PDA

View Full Version : Ritchey Logic road thoughts

d_douglas
05-30-2007, 12:50 PM
I have the chance to buy a 1990 Ritchey road frame (Tange Prestige tubing) with carbon fork (sadly, no original steel fork) for a good price. The frame was a Dupont team frame with a HORRIFIC neon splatter paint job, but the frame itself has always been a favourite of the MTB crossover companies.

As this is located in the US and I am here in Switzerland, does anyone have any ideas about things to look out for on these frames? I think it is well used, but the guy said it was not dented or cracked. $200 + a good paintjob could bring this baby back to life and I have a Mavic groupo that might sit nicely on it!!

Thoughts? Concerns? Were there any problems with these frames back in the day?

thanks!

Serotta PETE
05-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Sounds like it is quite "used". A piant job will run you 300-500 at a minimum. Unless you are really "lusting" for the Ritchey, I would pass. A "race' bike without any dings etc/????

It is not a subject of the price, I see it as just metal, old, very used, and then ask why?

Just my 2 cents...... I am not a stranger to LUST (just look in my basement)and that is what this purchase would be in my feeble view.

Sorry.

Serotta PETE
05-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Lust is part of all of us.....

http://www.youngwheels.com/classic_bike.html#Manard

thwart
05-30-2007, 03:13 PM
I've got a slightly newer Road Logic (Tange Prestige) with a Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork. Great bike. Weighs just under 20 lbs built with a Campy Centaur triple group. Smooth classic steel ride... although not as stiff in the BB as this one: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=29255

If you can find an intact rust-free one for $200 you've got a deal. :)

mike p
05-30-2007, 04:09 PM
I've got no experience myself but have heard from many people that the road logic is a very sweet riding frame. As thwart said not super stiff but fine. A paint job can be as expensive as you want, so ck into it before buying. Plus ad on price of a fork, may not be a great deal?

Mike

weisan
05-30-2007, 05:17 PM
I too just got a road logic a couple of weeks ago. Rode it several times since then, on extended rides. Bad thoughts start to happen: "Hmm...do I really need the other bikes I have? maybe I can sell the Legend Ti and the LOOK."

That couldn't be a good thing. :rolleyes:

Big Dan
05-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Powdercoat that baby and let it rip.....

Peter P.
05-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Buy it. Restore it. Get the fork painted to match, and don't forget decals. His frames were known to be just a tad steeper in head angle than is common ( I think 1/2 degree), at least in the smaller sizes. Otherwise they were well thought out bikes. I believe the main triangles and rear stay assemblies were built overseas but assembled into complete frames in the U.S. Must have to do with import duties/tariffs. Tom himself supposedly did the final alignment and finish work. Too bad this frame is not offered any longer.

Orin
05-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Buy it. Restore it. Get the fork painted to match, and don't forget decals. His frames were known to be just a tad steeper in head angle than is common ( I think 1/2 degree), at least in the smaller sizes. Otherwise they were well thought out bikes. I believe the main triangles and rear stay assemblies were built overseas but assembled into complete frames in the U.S. Must have to do with import duties/tariffs. Tom himself supposedly did the final alignment and finish work. Too bad this frame is not offered any longer.

So how does it compare to the Breakaway (which is also about half a degree steeper than most)?

Orin.

d_douglas
05-31-2007, 03:25 PM
Well, I came to my senses and passed..............

the bike along to my Ritchey-obsessed buddy! Yes, this way, I let him do the work and then I take it out on a joyride some day in the future!

Seems logical to me...

I realized that it was more a case of want than need. I own an old Cinelli that has many of the same qualities, but without the cool MTB name. It wasn't worth it to me.

Thanks for your replies, all.

Peter P.
05-31-2007, 07:01 PM
So how does it compare to the Breakaway (which is also about half a degree steeper than most)?

Orin.

The only difference is the Breakaway feature. I see no reason to change the geometry of the frame to accommodate the Breakaway feature, so I wouldn't be surprised if the two frame styles had the same dimensions.

The Ritchey steel frames that I've seen have slightly oversized top and down tubes vs. the old, 1" standard. They also had a steel, unicrown fork and that sleek, allen key fastback stay attachment.

Orin
05-31-2007, 08:08 PM
The only difference is the Breakaway feature. I see no reason to change the geometry of the frame to accommodate the Breakaway feature, so I wouldn't be surprised if the two frame styles had the same dimensions.

The Ritchey steel frames that I've seen have slightly oversized top and down tubes vs. the old, 1" standard. They also had a steel, unicrown fork and that sleek, allen key fastback stay attachment.

I'll have to measure my Breakaway's tubes.

I was wondering if the Ritchey Road steel frame effectively lives on as the Breakaway, although coming with a carbon fork now.

Orin.

rounder
05-31-2007, 09:09 PM
Lust is part of all of us.....

http://www.youngwheels.com/classic_bike.html#Manard

That was a good story..i liked the pressed on regardless part. Anyway, I remember reading a Maynard bit where he was talking about writing copy for a Serotta catalog (i think they gave him a new bike) and he was describing a ride with Ben. It was something like...hey it was fast for us. Maynard was good. Wish he was still writing at the back for Velonews.