Big Bites :(

rnhood
06-05-2007, 05:08 PM
It strikes me as a well engineered bike also - much the same as their current wheel line-up. I am sure it will live up to its expectations. One thing about the previous carbon line, they were certainly stable bikes. You never hear of one shimmying or wobbling on a fast descent, because it just didn't happen with one of these.

However, like just about everyone here, I don't like compact geometry either - tho it could be argued that this is semi-compact. Nevertheless, compact or semi-compact, the slope look is a definite downgrade from the level look. Of course this is merely preference.

alembical
06-05-2007, 05:44 PM
http://www.velonews.com/images/report/12366.18845.f.jpg

I am not a fan of Trek, but imo this is the best they have done in a real long time. They have a new look and some innovations, but still get dogged by everyone here. Don't get me wrong, I would not buy one, but at least they are trying something new. The people who say that they should take a clue from Colnago, DeRosa, etc... was that a joke? IMO Pinarello, DeRosa and crowd have been making more asthetically unpleasing bikes lately. I am sure they still ride great though.

I applaud Trek for trying something different, new look, sloping tt, bb, headset, multiples sizes, fork, etc.... I am no where near buying one, but to each their own. I find it hard to argue with someone who chooses a durace Trek over a Serotta frame and fork.

Alembical

Edited to add: I would be real interested to see a study (if it was possible) of people's reactions to Trek, Specialized, Giant, Pinarello, Colnago, etc... if all the labels were removed. To me, they are all about the same. Some good designes (asthetically) and some good color options, and some not so good.

Smiley
06-05-2007, 06:00 PM
The 1.5 inch steerer tube will create difficulties with stem choices other then Trek/ Bontrager or maybe you can order a Santana stem. So far they are the only two using 1.5 inch steerer tubes. I would assume the head tube is a whopper of a size to make this work. Its all good but the seat post will also be limited with a minimal forward offset. How many STA options do these bikes offer ? Looks like TREK hit a weight target and now we see how it rides. Anybody here have the geometries ?

Bill Bove
06-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Geo's remain unchanged from last year. The "perfomance fit" is 1.5c lower in the headtube than last years Pilot.

Headtube is 1.5 on the bottom and 1.25 at the top. Any stem will work. There are several others on the market doing the same including C'Dales new Super Six that they released today.

There are three different offsets and two different length mast caps available to tune the fit.

Is it the best bike in the world? Maybe for somebody... what it is though is another tool in the box to help me, the retailer, help a customer find a reasonable fitting, well made, light bike at a reasonable price.

93legendti
06-05-2007, 07:04 PM
The 1.5 inch steerer tube will create difficulties with stem choices other then Trek/ Bontrager or maybe you can order a Santana stem. So far they are the only two using 1.5 inch steerer tubes. I would assume the head tube is a whopper of a size to make this work. Its all good but the seat post will also be limited with a minimal forward offset. How many STA options do these bikes offer ? Looks like TREK hit a weight target and now we see how it rides. Anybody here have the geometries ?

"...Finally, the fork is 1.5-inch diameter at the top of the fork crown and the standard 1.125-inch diameter where the stem clamps on..."

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/12366.0.html

Xyzzy
06-05-2007, 07:54 PM
I really really like how the old Madone, sans shark fin, looks. The new one does nothing for me. The enlarged bottom headset bearing is nice but until Campy makes a Hiddenset in that format, I'll wait.

I kinda wish I had enough $ to buy an old frame before it is too late.

3chordwonder
06-05-2007, 08:13 PM
I doubt Trek are forced to go with a Specialized look like they left the frame in the oven too long because they need to get up to date with the technology... the new Cannondale looks fantastic IMHO, a very elegant carbon frame, and it's unlikely to ride any less great than the new Madone even though it doesn't follow the Specialized funky Dali look. That swoopy/melted look is just the result of bike company marketing departments now being able to meddle with frame design as well as just the stickers and silly acronyms for 'technical features'. Welcome to frame design by focus groups - a group of people with too much time on their hands who'll turn up for free sandwiches.

pdxmech13
06-05-2007, 08:40 PM
I don't like compact geometry either - tho it could be argued that this is semi-compact

Just so we all can agree. A compact bike is one that is designed with few or limited sizes and is meant to be fitted in a sense with stem and post to a riders postitioning or contact points. This is much different than sloping a top tube upward to allow handlebars to be at certain heights. By no means should these bikes be considered compact frames. This is a sales marketing term that was tossed around like a bag of potatoes in the 90's by some company in the orient. Trek offers a somewhat "traditional" toptube to seatube length on the so formentioned rigs.

DfCas
06-05-2007, 08:55 PM
After several days,I'm coming out. I like the sloping graceful curves.I like carbon,I like threadless,and I like the looks of this evil empire bike.

The thought of proprietary parts scares me tho.

Flamesuit on.

Xyzzy
06-05-2007, 09:47 PM
I kinda wish I had enough $ to buy an old frame before it is too late.
A local rumor was that Trek had built a ton of old-style Madones and had warehouses full of them. Our local Trek guy was pushing them pretty hard, with some nice discounts, but nothing super serious.

I wonder if they are going to blow out the old ones? Does anybody in the industry have the inside scoop on this?

I also wonder if all the millions of Madones out there, should they be warrantied, would be replaced with the new Madone, or does Trek keep a large stock of old-style stuff?

When I warrantied my Six13 they gave me an 06 manufactured in March 07 (!) which I thought was kinda weird but kinda cool.

Lifelover
06-05-2007, 11:02 PM

....I also wonder if all the millions of Madones out there, should they be warrantied, would be replaced with the new Madone, or does Trek keep a large stock of old-style stuff?.....

A local rumor was that Trek had built a ton of old-style Madones and had warehouses full of them. ......

Lifelover
06-05-2007, 11:06 PM
The more I hear about them the more I'm impressed

That drop in bearing fit BB and head tube is here to stay. Assuming the rest of the manufactures can do it, this will be the standard very soon.

Too Tall
06-06-2007, 06:49 AM
TT, I believe that blue Trek spent some time as a guest at your house as well...

I try not to "label" or "judge" ;) It was a clear case of shelter from the storm.

Dave B
06-06-2007, 06:59 AM

I am selling my BLT if you are interested!

Black ano Large
Brand new XTR DC/Htdro Disc/Rear mech
960 front
XT crank
Xmax XL
The works

swalburn
06-06-2007, 07:29 AM
I waited to chime in on this, but you can put me in the camp that is impressed with the new bike. I was looking at the geometry tables for the new bike, and I really like it. I'm looking at the 58 in the performance fit and the head tube is 190 mm, similar to my Fierte although my Fierte has a traditional headset which makes it taller by approx 2 cm. But the Madone chainstays are 41.1, and the rest of the geometry mirrors the pro bike. This appers to be a bike that is racier than a Roubaix or Fierte, but is still set up for those who live in reality were they aren't as flexible as a pro bike racier. I basically get the racier geometry of the Madone with out all the spacers, and still being able to run a negative rise stem. I'm going to take a long look at these bikes. It appears they are making an effort to at least give lots of options in regard to fit.

Of course the alternative is that I could just lose some weight, and get myself in better shape, and I would have more fit options that way as well.

zap
06-06-2007, 10:02 AM

Take a look at the Trek site for info.

Also, I don't think Santana has ever used 1.5" steerer. They use 1.25" (1 1/4") steerer tubes.

zap
06-06-2007, 10:20 AM
http://trekroad.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/05/2008_trek_new_madone_geometry_2.gif

Smiley
06-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Take a look at the Trek site for info.

Also, I don't think Santana has ever used 1.5" steerer. They use 1.25" (1 1/4") steerer tubes.
yes your correct, They think bigger is better .

Bill Bove
06-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Didn't pre-Trek Fisher start the whole oversize headset thing with inch and a quarter headsets and Ritchey came out with inch and an eigth, both threaded? It took the introduction of the A-Head to make them popular.

Too Tall
06-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Didn't pre-Trek Fisher start the whole oversize headset thing with inch and a quarter headsets and Ritchey came out with inch and an eigth, both threaded? It took the introduction of the A-Head to make them popular.

BMX defines all babe :)

J.Greene
06-06-2007, 02:05 PM

Yes,

my Santana has a 1.25" Campagnolo mtb headset with a 90's tandem group. It's a cool group for sure.

JG

Lincoln
06-06-2007, 02:31 PM

I'm shopping the same stuff. The Blur LT made my short list but just got cut. I'm down to the Stump and the new Scott Spark.

rpm
06-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Re: the new Madone. Put some 650b's on the performance fit version of that thing and it would be cool:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=23909&highlight=Trek+Pilot

And if you got a real blowout price on last year's model, it would be worth doing, too.

csm
06-09-2007, 03:25 PM
I saw one of these today. it is nice. who wants to buy my legend?

pdxmech13
06-10-2007, 08:12 PM
i'll trade you the tool that fits the seatpost to allow you to put it in a repair stand for your current bike :D :D

Larry
06-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Yeah........I saw the new Madone today.
I will say this......It IS Light. It has an unsightly huge bottom bracket area.

And......I wanted to put a Specialized decal on the downtube.
Looks like a nice bike for the age 16 to 30 crowd.

csm
06-10-2007, 09:10 PM
I wonder how the reaction to this bike would be if it had Colnago or De Rosa or something on the downtube.

Jason E
06-11-2007, 07:02 AM
Agreed.

I saw a Performance Fit 5.2 today and I thought it was much sharper looking then a Roubaix, for those looking at the simple TT comparison. Deeper then that, it was, as all high End Carbon Treks are, very clean lined, and all of the liitle bits of tech were not too overpowering, seperatly or as the package.

I would look at a Pro-fit. I think anyone that sees this bike will at least like it more then they did on the online pictures. They did it no justice compared to seeing it live.

Larry
06-11-2007, 12:42 PM
I wonder how the reaction to this bike would be if it had Colnago or De Rosa or something on the downtube.

Hard to say. The point is this.... I looked at the Madone and the Specialized
side by side. They both give me the same impressions. Not real favorable.
But, then again, I am more Old School traditional.

I have seen so many at the shop -carbon, ti, aluminum, or composites- that it boggles the mind. I have ridden them, also.
A custom steel or ti still is the ticket for me.
Each to his own.

Jason E
06-11-2007, 02:16 PM
I like pics of bikes in Team Livery

http://velonews.com/images/int/12388.18899.f.jpg

mikki
06-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Interesting responses.

I think the most offensive thing here was the remark that someone buys at Wal Mart!!

I have been the owner of a 5900 Trek Carbon and think my bike is really pretty. Now that I am nearly the proud owner of a custom Holland that will have a sloped top tube to accomodate my female torso (like in this Trek), I am slowly gaining some appreciation for such an angled tube.

I like innovation in bikes if the performance is duly enhanced. Jury is out on this Trek since I've not ridden it. Don't care for the look, however I had mine custom painted so imagine they are still doing that. Personally I also think it looks so "Specialized" and isn't my cup of tea, but would be curious to give it a spin and wouldn't completely dismiss it until doing so.
:cool:

Zman
06-16-2007, 07:10 AM
Local dealers have one bicycle each, no technical support or pricing information. The “demo” looks like a rapid prototype, craftsmanship is marginal. No word on production availability.

jhcakilmer
06-16-2007, 07:22 AM
I've seen a couple pics of Hincapie on his new Madone, and I really think that big guys look so funny on compact frames. Just seems so unproportional.

Will Trek be able to give their pro riders custom geometries with the new Madones, or are they still restricted?

Lifelover
06-16-2007, 08:36 AM
I saw a 5.2 (Ultegra SL) Performance fit at a LBS here. The pricing did not come up in his computer but he thought it was in the $3200 range.

Overall the bike looked really good. I was a little disappointed that the white stripes appear to be stickers (under clearcoat) and not paint. Everything else on it looked very nice and and it did feel very light (if that matters).

The bike reminds me of the Orca but I must admit that I think the fit and finish on the Orca is a little better. I would assume that a Project One Madone would be more comparable in both price and finish.

I was most impressed with the tire clearance. I could not tell if there was room under the brake bridge but the side-side clearance looked more than adequate for a true 28. They did not have a pro fit in stock but thought the clearance would be the same.

If they have made a "race" that will accept fatties than I say "Kudos to Trek"!

1centaur
06-16-2007, 08:40 AM
My hatred (as expressed in post 2 of this thread) is related to the slope and the paint (with some interaction between the two). Take a look at the new review on Pez. In some pictures, the TT looks less sloped and IMO the bike looks almost good. On others, the slope looks extreme. And as for paint, the picture in post one of this thread may be the worst of their paint jobs, but in general Trek really does not get paint very well, I think. Stock paint jobs on OCLVs were almost always ugly and even the Project One selections seemed frustratingly limited - cow spots to flames without enough contrasting color section choices in between. The concept on some of the stock paint jobs for this new Madone is interesting - a color wrap-around that would be difficult for a guy with a spray gun to achieve - but the colors themselves, and the fact that the contrasting area is black, leave me cold again. Take the mostly white one and put bright red in the areas that are black and you might have a winner. I have always thought if I bought a Trek I'd have to have it stripped and painted and thus void the warranty. Never had a reason to do that.

I basically like the thinking behind the BB, head tube and seat mast. I am intrigued by the stiff in the BB but more vertically compliant schtick. At some point the metal guys are going to have to stop with the "it's not the material it's the design" rant - some things you just can't do with metal and be within shouting distance on weight (or at all, IMO).

The one thing I am leery of in this design is the size of the TT. On my Orca, the problem was a large BB offset by a skinny TT to keep weight down, resulting in frame flex and my worst riding frame. However, like the Cervelo R3's seat stays, it's possible to make the rest of the bike so stiff that the TT is not necessary to provide torsional stiffness (or it will be possible). When reviewers talk about comfort I am a little suspicious of where that's coming from, so I'll be interested to see what the big guy/sprinter types say about this frame 12 months on.

Climb01742
06-16-2007, 11:27 AM
At some point the metal guys are going to have to stop with the "it's not the material it's the design" rant

that, my friend, will be the day. ;)

the disco paint jobs don't, IMO, look half bad. over on the ww, in the thread about the new pina prince carbon, did you see the photo of the new paint for a nago extreme power? one of the cleanest nago paints in a long time.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31096&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

rwsaunders
06-16-2007, 12:05 PM
As I was looking at photos of Too Tall's PAC ride, I was surprised just how many "factory" bikes were in the group. These are the bikes of choice of some serious cyclists too.

At our regional MS150 last weekend, it looked like the TREK factory had just let out for a shift change. I don't know about you folks; I just ride my Serotta and smile.

1centaur
06-16-2007, 02:22 PM
you see the photo of the new paint for a nago extreme power? one of the cleanest nago paints in a long time.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31096&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Yes, I thought that was a better version of what Trek is trying to do and one of the better 'Nag jobs for a while. These have been a bad few years for Colnago paint. That new Pinarello Paris paint job shows a lot more creativity/flair than Trek has offered even at the Project One level. If I was Trek I would add an option to have their frames painted as the customer wishes by one of a few designated third party providers without voiding the warranty.

Kahuna
06-16-2007, 02:40 PM
I think this bike rocks and after owning, riding, and racing 3 Treks, I can see myself buying one at some point. I like the design, and I like the thought process that went into it.

Make no mistake, Treks are fully capable bikes. Their limitations rest solely upon the number of watts being applied to the pedals. If your goal is to make `em go fast and you can't, then you need to re-examine your program! :)

-K

zap
06-16-2007, 02:43 PM
that, my friend, will be the day. ;)

the disco paint jobs don't, IMO, look half bad. over on the ww, in the thread about the new pina prince carbon, did you see the photo of the new paint for a nago extreme power? one of the cleanest nago paints in a long time.

Yes, that nago is one cool bike.

stevep
06-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Their limitations rest solely upon the number of watts being applied to the pedals. -K

its not the bike?

Bill Bove
06-16-2007, 08:16 PM
its not the bike?

It's not you, it's the bike. I sell bikes, I know these things :banana:

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I'm still laughing my azs off :banana: :banana:

vaxn8r
06-16-2007, 10:37 PM
I think it's bold move for Trek and I can appreciate what they are doing but, no, they don't get paint/decals. I'd get a System Six in a heartbeat over the Madone ATMO.

Not that I'm looking...

pdonk
06-17-2007, 08:24 AM

Fisher came out with the 1.25 headset, for a rigid ti fork in the late 80's, then transferred it over to everything else in their line.

The "story" I've read about 1.125 is that there was a miscommunication between tioga (or another company) and the asian factory about making 1.25 headsets and they became 1.125's.

As for Ritchey's involvement, they stayed 1", threaded and anti suspension fork until near the end of them making "real" race frames (P22/Plexus and ST).

Ritchey took a lot of shots at the whole oversized build philosophy.

Sandy
07-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Back in 1998, I test rode a zillion bikes before I fell in love with Serottas. There were 4 bikes (Serotta all models) that I really liked:

Trek OCLV- 5200 and 5500.
Serotta- Bought the CSI
Merlin Extralight (unstable in descents)
Litespeed Ultimate (unstable in descents)

I was in a shop today to have some minor service done on my Ottrott. They recently got in their 2008 Trek Madone bikes- Pro Fit, Performance Fit, and WSD fit. The Performance Fit has a longer ht than the Pro Fit and more spacers. I actually thought the bike I saw looked nice, with very nice components and wheels, and I am conservative that way. I am going to test ride one. Pricing is excellent. I don't really understand why so many here bad mouth a bike that they know so little about.

Sandy

eddief
07-16-2007, 11:48 PM
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/lifestyle/942/28449/zoom/

swoop
07-17-2007, 12:18 AM
i wouldn't characterize the extralight as being an unstable bike. i would call it lively but stable. but to each his own....

Climb01742
07-17-2007, 04:18 AM
years ago, when merlin was still based here, i test rode an extralight. it was one of the few test rides ever that i felt and said "wow!" for various stupid reasons i didn't buy it. doh!

sandy, i'd be curious what you think about the madone. hope you'll tell us.

BoulderGeek
07-17-2007, 04:32 AM
Wow, this thread has legs!

Being a hardware enthusiast, I look at all of the bikes that I encounter over here this summer.

Imagine my surprise when I see that roughly half of the sporty cyclists that I have encountered out on the landscape are using Treks! This is Europe!

One does see the odd DeRosas (for which I have a lust unquenchable), Nagos, Pinarellos and Ridleys. But, overwhelmingly, Trek Madones are well represented in France.

Haven't seen one Serotta, even at Tignes, La Marmotte and Alpe d'Huez.

I'd like to prepare a proposal to Serotta: give me one smokin' fine Ottrott (pearl white 58cm with ovals and carbon peek-a-boo decals) and I will ride it to every TdF stage next year, to provide needed exposure. :D ;)

jbrainin
07-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Haven't seen one Serotta, even at Tignes, La Marmotte and Alpe d'Huez.

I'd like to prepare a proposal to Serotta: give me one smokin' fine Ottrott (pearl white 58cm with ovals and carbon peek-a-boo decals) and I will ride it to every TdF stage next year, to provide needed exposure. :D ;)

I'll one up you here: for merely the cost of roundtrip airfare, I'll take my Mei Vici to the TdF and ride it on the course for the whole three weeks. ;)

Lifelover
07-17-2007, 01:01 PM
I'll one up you here: for merely the cost of roundtrip airfare, I'll take my Mei Vici to the TdF and ride it on the course for the whole three weeks. ;)

If you can afford a Mei Vici you can afford your own tickets :beer:

mikki
07-17-2007, 01:16 PM
I think it looks very "Specilized" but do have a pretty big curiousity how well it rides. Plan to jump on one just to satisfy my wonderings sometime...

If the bike's performance is absolutely a skyrocket and comfortable, I would put up with "wierd" or "different" looks. :cool: