PDA

View Full Version : OT Audi Air Bag/Upholstery Problem

keno
05-31-2007, 05:04 AM
After 142,000 miles, the leather on the driver's side shoulder bolster wore through on my Audi A6 2.7T. I had it repaired with some new leather, and the upholsterer did a terrific job. The only problem is that the "Air Bag" problem indicator light now brightly shines. He claims, and I tend to believe him as having been in his shop the man is neat and detail oriented, that he correctly reconnected all of the wires under the seat and did not impair the air bag unit itself. His knowledge clearly stops somewhere short of air bag electronics.

I am not concerned about that particular air bag operating. I am concerned that my car will not pass NJ inspection, and that the light keeps me awake while driving at night, which is an annoyance.

1. Is there some type of electronic reset that needs to be done when the seat is removed and replaced and all connectors undone and redone?

2. There is a plastic tab on the original upholstery reading "Air Bag", but has no connections behind it. It is riveted to the leather. It does not appear to have any function other than to indicate that an air bag is in that bolster. The tab was not, and likely could not be, tranferred to the new upholstery. I guess if it needs to be there other than for "aesthetic" reasons one can be purchased from Audi.

If any of you car mavens have any knowledge on this arcane subject, please let me know.

Thanks,

keno

Kevin
05-31-2007, 05:14 AM
Keno,

Try this forum. They are pretty knowledgible about the C5 A6.

Kevin

http://www.audiforums.com/forumid_8/p_1/tmode_1/smode_1/tt.htm

keno
05-31-2007, 05:30 AM
I've already joined that forum and posted the problem.

keno

keno
05-31-2007, 06:22 AM
I've already gotten what appears to be the answer. A system reset is required. You're the best. Thanks.

Interestlingly, I've found this forum to be a better source of advice, at least to me, on issues other than bikes and biking.

keno

Jeff Weir
05-31-2007, 07:07 AM
Another Adui Forum....
http://www.audizine.com/forum/index.php

Z3c
05-31-2007, 07:24 AM
Hello,

Yes, it needs to be reset; you might be able to find someone local with a device called a Vagcom that allows access to the car's computers. If so, the owner will probably know how to do an airbag reset as it is pretty common, esp. amongst folks who dabble with their Audi's. Your alternative is that any shop that works on them should be able to do it as well.

Scott
Audi owner/mild fanatic

goonster
05-31-2007, 08:39 AM
Can only add that, yes, the airbag alarm is a "latched" bit that needs to be reset even if the alarm condition has cleared.

I have the VAG-COM software, and could possibly do it, but am unavailable due to being swamped with work and the big brevet.

Also, AFAIK, yes, a vehicle will not pass inspection if the airbag light is on.