PDA

View Full Version : Shipping bikes (check it with airline or ship it)?

BURCH
06-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Flying to Boston with my wife to do the Great Mass Getaway with some family and friends. I have not flown with a bike in a while and when I did it wasn't that great of a bike. For those of you that do this often with your Carbon/Steel/TI babies, do I pack up the bikes and....

1) Check it on the plane (We will have to connect to get from Louisville to Boston).

2) Send it thru DHL or UPS to a family's place

Thanks,
BURCH

David Kirk
06-01-2007, 09:52 AM
From where I sit there is no great way to do this. I'll be flying to NY for the Giro Del Toga next week and I have two choices in getting the bike there (just like you).

1) I ship it Fed Ex at the cost of about $75 each way with insurance and be without it for almost a week. It's my only road bike so going without is a bummer.

2) I fly with it for $80 each way (NWA) and theoretically have it when I get off the plane but there is zero insurance when flying with it. If NWA loses it or crushes it or whatever it's on me.

A lose-lose if ever there was one.

Dave

znfdl
06-01-2007, 09:54 AM
If your flight is non-stop, then fly with your bike

If you have to change planes or you have a stop, ship the bike

gt6267a
06-01-2007, 09:58 AM
dk - i believe all airlines replace lost luggage upto a certain dollar value. unless they make a special exception for bikes? many years ago, UA lost a bag. the form i filled out said my max compensation was $2500. just as i was handing in my claim they found my bag, so i never tested the system. the language made it look like this was either govt regulated or an industry standard. maybe someone will chime in with more info, but i don't believe you are totally out to lunch if they loose your luggage.

maybe you could call a nice frame builder and get him to make you another one?

David Kirk
06-01-2007, 10:22 AM
dk - i believe all airlines replace lost luggage upto a certain dollar value. unless they make a special exception for bikes? many years ago, UA lost a bag. the form i filled out said my max compensation was $2500. just as i was handing in my claim they found my bag, so i never tested the system. the language made it look like this was either govt regulated or an industry standard. maybe someone will chime in with more info, but i don't believe you are totally out to lunch if they loose your luggage.

maybe you could call a nice frame builder and get him to make you another one?

NWA has a spot on their site where that say that the loss or damage of a bike is your problem. I think all airlines are the same. They treat it as "special baggage".

They make me feel appreciated!

Dave

gt6267a
06-01-2007, 10:31 AM
so, a suitcase and its contents are covered but bikes, skis, wheelchairs ... are not covered? i could have a $2k suit covered but not a $2k bike? hmmm, that is jacked up.

BumbleBeeDave
06-01-2007, 10:43 AM
. . . and what the law requires of them may be two entirely different things. They will say what they feel gives them the best chance of avoiding you giving them a hard time if something happens. Of course if they lose your bike you could sue them, but whether you would be alone in your fight or would have government, NHTSA regulations, or international treaty to back you up would be two different stories.

I would tend to agree with znfdl . . . if you can be sure it's a nonstop, then you might be OK. If there is a plane change, that's a huge opportunity for your bike to get "misplaced." In any event, you should see what you can find out about security procedures at the airports you're using. At some airports you can at least stand by--even if it's 20 feet away--and watch them open and close the case. But at others they take it to another room and you can't even watch.

BBD

CalfeeFly
06-01-2007, 10:51 AM
. In any event, you should see what you can find out about security procedures at the airports you're using. At some airports you can at least stand by--even if it's 20 feet away--and watch them open and close the case. But at others they take it to another room and you can't even watch.

BBD

I remember a similar question asked last year or so. One person posted that he was standing there watching security checked his bike box and then closed it improperly ruining the frame. It was just his tough luck and they would not do a thing for him. I would be hesitant remembering that story.

LegendRider
06-01-2007, 11:14 AM
NWA has a spot on their site where that say that the loss or damage of a bike is your problem. I think all airlines are the same. They treat it as "special baggage".

They make me feel appreciated!

Dave

NWA is charging me $150 each way for a trip to Europe this summer!

Serotta PETE
06-01-2007, 11:24 AM
If traveling in the US, I would only recommend shipping via UPS or Fed EX. It runs about 40 plus insurance each way (on average for me). Ship to friend, local bike store, or the hotel.

If S&S like SMILEY and ME, then airlines do not charge.

Have fun PETE

djg
06-01-2007, 12:32 PM
I guess there's also the question whether you have a hard shell case for your bike. Maybe I'm overly pessimistic, but I'd be hesitant to hand over a bike to the Airlines without a very, very well-braced package surrounding the bike. You could do this with a standard bike box (and extra bits of stuff), but I would take extra care in doing it. The last time I sold a bike, I was able to pick up a box from the LBS for free, and I don't believe that FedEx charged me more than 40 bucks to ship it, fully insured (obviously, that wasn't overnight shipping, but it didn't take long). That's domestic shipping--international may be another story.

sam.g
06-01-2007, 12:54 PM
I fly quite frequently for business and would never entrust anything that I absolutely had to have on time or in proper working order to an airline. Most are in brankruptcy or emerging from and could care less about their passengers let alone checked baggage. If they're willing to strand you on a runway for 10 hours, how much do you really think they care about your bike? To make matters worse all checked baggage is opened, rummaged through and slammed shut by TSA, not known for caring about the condition of items they inspect when reclosing the case. If you've had your baggage lost you'll find that the liability limits are ridiculous and based unpon the weight of the checked article not value, your home owners policy actually provides better coverage, but there is no coverage for missing an important event due to a delayed or lost bike.

For our group's bike tour this July, I'm shipping all 8 of our bikes directly to the starting hotel by Fed-Ex. It will actually cost less and we're assured of not missing the tour due to delay or loss. The only possible negative is that our bikes will be unavailable for several day before and after, but that's really an opportunity to own more than one bike. Works for me and good for the bicycle industry.

Sam in Cincy

Ken Robb
06-01-2007, 01:20 PM
hey Dave-- maybe you need a bikeFriday in its Samsonite checkable suitcase.

You could maybe trade them one of yours for one theirs? :)

sg8357
06-01-2007, 01:37 PM
In the States, DHL, cost wise it is wash vs. the Airlines.
Hassle wise, it nice know the bike is already at your destination
when you leave for the airport.
Plus you don't have the bike box + taxi adventure.
[aside, there are now businesses that will ship your regular
luggage to your destination, precursor to the TSAs Fly Nekkid Plan]

Europe is different, some airlines let you count your bike against
the luggage allowance and some airlines let you skip the box.

The luggage guys are much more careful with a bare bike vs.
an armored box, much easier for them to handle. Bare bikes
don't stack either, so they don't end up at the botton of the pile.
[chain and rear derailer removed]

Best solution, Gulfstream with Park stand bolted to the bulkhead.
2nd best, C-17 with fork mounts.

Scott G.

Louis
06-01-2007, 02:00 PM
After my one and only experience with Fed-Ex and my bike (where they managed to somehow drop the Trico box in a manner that bent the big chainring) I've concluded that I won't ship a bike unless I'll be riding it for at least a week. Anything shorter than that, I'll rent / borrow something locally.

Another option is to drive. KY-MA is not that big a deal...

Louis

martianbait
06-01-2007, 03:17 PM
If your flight is non-stop, then fly with your bike

If you have to change planes or you have a stop, ship the bike

Hmmm, no guarantee there. I just flew from San Diego to Boston nonstop direct with my bike and it didn't arrive on the flight I was on. It arrived a day later....the airlines never loaded it on the plane!

barry1021
06-01-2007, 04:05 PM
After my one and only experience with Fed-Ex and my bike (where they managed to somehow drop the Trico box in a manner that bent the big chainring) I've concluded that I won't ship a bike unless I'll be riding it for at least a week. Anything shorter than that, I'll rent / borrow something locally.

Another option is to drive. KY-MA is not that big a deal...

Louis

from 5000 feet!.

I have done both--I have the Trico, which is a great container but i worry about the inspection. I have shipped ahead, but as Dave says you are one bike short for a time each way. I have gone to the S&S coupler; I think its going to be the best solution.

b21

Bill D
06-01-2007, 04:12 PM
I have done both--I have the Trico, which is a great container but i worry about the inspection. I have shipped ahead, but as Dave says you are one bike short for a time each way. I have gone to the S&S coupler; I think its going to be the best solution.

b21

Hey, Barry (or others who have the S&S couplers): How's the ride on a bike with the couplers? Can you tell a difference between that and a bike without the couplers?

By the way, Barry, when's the next trip out to AZ?

Bradford
06-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Hey, Barry (or others who have the S&S couplers): How's the ride on a bike with the couplers? Can you tell a difference between that and a bike without the couplers?
No difference but the weight and the price.

ClutchCargo
06-01-2007, 04:27 PM
NWA is charging me $150 each way for a trip to Europe this summer!

Yeah, get used to it. They just came out of bankruptcy. All the airlines are looking for additional revenue. Have you noticed the maintenance people who come on board searching the seat cusions for loose change as the passengers depart? Just kidding (sort of).

jcmuellner
06-01-2007, 04:33 PM
I've heard many good things about S&S couplers and have decided to take one of my bikes and have it done for PBP in August. I don't ride it so much now, but it used to be my brevet bike (I already did PBP on it once), so it should be the perfect candidate. Also, it's not my "best" bike per say, so if it got wacked I could live with it.

The real concern traveling for me is that PBP is once every four years and I just want to get there with my bike and be ready...a loaner for the event (though others have done it) is not my ideal plan.

Even so, the saddle, pedals and shoes will be coming with me on board! Ya never know....

Jon

Kirk007
06-01-2007, 06:28 PM
I have a Kirk with and one without couplers. They have ever so slightly different design criteria, but the couplers play no role in that whatsoever other than getting it into a suitcase. Also have an Erickson tandem with couplers. I neither percieve nor believe there to be any performance related deficit with the couplers. The weight - 8 oz. or so - is insignificant to me. In fact the travel bike is built up slightly lighter than the other. The cost if you travel alot and don't swap bikes every year or two amortizes out very quickly. A bit more daily/weekly maintenance - double checking couplers remain tight, etc., but again no bid deal.

Greg

barry1021
06-01-2007, 07:46 PM

By the way, Barry, when's the next trip out to AZ?

Hey Bill
Um I was out last week for a few days, I didn't call becuz I was on a tight schedule meeting contractors etc. But if you want I will sent a pix of my road rash when I went down on the Moots on the unpaved part of Cave Creek on the way to Seven Springs. Yikes!!
Put about 90 miles on the Strong and I love it. Very quick and responsive. Got up to almost 40mph on some bumpy downhills and it handles beautifully. Definitely the nicest road bike I have built up (so far). I would say done right, the couplers are great!! Now all I have to do is figure out how to pack it (great instructions on the S&S site tho). Next trip out probably July, so early AM rides with camelbak.

b21

b21

davep
06-01-2007, 10:12 PM
For those that think that a bike with couplers will solve all your travel problems - think again. I have a coupled bike and love it, but it is not without issues. In the post 9/11 world, having TSA open and inspect your bike case is not trouble free. If you have never done it, packing a coupled bike is an exercise in patience. It takes a bit of practice and trial and error to get a normal sized bke into a 26" x 26" x 10" case. Once it is opened for inspection, if they remove any item at all, it will probably not be put back in properly, maybe to the point that the case will not close.

I have done only a few trips with my bike, one overseas and a couple domestic. I always put a note right on top of the bike with my cell phone and "Please call if thre are any problems." On one flight I got a call from TSA requesting I come to the baggage area, where they could not get my bike back in the case after they had removed and inspected it. At first they said I could tell them what to do but could not touch the bike. When that did not work (duh) the supervisor let me repack the bike. I was very glad that this was a small airport and the staff took the time time to contact me. Who knows what the result would be in a larger or foreign airport where they don't have the time or inclination to make this effort. A case partially packed and closed with duct tape???

barry1021
06-01-2007, 11:25 PM
For those that think that a bike with couplers will solve all your travel problems - think again. I have a coupled bike and love it, but it is not without issues. In the post 9/11 world, having TSA open and inspect your bike case is not trouble free. If you have never done it, packing a coupled bike is an exercise in patience. It takes a bit of practice and trial and error to get a normal sized bke into a 26" x 26" x 10" case. Once it is opened for inspection, if they remove any item at all, it will probably not be put back in properly, maybe to the point that the case will not close.

I have done only a few trips with my bike, one overseas and a couple domestic. I always put a note right on top of the bike with my cell phone and "Please call if thre are any problems." On one flight I got a call from TSA requesting I come to the baggage area, where they could not get my bike back in the case after they had removed and inspected it. At first they said I could tell them what to do but could not touch the bike. When that did not work (duh) the supervisor let me repack the bike. I was very glad that this was a small airport and the staff took the time time to contact me. Who knows what the result would be in a larger or foreign airport where they don't have the time or inclination to make this effort. A case partially packed and closed with duct tape???

but worth a try
http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_net.htm

bigbill
06-02-2007, 01:30 AM
I have flown with a bike numerous times. My last trip was from Honolulu to Olbia, Sardinia. I changed airlines in Chicago and Rome. I claimed my baggage in Rome and rechecked it on Meridiana to fly to Sardinia. It did help that my bike was one of dozens headed to the start of the Giro. Did I mention that I sat next to Axel M on the plane? I have pictures. When I was taking frequent trips between San Diego and Honolulu, I looked into UPS since the airlines were charging $80-100 each way. Because I use a hard shell travel case, the cost to use UPS was twice that of the airlines. I am sure packing it in a frame box would be cheaper, but it was my Pegoretti Fina. The BLE I bought from SoCalSteve is here with me now in Italy. I was a little more than paranoid during the trip though.

Bill D
06-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Hey Bill
Um I was out last week for a few days, I didn't call becuz I was on a tight schedule meeting contractors etc. But if you want I will sent a pix of my road rash when I went down on the Moots on the unpaved part of Cave Creek on the way to Seven Springs. Yikes!!
Put about 90 miles on the Strong and I love it. Very quick and responsive. Got up to almost 40mph on some bumpy downhills and it handles beautifully. Definitely the nicest road bike I have built up (so far). I would say done right, the couplers are great!! Now all I have to do is figure out how to pack it (great instructions on the S&S site tho). Next trip out probably July, so early AM rides with camelbak.

b21

b21

No worries. I've been out of town some the last couple weeks and busy with work in between. I rode in the heat this morning, and it was a lot tougher than it should have been. Unclear how much of that was the heat and how much a lack of saddle time for the past 2-3 weeks, but I was pretty low-energy. Guess I better start riding more again.

Sounds like a nasty crash on the cross bike. I've never been down that road much past Pima. Is the unpaved portion that rough? Or is the problem that it's fast with loose gravel maybe? Either way, I hope you're healing OK.

-bill

1centaur
06-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Reducing this question to logic:

With either option, there is a chance that your bike container will be sat on by an elephant, effectively. If you ship it, YOU control exactly how it is packed to survive that force, when you go by airline, the TSA controls exactly how it's packed. Who cares more?

People with one good bike are out of luck. Cost is what it is.

A high cost case packed and shipped correctly will be expensive, but it has the highest likelihood of giving you the away from home experience you want.

cleavel
06-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Best solution, Gulfstream with Park stand bolted to the bulkhead.
2nd best, C-17 with fork mounts.

Scott G.
Hello Scott,

As one of the original engineers who designed the C-17 cargo system I wish that I had thought of attaching fork clamps to the tie-down rings. Hmm... :D

To the OP, I haven't flown with my bike in over a decade but I have flown with it several times with very mixed results. I have not personally done the shipping thing but know a few people personally who have done it with good results.

[Soapbox on] This whole TSA thing is kind of dumb IMHO. I supposed that some miscreant could use a bike to "hide" explosives, but it amazes me to think that a visual inspection would show more than an appropriate x-ray and residue detection technique. [Soapbox off]

IMHO, if you can't or don't want to rent, ship it.

barry1021
06-03-2007, 05:17 AM
No worries. I've been out of town some the last couple weeks and busy with work in between. I rode in the heat this morning, and it was a lot tougher than it should have been. Unclear how much of that was the heat and how much a lack of saddle time for the past 2-3 weeks, but I was pretty low-energy. Guess I better start riding more again.

Sounds like a nasty crash on the cross bike. I've never been down that road much past Pima. Is the unpaved portion that rough? Or is the problem that it's fast with loose gravel maybe? Either way, I hope you're healing OK.

-bill
folks said it was a good ride on their road bikes, I thought I would try it. RIght where it goes unpaved, there is a steep descent, probably the steepest on Cave Creek to that point. At first, it is not bad, but then it gets a bit softer and there is a switchback to the right and it keep descending. I was hard on the brakes and I should have gotten off and carried, as I was uncomfortable and unfamiliar with the road. Maybe becasue of the fire, they aren't doing as much maintenance, not sure. ANyway I took the switchback a little tight, hit a soft spot and went down on my left side. Not going fast so it wasn't too bad, and more importantly, the Moots was unscathed, except for the pedal and scratches on the shifter. Russity if you are reading this, I repeat, Mootsie is fine, it's just me that got banged up a bit.

b21

JasonH
06-03-2007, 09:57 AM
I just recently flew from O'hare through Amsterdam to Marseilles and back with no opening of the case and no extra charges for size or weight. I used a Trico Iron case and I can't see how any case would be more secure. To the person who said they've seen a lot of them break in it, I can only guess they weren't packed properly because otherwise it makes no sense. The only real vulnerable parts would be the rear triangle and fork due to being smashed under all the other baggage, and if you mount the spacers in there tightly you're golden. As far as being tossed around, and dropped, I don't see that doing a bit of damage. My bike didn't move an inch inside and the case had a few decent scuffs.

BoulderGeek
06-03-2007, 03:05 PM
I just flew this week from BWI to Paris through Reykjavik, Iceland.

Fortunately, the bike arrived in good shape on the same flight I was on. Iceland Air only charged $70 one way. DHL was $400 one way (though a longer distance).

One major downside that took a toll on my calm was that the case (a Performance trico-wannabe, but it was cheap) with bike, gear, clothing, etc weighed in at 42Kg when I stepped up to the counter. Iceland Air refused it, as their fine-print states 32Kg is the max for one item.

I had a stressful time trying to mitigate this, until I remembered that I had panniers in the case. I loaded everything with density into one pannier side: sunscreens, shaving gear, GU shots, powerbars, electronics, cycling shoes. Wedged that baby up, and sure enough, I got my 22 lbs back. I also lost the nice ratchet tiedown straps I had just bought, but that was like 3-4 lbs right there.

The last time I took a cased bike overseas, I went straight into a rental car at the airport. This time, I had to navigate busses in Paris, Gare de Lyon on a Friday rush hour, ending up in my destination at night with no hotel due to a travel agent error, manhandling two heavy bags up stairs and into the little elevators, etc. My arms were freaking tired.

I'm shipping this thing back after the summer. Never again will I have to schlep the bike through a busy city. The positive is, no damage along the way.

All told, I could have bought a bike here, used it, and flipped it at the end for the same cost that bringing one ended up to be. But, I have a bike that works for me. I have enough French language problems as it is, so I am happy I don't have to negotiate something specific.

On the upside, I rode up to Aix le Bains this morning for coffee, and had a nice 35 mile spin at the base of the Alps.

mdeeds71
06-03-2007, 03:33 PM
From where I sit there is no great way to do this. I'll be flying to NY for the Giro Del Toga next week and I have two choices in getting the bike there (just like you).

1) I ship it Fed Ex at the cost of about $75 each way with insurance and be without it for almost a week. It's my only road bike so going without is a bummer.

2) I fly with it for $80 each way (NWA) and theoretically have it when I get off the plane but there is zero insurance when flying with it. If NWA loses it or crushes it or whatever it's on me.

A lose-lose if ever there was one.

Dave

Bicycles
Continental Airlines accepts a non-motorized bicycle with single seat or up to two non-motorized bicycles packed in one case as checked baggage. The following are bicycle restrictions:

Handlebars must be fixed sideways and pedals removed or
All loose items must be enclosed in plastic foam or similar protective material or
Bicycle should be transported in a sealed box. If a box is needed, see the Courtesy Bags section of this site.
If the bike(s) is packed in a container that is over 50 lbs (23kg) and/or 62 linear inches (157cm), a $95 service charge applies each way. The service charge is in addition to any excess baggage charges that may apply.
Continental is not liable for damage to bicycles that do not have the handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed, handlebars and pedals encased in plastic foam or similar material or bicycles not contained in a cardboard containers or hard-sided cases.
Note: Bicycles will not be accepted during an excess baggage embargo when no excess baggage is allowed

I work for them...and trust them...even with the bike I am buying end of this summer :D

sjbraun
06-03-2007, 04:52 PM
They will take your bike out of the case, do whatever they wish with it and then shove it back in the case anyway that suits them.
My son flew with his cello last year. His cello was carefully packed in a hard case. He always packs towels into the space between the instrument and the inside edge of the case in order to prevent any movement of the cello. During the TSA inspection, (which you cannot observe,) it was damaged. It looked like someone yanked it out of the case and banged it against a table. The cello arrived with towels hanging out of the case. Basically, the instrument was just shoved back into the case with no concern for how it was packed originally.
Filing a claim with the TSA is as difficult as you would imagine. You have to have proof of the the instrument's condition, (pictures) to establish that it was not damaged before they handled it.

Me, I'd ship anything of value. When my son heads to VT for the Killington Music Festival this summer, he's buying two tickets, one for him and another for his instrument.

Steve

barry1021
06-03-2007, 06:39 PM
They will take your bike out of the case, do whatever they wish with it and then shove it back in the case anyway that suits them.
My son flew with his cello last year. His cello was carefully packed in a hard case. He always packs towels into the space between the instrument and the inside edge of the case in order to prevent any movement of the cello. During the TSA inspection, (which you cannot observe,) it was damaged. It looked like someone yanked it out of the case and banged it against a table. The cello arrived with towels hanging out of the case. Basically, the instrument was just shoved back into the case with no concern for how it was packed originally.
Filing a claim with the TSA is as difficult as you would imagine. You have to have proof of the the instrument's condition, (pictures) to establish that it was not damaged before they handled it.

Me, I'd ship anything of value. When my son heads to VT for the Killington Music Festival this summer, he's buying two tickets, one for him and another for his instrument.

Steve
of the golf stand legs missing. Not even in the bag, you would have thought the effin ahole would at least put it back in the bag.