PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mattresses...

Kevan
05-31-2007, 06:07 AM
I know this subject borders personal saddle comfort, but maybe some of you have found horizontal perfection and are willing to recommend a bed.

We have a broken down Sealy with those integrated pads and frankly... the bed sucks! Sorry, I get cranky when I don't get a good night's sleep.

This is what I'm looking for: a firm mattress, hard, but not too hard; no built-in padded do-hingies; something that'll last more than what... 5 years.

Thanks for any suggestions, I'm going to go now and lie on the floor.

Too Tall
05-31-2007, 06:17 AM
Kev., I think of mattresses as disposable. Use a microfiber full cover and still chuck the thing after 3-4 yrs. "just because". Since I was a kid I'm either on extra extra firm (real) laytex foam or a high quality futon with a center dense foam core and wool. I think out latest one is a "Gold Bond" brand. That's my story.

dbrk
05-31-2007, 06:31 AM
I notice a bed when it's bad (for me), which is exactly how I feel about a bike. (Gratuitious bike content to begin...) Unlike the bike, which nearly always makes me happy, I'm not much of a sleeper anymore. I think it's age, runs in the family, and makes me a candidate for those sleep drugs, but I'm more likely not to medicate and just to ride more (even if I sleep less).
That said, bed commentary.

I got talked into one of those Select Comfort beds that have a "sleep number." This thing is essentially a glorified air mattress, which is what I realized when they came to install it, but it's incredibly effective and reliable. It fits together like a modular and makes you mildly annoyed that it costs so damn much or it inspires you with design, your call. It's really not flimsy or goofy in any way and it works as advertised, I must admit. My own sleep number is much higher (60) than the folks in the store say is common, so I guess I still remember sleeping on the floor in India (for years and years). But the other side of the bed is set up soft and has also won kudos.

I won't comment further on the cost except to say that it's more than I would spend---but did---and I have no regrets and it's the most comfortable bed I've owned since the last cheap futon that was pretty good too (until it died and caused lumpy hurt). ymmvatmoyo.

dbrk

znfdl
05-31-2007, 06:38 AM
Kevan:

My wife and I were just in a market for a new bed. We tried al ot and settled on a select comfort king size bed. A bit pricey, but my wife and I realized that we like a different firmness in a bed. Give one a try. I fell asleep on the select comfort bed while in a noisy mall. Hint, it was that comfortable for me.

old_school
05-31-2007, 06:42 AM
Tempur-pedic

Yea, the are effin expensive, but so worth in my opinion. I have had one for well over 5 years and it is the best thing I have ever found for my back.

FierteTi52
05-31-2007, 06:58 AM
My wife and I couldn't agree on the firmness when we were shopping for a new bed and ended up buying a Comfort Select overpriced air matress. She was consantly complaining about our old matress being too firm, while I was fine on the old one. My sleep number is 55, while hers is 30. The bed was expensive, but we both have back problems and nightime comfort is important. Of course, she did mention the cost of my bicyle fleet to rationalize the purchase of the Comfort Select bed.
Jeff

djg
05-31-2007, 07:26 AM
We have a select comfort air bed--it's not magic, but it's been pretty good and has remained so for nine years.

William
05-31-2007, 07:35 AM
Tempur-pedic

Yea, the are effin expensive, but so worth in my opinion. I have had one for well over 5 years and it is the best thing I have ever found for my back.

Ditto.

We sprung for a new bed a couple of months ago. The old mattress was killing my back if I slept on it more then 5-6 hours. When we went to try out the TP, I thought I wanted it firm for my back, but when I laid on it in the store I didn't like it. Then I tried one of the softer ones and I was amazed at how comfortable it was. Being that I'm a genetic freak from the waist down, My large glutes, quads, and calves would be on top of a firmer mattress and place undue stress on my back if I was sleeping on my side or back. The softer foam allowed my heavier body parts to sink in which straitened out my back. I've been sleeping much better ever since with no pain, even after 8 hours of sleep.
Mrs William thought she wanted a soft mattress, and after the same test session realized she likes the firmer one. So, we bought one that is half & half. Her side firm, my side soft. Been sleeping great ever since.

William

PS: If you have a Bob's Furniture around, their Bob-O-Pedic is made by Tempur-Pedic....and it doesn't cost as much.

musgravecycles
05-31-2007, 07:55 AM
Growing up in Asia I've a soft spot in my heart for hard beds...

Having said that we tried a Tempur-Pedic for a short time (3 weeks). My wife loved it, me not so much, I wasn't really into the sinking so far _into_ the bed feeling. Anyway we were moving across the country and my parents liked the bed so they ended up with it. Much to my wife's chagrin we ended up with a pretty firm Latex bed, I love it, she'd rather have the Tempur-Pedic...

Ozz
05-31-2007, 07:57 AM
wow, there are a lot of "select comfort" folks here....myself included. I have no idea what my number is however. I set it about 7 years ago (maybe longer?) and haven't touched it since. I played with it almost every night for a month we first got the bed.

There are no springs to breakdown over time, so they do last for a long time. The downside however, is that you can't really sit on the edge of the bed cuz it is just foam and there is not really a supportive "edge".

They are a bit pricey, but no more so than some of the really high end mattresses and they last longer.

William
05-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Growing up in Asia I've a soft spot in my heart for hard beds...

Having said that we tried a Tempur-Pedic for a short time (3 weeks). My wife loved it, me not so much, I wasn't really into the sinking so far _into_ the bed feeling. Anyway we were moving across the country and my parents liked the bed so they ended up with it. Much to my wife's chagrin we ended up with a pretty firm Latex bed, I love it, she'd rather have the Tempur-Pedic...

You would probably like the firm ones. My wifes side of the bed feels like a board to me.

William

Birddog
05-31-2007, 08:24 AM
FWIW, a mattress mfg guy told me once that most people like a "firm" mattress. What separates the mind boggling number of choices within that category is the last 1 to 3 inches on the top (sometimes called Pillowtop). Most people end up liking an inch or 2, 3 inches gets into the squishy sinking category. YMMV. Also check to see if there is a local Mfg, most large cities have several small mfg.s that can make a mattress nearly identical to the name brands for a lot less.
Good luck, buying a mattress is right up there with buying a car in the aggravation dept.

Birddog

jhcakilmer
05-31-2007, 08:25 AM
Personally, my wife and I really like the "swedish pocket coil" designs. With a very firm memory foam.

We bought a bed about 5 years ago from Denver Mattress, and we love it. We actually got the "Doctor's Choice" model.....couldn't see spending more, and we really like it. It was relatively cheap ($600), is comfortable for both of us, and has been durable....even with two little boys that use it as a trampolene (sp?).

The tempur-pedic seems like a great mattress, but we definitely weren't going to spend 5 grand on a mattress set.

Too Tall
05-31-2007, 09:09 AM
Kevan:

My wife and I were just in a market for a new bed. We tried al ot and settled on a select comfort king size bed. A bit pricey, but my wife and I realized that we like a different firmness in a bed. Give one a try. I fell asleep on the select comfort bed while in a noisy mall. Hint, it was that comfortable for me.

OT - Dewd, I've seen you fall asleep in a 110 F van sitting up driving over broken pavement...you are not sayin' much...NAPBOY ;)

zap
05-31-2007, 09:19 AM
http://www.duxbed.com/north-america_home.html

thejen12
05-31-2007, 10:58 AM
My husband and I got a European Sleepworks bed about a year and a half ago and we still love it a lot. I don't know if it's available outside of Berkely, CA, though. It's a lot like a dux bed for about 1/3 the price.

Basically, it has two layers - one layer of springs, and one of latex foam. These sit on top of a slat system instead of a box spring. The slats are adjustable for varying firmness in various places - for example you can set it up to be less firm under your shoulders and more firm under your hips, etc. The springs came in two different firmnesses, and the foam came in two different firmnesses, so we had four choices (this was for the model we got, the Alpine, they have other models with even more choices). I don't quite remember what we wound up with, but we could have chosen a different foam firmness for each side of the bed (I think we wound up the same).

At any rate, I think there are other setups like this on the market and available via mail-order even. I think the primary advantage is the slat system, I have my side very customized and have not been so comfortable since I was in a car accident 20 years ago! I was able to set it up to take the pressure off my shoulders while not being too soft for my lower back. I think a search for latex foam mattresses will find you a few sources for a similar setup. (Latex is naturally dust-mite repelling, so a lot of allergy supply companies carry something like this.)

You can read about the one we got at www.sleepworks.com. It's made of all natural materials, etc., etc. They have a model that's all latex foam (no springs), and we liked that, but preferred the mix of foam and springs.

Jenn

Ken Robb
05-31-2007, 11:06 AM
US Mattress has a good site w/lots of info and good prices for many brands of mattresses.

Leslie and I bought a Dormia Memory foam mattress w/adjustable frame(head and foot go up/down, magic fingers, etc.
We aren't sure about it yet. It's great for reading in bed with head and feet raised. The mattress is like a Tempra-Pedic except it adjusts to body shape immediately instead of over a couple of minutes. My complaint is that while it's very comfy when I lie on my back or side it makes it harder to change positions because when I push against the mattress with arm/hand/foot they sink into it pretty deep so more effort is needed than on a normal mattress. This sometimes wakes me up.

For a person who sleeps on his back I think one of these would be terrific.

FWIW, I noticed this week that our COSTCO had memory foam mattresses for sale for about $500 for a queen. They come compressed in a package that would fit in most cars. If it's as easy to return one of these to COSTCO as everything else they sell trying one would be risk-free.

bozman
05-31-2007, 12:14 PM
We bought a bed about 5 years ago from Denver Mattress, and we love it. We actually got the "Doctor's Choice" model.....couldn't see spending more, and we really like it. It was relatively cheap ($600), is comfortable for both of us, and has been durable....even with two little boys that use it as a trampolene (sp?).

+1

http://www.denvermattress.com/doctorschoice_dr_choice_home.htm

My wife and I just got ours in January. We both like a firm mattress so we opted for the Doctor's Choice firm and it is wonderful. I highly recommend.

Dekonick
05-31-2007, 03:40 PM
sleep number = :beer:

I am a 55, my wife 60

eddief
05-31-2007, 04:02 PM
and some say it's the best. but kinda like a bike it's gotta feel good to you. i just bought a six inch all natural latex mattress covered in a simple cotton. put it on top of an existing platform. mine is the softest i.l.d. (measurement of softness scale)

this is not where i got mine, but these guys put out really good vibes and i spoke to them on the phone a few time before i found something similar but slightly used in the neighborhood.

kinda like bike bs, it can be difficult to separate hype from reality, but then both of those can be in the mind of the beholder.

funky website, but i believe these guys for some reason:

http://sleepez.com/
http://sleepez.com/latex-mattresses.htm

davids
05-31-2007, 04:25 PM
My wife & I finally (after 15 years on the old one) got a new mattress a few months ago, and were pleasantly surprised to find; (1) we agreed on the one we thought was best, (2) it was really firm, and (3) it was the cheapest, least gimmicky mattress we found.

We got it at Macy's, and we suspect it was a close-out from Filene's old stock. It may still be available - I think we paid around $850 for a queen-sized mattress and boxspring. The soft, fluffy, weird ones all cost hundreds more.

If this sounds like it might be up your alley, I'd suggest heading to your nearest Macy's!

I hated those mattresses with the sewn-on fluffy top - It felt like it was going to ball up into random-sized lumps within months. *** is up with those?

znfdl
05-31-2007, 05:18 PM
OT - Dewd, I've seen you fall asleep in a 110 F van sitting up driving over broken pavement...you are not sayin' much...NAPBOY ;)

That is because your snoring kept me up all night :banana:

sportschicfla
05-31-2007, 10:43 PM
One thing to keep in mind about the Temperpedic beds is that if you get hot at night you probably won't like it as these mattress retain a lot of heat. I had an expensive Serta for a few years but it started getting the saggy middle. I went with a Kingsdown about a yr ago and love it.

Don't be afraid of spend a few bucks on your mattress. Remember it is the most important piece of furniture you will own. Skip on furniture not on your mattress if you need to save money somewhere. Just think we are supposed to spend 8 hrs a day in bed - just think that is a fifth of your day, more then you spend anywhere else on most days.

Good luck!

Louis
05-31-2007, 10:53 PM
I played with it almost every night for a month we first got the bed.

Umm, Ozz, you didn't have to get that personal ;)

William
06-01-2007, 06:14 AM
....The tempur-pedic seems like a great mattress, but we definitely weren't going to spend 5 grand on a mattress set.

5 G's??? Was it lined with gold? We didn't even pay close to that.

William

Erik.Lazdins
06-01-2007, 07:45 AM
I've been reading this thread hoping to see some garage door pics of mattresses yet don't see any?

Why?

Most spend more time on a mattress each day than their bike.

Mattresses see use in rain, snow, gales, and sun whereas many bikes don't.

Is it too much to ask to see a garage door pic of a mattress?

Thanks!
:beer:
:banana:
:)

William
06-01-2007, 07:53 AM
I've been reading this thread hoping to see some garage door pics of mattresses yet don't see any?

Why?

Most spend more time on a mattress each day than their bike.

Mattresses see use in rain, snow, gales, and sun whereas many bikes don't.

Is it too much to ask to see a garage door pic of a mattress?

Thanks!
:beer:
:banana:

Whay about the side of the garage??

http://paulm.com/pix/2005/01/02/paul_and_mattress.jpg

Does that count?

William ;)

Erik.Lazdins
06-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Whay about the side of the garage??

http://paulm.com/pix/2005/01/02/paul_and_mattress.jpg

Does that count?

William ;)

Nice!

Kevan
06-01-2007, 08:15 AM
I'll Take It!!!!

fhernandez1960
06-01-2007, 08:48 AM
M wife has severe disc degeneration problems and we have gone through 4 mattresses in 5 years. She is very happy with Tempur-pedic deluxe. I like it too. For me it is not back pain but I wake up fresh and rested in the morning.

Francis.

musgravecycles
06-01-2007, 10:28 AM
The tempur-pedic seems like a great mattress, but we definitely weren't going to spend 5 grand on a mattress set.

I guess I should qualify my statement, we were on a knock-off; albeit a good one. I actually prefer the mattress we had to the Tempur-Pedic brand, it was a bit firmer. If memory serves correctly we got the mattress for 1K (after some serious haggling ;) ).

We were given a couple of Tempur-Pedic brand pillows and I wouldn't trade those for anything. Funny thing though, I sleep better with the crazy thing upside down...

Kirk007
06-01-2007, 12:02 PM
We like temper-pedic. Tried a knock-off for a few years to save some bucks but eventually went back. The knock-off was much softer and developed depressions in the foam over 4 years. We gave our original T=pedic to my son. That mattress is now 12 years old and just as nice as the day we bought it.

Greg

BumbleBeeDave
06-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Get Sandy his own bed and yours wouldn't wear out nearly so quickly . . . :eek: ;)

BBD

billrick
06-01-2007, 01:02 PM
If you are in NY and looking for a traditional firm mattress, definitely try out a Shifman at your local Bloomingdales. They are handmade in NJ, since 1890, and they still hand tuft and stitch everything using natural materials (with a little foam). They are amazing.

http://www.shifmanmattresses.com/

My wife and I shopped for nearly a year before we found the Shifmans. It was a real education in an industry of deceit and slick sales. (What other industry gives their products different names at different retailers to prevent you from comparison shopping?) The three S companies (Sealy, Simmons, and Stearns and Foster) are apparently owned by the same company now. If anyone tells you that the single-sided mattress is the greatest invention ever since you don't have to flip anymore, RUN AWAY. It simply allows the manufacturer to build half a mattress, charge the same price, and then sell you another one in 3 years when the first one wears out.

Also, if in NYC, check out the Hastens beds at the ABC Carpet & Home Store.

christian
06-01-2007, 08:00 PM
If it isn't Hästens, you might as well stay awake. This isn't the Giant OCR forum, is it?

tch
06-01-2007, 09:25 PM
sleep number.... I been thinking of getting one. What kind of top you guys got? You got pillowtop? Gel top? How thick? Silk material? Cotton? What series you have? Or you guys just got the bag with no additional padding?
I stopped into a store a while ago and the number of variations on what is essentially a big bag o' air just fried my mind. I couldn't see straight. Recommendations?

saab2000
06-01-2007, 09:52 PM
European beds are the best. My folks have one in Appleton that they got from IKEA and it is awesome. The foam is form fitting and supportive. Real Euro beds/mattresses are uncommon in the US but can be found at IKEA.

I have been on the sleep number beds and need them up at 100 to be comfortable. Some Radisson hotels we go to have them. I am ambivelant about them.

Gotta be firm. And extremely dark and extremely quiet. That's what I need.

Kevan
05-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Hysterical, we're back to mattress shopping, and I thought, gee..my old cycling pals always shared thoughts on major purchases such as this, I wonder what they think? I did a search here to see what people might have said about mattresses, and discovered I had posed this question once before.

My wife and I spent a couple hours in two stores having a stranger stare at us testing beds, and we're leaning, er…laying towards the Tempurpedic.

Any comments? Any changes of opinion you first shared here? Anymore suggestions?

zap
05-21-2015, 04:20 PM
God, this goes way back.

We have a sleep number (king) and a memory foam bed (double) from Costco.

We also have a regular box spring in another bedroom. It is not the preferred bed in our house.

The sleep number needed the addition of a 3" memory foam topper to take the 'hard" edge off. We purchased a topper made by http://fxi.com/index.php

If we did get another king to replace the sleep number, we would get a memory foam from Foamex.

Louis
05-21-2015, 04:27 PM
Caveat emptor: I've heard that some of the "memory foam" mattresses can be a bit hot in summer.

christian
05-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Hästens. What did I answer last time?

Louis
05-21-2015, 04:32 PM
same thing

Ken Robb
05-21-2015, 04:49 PM
We had a mid-level Tempurpedic and found it was too hot. We gave it to some friends who like it fine. While testing mattresses for our boat we erred by only lying on our backs. The mattress we chose was great that way but not supportive enough when we lay on our sides due to our smaller "footprints" concentrating our weight over less area of the mattress. Test the way you really sleep.
Our present mattress came from COSTCO and it is a VERY firm traditional innerspring design. The price included delivery and a money-back guaranty so there was no risk to buying it untested. We like it fine.

gasman
05-21-2015, 05:12 PM
Get what you like in the store and make sure you can return it. We tried a tempurpedic but it was too hard for my wife and too hot for me. It went back and we got some major brand-dont remember but it's comfortable.

Louis
05-21-2015, 05:16 PM
I've been sleeping on a $100 futon for years. Works fine for me.

Rpoole8537
05-21-2015, 06:59 PM
Consumer report states that the lower cost Sleep Number is still a great bed for less money. Has anyone tried that model. Have not heard of Gold Bold but it sounds interesting. I sleep on a very firm (hard) Sealy with a latex 1.5 inch pad. Feels very nice for about five years now. Future remains uncertain.

makoti
05-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Kingsdown. Very comfy for me.

buddybikes
05-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Beautyrest IQ series, has some air baffles in it. Have this with 3" wool mattress topper.

If you find one of these, they are standard product numbers, and then can be found online for a fraction of the price.

deechee
05-21-2015, 08:14 PM
Kingsdown. Very comfy for me.

+1. I bought a 2nd one recently too. I find they hold their firmness well. The ones I've bought were made in Canada (I live in Canada) and their naming is super vague so I'm not sure if you can price shop, but I think they're well worth it.

steelbikerider
05-21-2015, 08:24 PM
We bought the base model in January after ditching a year old premium brand foam mattrress. Couldn't be happier. I'm between 80 and 90 and my wife is a 30. I'm at 200# and start to bottom out at about 35. She's 120.

BobbyJones
05-21-2015, 09:46 PM
I attended a wedding in Boston a few years ago and stayed at the Westin. After day one I was making jokes about how I wanted to steal the mattress. After day two I was seriously thinking about it.

Telling the joke one more time, hoping someone would help me plan the heist, a couple sitting across from me exclaims "We bought one!" They've had it a while and attested to long-term comfort

Westin actually does sells these things. (https://www.westinstore.com/productGroup.aspx?Mattress-Box-Spring) Manufactured by Simmons, but I haven't found one comparable in store.

Once my current setup expires, I'm going for it. It was that good

jlwdm
05-22-2015, 12:30 AM
I really liked the original Westin Heavenly mattress, but unfortunately they have changed it over time and the current mattress is getting terrible reviews. Last I knew they could also be purchased through Nordstrom.

I recently purchased a couple of mattresses through Costco because of their return policy. The reviews for almost every mattress have people saying the mattress is too firm and others saying too soft so it is a tough decision. I tried one mattress and did not like it and took it back and got another one that I do like.

Jeff

likebikes
05-22-2015, 12:40 AM
www.tuftandneedle.com

sashae
05-22-2015, 06:47 AM
Just got a Tuft and Needle to replace a Tempurpedic that'd developed pits, absolutely love it. Feels like floating on top rather than being "hugged" like the Tempurpedic.

Hank Scorpio
05-22-2015, 07:54 AM
We have the Sealy spring free latex. It does sleep a bit warm for me but my wife likes it. No pillow top just a nice down mattress cover. No body imprint and I have had it about 8 years now. I think it was the Rivercrest model at the time.

Aaron O
05-22-2015, 08:14 AM
I didn't read the prior posts, so forgive me if I'm repeating others.

Mattress salesmen make used car salesmen look good in comparison. It's a scam industry that deliberately obfuscates and prevents comparative shopping. The mattress companies sell the same mattresses with minor differences, often no differences, under different names at different stores so that you can't get a sense of what something's MSRP is.

If you think cycling jargon and industry terms are bad, just wait till' you see how many ways they try and confuse on terms describing springs! You'd think they had to have engines in them, or CPUs, with the amount of non-sense adjectives they use.

Be careful with the warranties as well...they are usually essentially worthless and the stores don't honor them easily.

We bought ours at Macys because Macys has a better reputation and honors warranties. We also liked that they aren't part of the sale of the week club and they remove the negotiation part. It's a more forthright, transparent purchase than dealing with a Mattress Giant or the like.

Basically the stuff that matters are the springs in a traditional mattress...how many are there and how thick are they. More springs=better. The pillow top stuff wears out and what gives support are the springs. Remember...you can buy a cheap piece of memory foam, or cushion, instead of a pillow top. Usually you want a firmer mattress than you think you do.

The memory foam mattresses...I know far less about, other than that they retain heat in the summer. I don't like them at all.

Duende
05-22-2015, 08:34 AM
http://mcroskey.com/

Accept no substitute. Been on the same mattress for 15 years now and it still is amazing. It's that good. Got one for my sister and her husband. I think they are going on over ten years now too.

Most things on the market are crap filled chemicals and off gassing materials.

This is an old school American company. Planned obsolescence is not a part of their designs.

You get what you pay for.

OtayBW
05-22-2015, 10:33 AM
^ $6000 for a queen mattress? Ouch!

Likes2ridefar
05-22-2015, 10:39 AM
i sleep on a home made buckwheat mattress that will beat any mattress, any day.

organic, breathes nicely, naturally anti-bacterial..

it's also really comfortable and cost a few hundred dollars for ours since we made a big one that required a lot of buckwheat hulls.

Duende
05-22-2015, 11:06 AM

Yeah, not cheap. But you won't be replacing it every few years! Anything breaks or snaps, they send one of their crew to your house and fix it on the spot.

josephr
05-22-2015, 11:16 AM
+1 on the sleep number bed! we've had our Select Comfort for 12 years and its a solid investment. my sleep number is 70. :)

old fat man
05-22-2015, 11:17 AM
We've had bad luck with mattresses for the last 8 years. I think we are on our 4th. I have bought the last two of them from Costco due to the no-questions-asked return policy. They refund shipping too. I like the policy, although I'd be happier if I could finally find one that didn't require me to return it.

Bostic
05-22-2015, 11:26 AM
We have a Beautyrest Black Alexia Extra Firm mattress, love it. It was not crazy expensive either. I've always preferred very firm mattresses and this one doesn't disappoint.

Living in the Bay Area, I have heard the Sleepworks commercials for years and years on the radio but have never tried one myself. The particle jingle that I've grown to hate is their Oxygen Pillow ad.

While the extended family was on vacation earlier this year I had the chance to sleep on a Dux bed that was in one of the rooms of the vacation home rental. This is another brand that gets some radio airplay, not quite as much as when Pat Summerall used to do their ads. I have no idea what it costs but this bed was flat out amazing. If ever there was a DI2 or Super Record EPS of beds, this was it.

guido
05-22-2015, 11:34 AM
Interesting idea... I've been sleeping with buckwheat pillows for years and like them a lot.
i sleep on a home made buckwheat mattress that will beat any mattress, any day.

organic, breathes nicely, naturally anti-bacterial..

it's also really comfortable and cost a few hundred dollars for ours since we made a big one that required a lot of buckwheat hulls.

Likes2ridefar
05-22-2015, 12:21 PM
Interesting idea... I've been sleeping with buckwheat pillows for years and like them a lot.

I've used a buckwheat pillow for years as well and is what made me less hesitant to order a 150lbs of hulls to make the mattress. it made a queen size mattress about 6" thick.

we bought this kit then stuffed it ourselves. it is every bit as nice as the pillow.

http://openyoureyesbedding.com/collections/frontpage/products/new-twist-modular-pod-size

guido
05-22-2015, 01:04 PM
Very cool! Thanks for the link.

I've used a buckwheat pillow for years as well and is what made me less hesitant to order a 150lbs of hulls to make the mattress. it made a queen size mattress about 6" thick.

we bought this kit then stuffed it ourselves. it is every bit as nice as the pillow.

http://openyoureyesbedding.com/collections/frontpage/products/new-twist-modular-pod-size

alessandro
05-22-2015, 01:46 PM

Yes, but the Tour is won in bed.

Louis
05-22-2015, 01:53 PM

You know, this forum is a funny place.

People buy $500,000 (and up) houses, then complain about spending $6000 for a mattress.

Something on which they will be spend 1/3 of their life and a critical contact point item.

Doesn't make any sense to me.

gasman
05-22-2015, 01:58 PM

People buy $500,000 (and up) houses, then complain about spending $6000 for a mattress.

Something on which they will be spend 1/3 of their life and a critical contact point item.

Yes but you sleep on a futon ---aka a Japanese mattress for visitors you don't want to stay long.;)

azrider
05-22-2015, 02:05 PM

Hmmmm..............never heard of these. BUT.......Just researched and ordered one from Amazon.

Louis
05-22-2015, 02:06 PM
Yes but you sleep on a futon ---aka a Japanese mattress for visitors you don't want to stay long.;)

That's more accurate than you know! The futon I'm currently using is one of two I have for visitors, but after my "real" mattress went bad I lugged one of the futons upstairs and am using that...

Likes2ridefar
05-22-2015, 02:25 PM
Hmmmm..............never heard of these. BUT.......Just researched and ordered one from Amazon.

Perhaps the reviews covered it, but it's good to play with adding and removing hulls to tailor it to your liking.

Also, I took to it immediately but my wife found it hard and was even a little sore, her neck if I recall, but after a week or so she loved it just like I do.

azrider
05-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Perhaps the reviews covered it, but it's good to play with adding and removing hulls to tailor it to your liking.

Also, I took to it immediately but my wife found it hard and was even a little sore, her neck if I recall, but after a week or so she loved it just like I do.

Interesting. Didn't read about adding/removing hulls to my liking.....crap

Yeah i'm sure there is adoption curve. When I switched to my current foam it took while but thought it was bees knees after 'bout a week.

What sold me is the 'keeping cool' part......def comes into play in AZ (especially next few months)

Likes2ridefar
05-22-2015, 02:36 PM
I came from memory foam to the buckwheat, and regarding heat retention it's a night and day difference.

azrider
05-22-2015, 02:49 PM
I came from memory foam to the buckwheat, and regarding heat retention it's a night and day difference.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/00/006fd811b42bb561542996b7ffb15bb36f25449f5f063eacac 886919da848ce6.jpg

OtayBW
05-22-2015, 02:53 PM

Doesn't have to. For my $$, there are too many other great beds. For me, shelling out that kind of dough on a bed that will likely give me only marginal (if any?) improvement over some other good options is money that I can spend on other things that I'd rather have.

OtayBW
05-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Yes, but the Tour is won in bed.
...and I think many lives were ruined 'in bed'... :rolleyes:

Louis
05-22-2015, 03:15 PM
Doesn't have to. For my $$, there are too many other great beds. For me, shelling out that kind of dough on a bed that will likely give me only marginal (if any?) improvement over some other good options is money that I can spend on other things that I'd rather have.

Just to clarify, that was a joke.

I was paraphrasing the folks who regularly use that logic to defend / justify $300 shorts (or whatever).

OtayBW
05-22-2015, 04:20 PM
Just to clarify, that was a joke.

I was paraphrasing the folks who regularly use that logic to defend / justify $300 shorts (or whatever).
Oh - OK. Got it...
(Now don't go knocking $300.00 shorts, alright?) :rolleyes:

Aaron O
05-22-2015, 06:48 PM
For $6,000 I'd hope they list the number and thickness of the coils.

Louis
05-22-2015, 07:59 PM
For $6,000 I'd hope they list the number and thickness of the coils.

Trust the builder.

Give them your height, weight, and how you plan to use it, and they'll do the rest.

dave thompson
05-22-2015, 08:01 PM
trust the builder.

Give them your height, weight, and how you plan to use it, and they'll do the rest.

potd!

old fat man
05-22-2015, 08:39 PM
Trust the builder.

The mattress is not the mattress ATMA

Aaron O
05-23-2015, 03:27 PM
Trust the builder.

:hello:

Took me a second, but well played!