PDA

View Full Version : Seven Axiom (steel)

rwsaunders
05-31-2007, 09:16 PM
Does anyone have experience owning one of these frames? Your thoughts, please.

dave thompson
05-31-2007, 09:29 PM
Too small for us Bob.

davids
06-01-2007, 09:04 AM
I've owned one since 2003. I bought it used - It's a "signature size", but designed to be slightly on the stiffer and quicker side. It was my main bike for years, and I like it a lot. It's smooth, handles well, and has that nice steel 'spring'.

But when I went shopping for a new bike a year and a half ago, I found that I preferred every Serotta I rode to every Seven (and I rode lots - from the Fierte through the Legend, and the Seven Alaris & Ti Axiom.) Serottas climb better, are more responsive to pedaling (that 'push and it goes' feeling), and handle even better.

I still have the Axiom - It's my 'summer camp' bike, spending the warm months in the Maine woods, and the cold months on a stationary trainer - and I enjoy riding it. But no where near as much as my Nove!

If I was shopping for a steel bike in the Seven Axiom price range, I'd be looking very closely at the CDA. Or maybe an IF Crown Jewel...

norman neville
06-01-2007, 05:56 PM
at least as options. (sorry serotta.) imo, there's no sense having a nicely done steel frame without a proper steel fork. so, perhaps, of the three, 7, if and serotta, if would be the only one to offer the correct fork. atmo.

Jeff N.
06-01-2007, 07:24 PM
I've owned a custom Seven Axiom Steel for about 3 years. It rides beautifully, with that typical steel ride. It's Tig welds are flawless...typical Seven quality...among the best in the business, IMO. It's factory gloss black (with white decals) paint job, with Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork painted to match by JB, is easy on the eyes. I've always loved Sevens curvy chain and seat stays, and the Axiom Steel's is/are no exception. All Dura Ace with K's (SSC-SL's). My Axiom Steel, along with my Landshark Road Shark, are my only steel rides. I'll never part with either. Jeff N.

Brian Smith
06-01-2007, 07:28 PM
at least as options. (sorry serotta.) imo, there's no sense having a nicely done steel frame without a proper steel fork. so, perhaps, of the three, 7, if and serotta, if would be the only one to offer the correct fork. atmo.

Norman-
If you're buying a custom steel frame, especially from Serotta, there is no problem with designing the frame around whatever favored fork you can imagine and procure. Serotta will also paint it to integrate it to your scheme and possibly save money on your fork purchase if your manufacturer is willing to send it unpainted. Especially on the 'cross side, we've often done this with IF forks before, Waterford, and I think Vicious Cycles as well. Even my favorite ti frame has a steel fork, and I can appreciate steel forks for sure, but the Fseries forks are also some of the best carbon forks in the industry and are held to strict tolerances.