PDA

View Full Version : Nice Lance Story...

Ottrott
05-31-2007, 03:35 PM
No drugs, no recriminations....

http://www.tulsaworld.com/lifestyle/article.aspx?articleID=070531_238_D1_hAtee57754

Dave B
05-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Warms my heart! :D

Sure makes you wonder....who needs drugs when your that good! :D

sailorboy
05-31-2007, 07:29 PM
Yea, I've done enough olympic distance tris to know that it doesn't matter how flat or easy the course is, that is waaay faster than any 10th grader should even have a right to dream about going. I doubt he was doping as a 15 year-old...he's probably just that good.

JumpStart
05-31-2007, 07:56 PM
Here's link to his former agents web page. It includes a nice narrative of the triathlon stage of his career.

http://www.scottedersports.com/lance.php

djg
05-31-2007, 08:05 PM
Warms my heart! :D

Sure makes you wonder....who needs drugs when your that good! :D

I'm not sure I get it. It's not a warm-and-fuzzy, what-a-sweetheart story, and whatever you think Lance did or did not take years later, did anybody ever doubt that he was a huge talent? Breadth of the palmares? Argue all you want. Relative talents to certain other greats, again, argue all you want. Sometimes you're in an event with somebody that's head and shoulders better than the good, regional-caliber athletes, or even national-caliber athletes, that make up the rest of the field (or its better parts). It happens in different sports, and it's striking (or has been to me in a couple of situations that didn't involve Lance or a bike).

Dave B
05-31-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm not sure I get it. It's not a warm-and-fuzzy, what-a-sweetheart story, and whatever you think Lance did or did not take years later, did anybody ever doubt that he was a huge talent? Breadth of the palmares? Argue all you want. Relative talents to certain other greats, again, argue all you want. Sometimes you're in an event with somebody that's head and shoulders better than the good, regional-caliber athletes, or even national-caliber athletes, that make up the rest of the field (or its better parts). It happens in different sports, and it's striking (or has been to me in a couple of situations that didn't involve Lance or a bike).

Wait a tick! There are a small handfull of people who believe in Lance here. Most posts slam him, call him a cheater, blah blah blah.

There are so many people who jump down on him, then when one person ie. Yours truly likes to throw a little sarcasm back, people get bent out of shape.

Come on now. Everyone likes a smart arse when you agree with em.

Lance rocks, and it appears he always has.

So there! :D :beer:

Mikki feels me! And I know Swoop does deep down!

Dave B
05-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Plus i felt warm and fuzzy....so there!

rounder
05-31-2007, 08:43 PM
I agree with everyone here. People can argue all day long whether Lance's wins were tainted (i believe he had enough pride and respect to race clean...especially in the tdf). I don't see how anyone can argue whether he was talented. also..thanks for the post ottrot.

swoop
06-01-2007, 08:43 AM
yah, not so much. i dont like kool aid.

Steelhead
06-01-2007, 10:15 AM
(i believe he had enough pride and respect to race clean...especially in the tdf).

:confused:

cdimattio
06-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Lance is certainly one of the cycling greats. But aside from emotions, I am not sure how his legacy is much different than Barry Bonds.

Bonds is an excepionally talented athlete. Lots of suspicions against Bonds, but no conclusive evidence and every drug test has been negative. The body of allegations, testimony and evidence against Lance Armstrong is as large as that against Barry Bonds.

The benefits of steroids on baseball hitting can be debated. Added muscle mass may increase the distance a player is able to hit a baseball, but what negative effect does that added mass have in altering the fluidity of the player's swing? Hitting is much more about technique, reflexes and hand-eye coordination rather than muscle.

There is a comon belief that steroids have been pervasive in Baseball, so even if steroids were used the playing field is level. In addition, steroids have probably improved pitching.

Just my own pragmatic view on two exceptional athletes. When you feel bad about people bashing Lance, rest assured that he is being treated much better than Barry Bonds.

rounder
06-01-2007, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=cdimattio]
There is a comon belief that steroids have been pervasive in Baseball, so even if steroids were used the playing field is level. In addition, steroids have probably improved pitching.

Sorry did not mean to rant, but i don't believe steroids makes the playing field more level...i think it makes it more shabby. i can sort of understand a marginal european bike racer who is not making much money doing what ever is necessary to make and stay on the team to feed his family, etc...including partaking if that will help their lead guy finish. If he is told to do that, or if it is presented in such a way that it is within the rules and that is what all the other racers are doing, then that (to me) is different than someone who is competing at the highest level and is destroying others' accomplished records. If the rules say to play the best you can and do what ever drugs you like, then that's a level playing field. Otherwise, play by the book. (sorry, didn't mean to rant).)