PDA

View Full Version : unusual bike spotted today

eddief
05-30-2007, 10:38 PM
this guy zoomed past me today and then i caught him at a light. he was riding an amazing hybrid sort of bike:

Indy Fab ti, s and s coupled. Canti brakes on the back and on the front wound up carbon fork. gorgeous gathering of bike frame and parts.

It looked like a fixie, but the hub in the back was huge so it must have had internal gears and he was shifting it with a bar end twist shifter bolted into the end of his right hand bar drop.

i could not quite grasp what i was looking at, so now i'm trying to understand if it was a useful exercise in bike building on the part of the owner.

J.Greene
05-31-2007, 05:38 AM
Rohloff hub. I think there was a thread about them on mountain bikes in the last few days.

JG

this guy zoomed past me today and then i caught him at a light. he was riding an amazing hybrid sort of bike:

Indy Fab ti, s and s coupled. Canti brakes on the back and on the front wound up carbon fork. gorgeous gathering of bike frame and parts.

It looked like a fixie, but the hub in the back was huge so it must have had internal gears and he was shifting it with a bar end twist shifter bolted into the end of his right hand bar drop.

i could not quite grasp what i was looking at, so now i'm trying to understand if it was a useful exercise in bike building on the part of the owner.

Steelhead
05-31-2007, 06:44 AM
Yep - either a Rolhoff or Shimano Nexus internal hub. IF makes some far out stuff.

eddief
05-31-2007, 10:07 AM
Twist Shifters and Drop Handlebars.
The Nexus 8 hub works only with shifters made for it.
All available Nexus shifters are designed to fit straight handlebars with a 7/8" (22.2 mm diameter.) This includes basically all upright or "mountain bike" type handlebars, but does not include drop bars as used on most touring bikes.

There are several ways to get around this limitation however. Probably the best is the HubBub adaptor mount:

LD103 HubBub Bar End Adpaptor $54.95
This is a very nicely made extension that fits into the end of your drop handlebar. It uses the same mounting hardware as Shiman bar-end shifters. The position is quite convenient. If you wish, you can cut the bar itself shorter on this side.