PDA

View Full Version : anybody Muddy Buddy? (questions)

gck
06-01-2007, 07:55 AM
A runner friend of mine just proposed that I team up with him to race this year's Muddy Buddy (http://www.muddybuddy.com) in Boulder. Looks like fun, even though I've neither run a race nor been on a mountain bike very much since high school.

Anyone ever done one of these? Stories, tips? It looks like mostly for fun, but knowing athletes (especially here), I imagine some still come prepared to crush all who stand in their way. If you've done Boulder, what's the course like?

Since my buddy's a good four inches shorter than I, and doesn't own a bike, we're going to have to acquire some kind of rig to share. Do people usually bring their beaters? Cross bikes? Suspension rigs? Fixies? :beer:

Thanks.

J.Greene
06-01-2007, 08:32 AM
it's one of the most fun things there is to do. Most people I saw could not be described as racers, just athletic weekenders. I saw all kinds of bikes, most were mid level mtbs.

JG

myette10
06-01-2007, 10:19 AM
I did one a few years ago here in New England. It was poorly run, as the first leg of the course was poorly marked and the staff was overwhelemd with lost participants. Once we all got on track, it was a great race. It helps if you and your partner are relatively close in athletic ability so that one isn't waiting long for the other.

They had free beer and afterwards and sent tee shirts to as an apology to everyone. The shirts mocked their disorganization, reading "I found the finish: Muddy Buddy Boston 2002."

It was a joint Brook/Specialized event at the time and the winning team featured none other than Mr. Overend.