PDA

View Full Version : LBS owner's son killed in Iraq.

Ken Robb
05-31-2007, 01:07 PM
armymillard.com
This link goes to a blog of a young guy who's dad and brother run one of the best LBS in San Diego, CA.---California Bicycles on La Jolla Blvd.

I was dumbstruck to read in yesterday's paper that he was killed 5/26/07 by a roadside bomb while serving with the 82nd Airborne. THAT really brough it homke to me. I was at the party celebrating his graduation from jump school.

39cross
05-31-2007, 01:57 PM
armymillard.com
This link goes to a blog of a young guy who's dad and brother run one of the best LBS in San Diego, CA.---California Bicycles on La Jolla Blvd.

I was dumbstruck to read in yesterday's paper that he was killed 5/26/07 by a roadside bomb while serving with the 82nd Airborne. THAT really brough it homke to me. I was at the party celebrating his graduation from jump school.I am very sorry to hear this. What does one say? I think about my two teenage sons and can only imagine what the pain and sorrow must be like.

There was an excellent Bill Moyers show last Friday, where he interviewed Maxine Hong Kingston, who has run writer's workshops for veterans. It was a very moving show. If you missed it, the transcript can be read here (http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/05252007/transcript1.html). One of the people interviewed was not a veteran, but a woman whose husband died in Vietnam. If I remember correctly, the people interviewed said it took them 20-30 years to come to grips with their experiences.

Sandy
05-31-2007, 02:06 PM
It is really almost impossible to truly relate to the ordeal a family goes through with such a tragic event. Having known the son gives you a little better perspective, but living it on a day to day basis must me tough to bear. Very sad.

Sandy

Bill Bove
05-31-2007, 02:50 PM
No words can fill or even describe the hole in his loved ones lives. God bless him and all the others in harms way.

gdw
05-31-2007, 02:53 PM
I feel so sorry for that family. It's really painful reading posts like that especially since a good friends son is in the 82nd and has been deployed in Iraq since January.

onekgguy
05-31-2007, 05:08 PM
Very sad news. When I was stationed in San Diego I used to ride up to La Jolla to browse around California Bicycles a couple times a month...great shop then and I'm glad to hear it still is. I've been wearing their jersey on my rides lately.

Kevin wouldn't remember me but I first met him in 1978 just after his father had purchased the store. He was all of maybe 17 or 18 then.

It's impossible to imagine the pain he and his family are feeling. My prayers are with them.

Kevin g

Ken Robb
05-31-2007, 06:23 PM
I didn't know him in 1978 but I think Kevin opened the store himself before he was 20. I don't think his dad was ever involved. Pretty amazing accomplishment.

onekgguy
05-31-2007, 08:29 PM
I didn't know him in 1978 but I think Kevin opened the store himself before he was 20. I don't think his dad was ever involved. Pretty amazing accomplishment.

He was under 20 for sure but I'm pretty certain his father backed him...I could be wrong. I seem to remember his father often being there when I'd stop by.

The previous owner used to have a parot or Macaw or some such exotic bird on a perch near the front door.

Rob...do you know Kevin very well? Is he still involved in the day to day operations of the shop?

Kevin g

Ken Robb
05-31-2007, 11:33 PM
He is there every day but Sunday and is the best bike tech I've ever seen by far.. They are closed Monday. Kevin told me he "had his own shop when he was still in HS". I don't know about his dad's interest at all.

mike s
06-01-2007, 05:55 AM
Currently serving in Iraq the family gets my heart spilled sympathy. I am a Company First Sergeant and I see the youth of America in harms way every single day. They are humbled individuals who know that back home this war is not popular at all. They know about all the politics involved whether we should stay or leave. But I’ll tell you one thing, its all about looking out for your buddy on the left and right of you. Knowing he’s there for you in a firefight, or even if you just need some support. They don’t do it for the money, who in there right mind would. They do it to grow up, to build résumés, to leave a life back home that wasn’t satisfactory. They do it for college, and some just feel obligated to do it. Not a day goes by without me wondering in I will ever see my wife again, will I be able to run to her when this rotation is over, will I be able to hug her with both arms. Will I ever be able to ride my Colnagos or Pegoretti ?
And to Gregory….rest in peace. Your actions and deeds will never be forgotten. To the family stay strong.
Airborne “all the way

Kevan
06-01-2007, 06:38 AM
Please make sure that you and your buddies know that no matter how displeased we might feel about the war we have nothing but the highest regard for our troops. I can't emphasize it enough.

Keep your buddies safe and make sure they watch your back too. Please be safe and come home soon!

William
06-01-2007, 06:39 AM
Currently serving in Iraq the family gets my heart spilled sympathy. I am a Company First Sergeant and I see the youth of America in harms way every single day. They are humbled individuals who know that back home this war is not popular at all. They know about all the politics involved whether we should stay or leave. But I’ll tell you one thing, its all about looking out for your buddy on the left and right of you. Knowing he’s there for you in a firefight, or even if you just need some support. They don’t do it for the money, who in there right mind would. They do it to grow up, to build résumés, to leave a life back home that wasn’t satisfactory. They do it for college, and some just feel obligated to do it. Not a day goes by without me wondering in I will ever see my wife again, will I be able to run to her when this rotation is over, will I be able to hug her with both arms. Will I ever be able to ride my Colnagos or Pegoretti ?
And to Gregory….rest in peace. Your actions and deeds will never be forgotten. To the family stay strong.
Airborne “all the way

I'm very sorry to hear of their loss. May he rest in peace.

Mike S,
Regardless of the political goings on in the states, one thing is clear in my experience....every one I come across, no matter what their political leanings, support our troops 100%. My brother in-law and a number of my students are in country, just got back, or are getting ready to go. I worry about them all the time. They may all be in the service for different reasons, but their commitment to each other and the job is 100%.

Thank you for your service. Get back safe.

Best regards,
William

Ray
06-01-2007, 06:49 AM
Regardless of the political goings on in the states, one thing is clear in my experience....every one I come across, no matter what their political leanings, support our troops 100%.
+100
Nobody is more opposed to this war or to our current civilian leadership than I am, but my respect, admiration, and awe at the sacrifice Mike and the rest of the troops over there is total and absolute. I'm incredibly thankful to all of you for your willingness to pay the ultimate price and I only wish that willingness was being put to use for a more worthy cause. Hang in there Mike and all of our best to all of you folks over there.

-Ray

onekgguy
06-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Mike...be safe and thanks for the words and your service.

Kevin g

Ken Robb
06-04-2007, 05:59 AM
burial is today, Monday 4 June, 11am. Fort Rosecrans Nat. Cemetery.

Ahneida Ride
06-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Wars are funded by frnacation.

The process of creating fed reserve notes by typing numbers into a spreadsheet. For every irredeemable note the fed counterfeits, banks
can counterfeit an additional nine. :eek:

Thus there is limitless funding and the taxpayers get diluted
thru dilution. :no:

Stop frnacation and we will have to pay directly for wars, not thru the
tax of inflation. Direct tax = Direct response from American public.

Our troops should not be paid in irredeemable notes issued by a private
corporation.

God Bless Our Troops.

Ken Robb
06-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Just back from the burial--very moving ceremony at a beautiful site. I was im pressed that all personnel in the Army detail (about 15) were paratroopers like Shortie.

Oh, Kevin's dad was involved with the bike shop at its original location on Pearl St.

michael white
06-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Airborne “all the way

Mike,

it was great to read your post. I served in the 70's. Didn't experience anything like what you guys are going through, and I doubt anyone ever has. But I do remember then, post-Vietnam, how everyone hated servicemen. We disguised ourselves on liberty call. That's definitely not the case now, although it is an unpopular war. I mean, I think it's good that people mostly separate their feelings for the govt. from their feelings for the people actually on the ground.

Anyway, the more I read about what's happening over there, the more you are all in my prayers. Come back safe.

best,

michael white

onekgguy
06-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Just back from the burial--very moving ceremony at a beautiful site. I was im pressed that all personnel in the Army detail (about 15) were paratroopers like Shortie.

Oh, Kevin's dad was involved with the bike shop at its original location on Pearl St.
Ken,

There couldn't have been many dry eyes among you there. My heart goes out to his loved ones.

How long ago did they relocate the shop? I really need to make a trip back there for nostalgic reasons. Some of my favorite riding ever was done out in the hills around San Diego county.

Kevin g

Louis
06-04-2007, 04:50 PM
But I do remember then, post-Vietnam, how everyone hated servicemen. We disguised ourselves on liberty call. That's definitely not the case now, although it is an unpopular war.

Somewhat, but not really OT:

Vietnam was before my time. Can anyone explain why the grunts were the recipients of all that ill will? Back then they were draftees - why were they blamed, instead of the people at the top who made the decisions to send them? Seems crazy. Were they all supposed to go to Canada?

At least these days we know who the Decider is...

Louis

michael white
06-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Louis,

I can answer that, but it might take a while. In the meantime, please imagine Sheryl Crow vs. Karl Rove: Wrestlemania PayPerView Live.
And I'll get back to you.

best,
mw

djg
06-04-2007, 06:24 PM

I'm sorry for your loss and, especially, for the young man's family. I know that many of us appreciate his service, but realize, at the same time, that no amount of gratitude can erase the sorrow of losing a loved one.

twin
06-04-2007, 08:35 PM
I just lost my nephew in Iraq good Friday. I am sorry for the loss of another soldier and the family left behind. It is very sad. Thanks to all the soldiers that are doing the best job possible in such a hard times.