PDA

View Full Version : Question about crank relation to frame

Fivethumbs
06-01-2007, 04:01 PM
I just installed a set of SRAM Rival cranks on my frame and the non-drive sticks out about 3mm farther from the centerline of the frame. I measured from the edges of the bottom bracket cups to the frame centerline and the distance for both is the same, so its not an issue with the bottom bracket needing facing or anything. I called SRAM and was told it is normal for the tips of the crank arms to not be the same distance from the frame. Is this true? It seems strange that it woul be normal for me to be pedaling with my left leg sticking out farther than my right. Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts anyone?

David Kirk
06-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Lots of cranks/BB are like this.

The big question is how close is the small ring to the stay. If there's lots of room you could get a shorter spindle (maybe) and move it over. If not.....not.

Dave

Ozz
06-01-2007, 05:04 PM
...3mm...
I've heard this discussed before.... :confused: ;) :cool: :beer:

Jeff N.
06-01-2007, 07:46 PM
I used to freak out when I'd notice stuff like that. One time I noticed that the left crank arm on one of my bikes passed further away from the left chain stay than the right one from the right chain stay, by a few mm's. The perfectionist in me told me they should be ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL if everything's as it should be. I then checked about a zillion bikes, and found that few are. Everyone was saying stuff like, "try a different spindle length, if it bothers you", as if there is such a thing on Ultegra or Dura Ace 7800 or Campy Record. Now I don't give it much thought, as long as everything works as it should. Jeff N.

Too Tall
06-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Dewwwwwwd, it's a non-starter. When you pedal in or out of the saddle no way in heck you can feel that or would it cause any any any problem.

If you can not sleep at night it is legit to use a nominal shim on the driveside.

BOY AM I SIK OF DIS :(
There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Fivethumbs
06-02-2007, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the responses. Now I feel better. Never a good feeling to buy something new and wonder if it's defective. I never paid attention to the Q factor before but I'm building up a perfect frame, so I was checking everything.

mdeeds71
06-03-2007, 11:30 AM
OK, I actually had this problem...I first offset my cleat on one shoe to bring it in, that actually worked well and even City Cycle said I still looked proper. I ended up looking at each crank arm and compared them to each other. It ended up being that the arm alone was for a triple and had a different curve vs the crank side. I ended up getting an echange from a forum member to alleviate this.

I cannot speak for the new crank you are using but I know this was on Campy.

Good luck...

PS I used to try to be a perfectionist on my landings at the airline...gave that up because sometimes perfection hampers safety.

Mark