PDA

View Full Version : steel bikes

mark
06-14-2004, 06:50 PM
I have an Hor's and a Serotta steel frame with couplers for travel. The steel frame is quicker, more fun to steer and a much more solid ride. (I am 6'2" and 185 and my custom frame is based on a 64)) The Hor's has no vigor.
Am I nuts? Generally I like all the new hot stuff. Why did steel get so uncool? The pounding is an issue... Can we get the CSI with the ST rear? Is there another bike in the family that rides as well as the CSI?

PanTerra
06-14-2004, 09:54 PM
I have an Hor's and a Serotta steel frame with couplers for travel. The steel frame is quicker, more fun to steer and a much more solid ride. (I am 6'2" and 185 and my custom frame is based on a 64)) The Hor's has no vigor.
Am I nuts? Generally I like all the new hot stuff. Why did steel get so uncool? The pounding is an issue... Can we get the CSI with the ST rear? Is there another bike in the family that rides as well as the CSI?

Yes, it is the Colorado III. However, if you get the Colorado III with a CS rear, it becomes the Coeur d'Acier. So...if you want a CSi with an ST rear, it won't have any lugs, you would have to settle for a CS as opposed to ST, and it would have a Coeur d'Acier decal, instead of CSi. ;)

-Steve

va rider
06-14-2004, 09:57 PM
FWIW, I have a CIII and love it!

I just wish my bum knee would let me ride it, rather than just stare and lust...

Serotta PETE
06-15-2004, 07:41 AM
Just picked up a Legend with ST rear and I like it very well - better than my CR Steel.

I did not like the DKS feel in the rear end (although Smiley takes his everywhere and LOVES it.) It is personal and that is what makes lide exciting.

When the demo fleet is in your area you should try Legend/ST or CIII and see if it suites you. I have had the opportunity to ride many bikes over the years and I can tell you (for me) there has been nothing better that Legend or legend ST.

PETE

davids
06-15-2004, 09:05 AM
Mark,

Steel is cool!

weisan
06-15-2004, 09:53 AM
We have heard so many different views from so many different people riding on so many different bikes made up of so many different materials, it's hard to come up with a consensus.

I say we should impose the mandatory "blindfold & ride" rule on all new bike purchases. What do I mean by that??? Anyone who is thinking of getting a bike when they walk into a store should be blindfolded and then ask to ride on average about 5 to 8 different bikes made of different materials with a wide spectrum of price points and components setup. Whichever they felt is "nice" and "I like it a lot", they had to walk out the store with that bike. Now, if that's a huffy 3-speed that weighs 40 pounds and has crappy wheels on it, SO BE IT! NO RETURNS ACCEPTED, NO COMPLAINTS ENTERTAINED, JUST GET OUT AND RIDE!!!

If it turns out to be a 24K gold-plated Ottrott ST with diamond studded around the headtube, lucky YOU, sad for your wallet.

:rolleyes:

weisan

Sandy
06-15-2004, 10:01 AM
One has to realize that how a bike rides is certainly subjective and differs greatly from one individual to another. Kelly Bedford and others at Serotta could tell you which bikes should ride very closely to the CSi.

I would certainly think that one could say that an Ottrott or Ottrott ST or a Legend Ti or a Legend ST rides as well as a CSi. I actually like my Ottrott ST better than my CSi, and I loved my CSi. The Ottrott does fit better than the CSi. There would be some that would argue that none of the above bikes ride as well as the CSi. The CSi is all steel, whereas the above 4 have titanium or titanium and carbon.

But the above is moot anyway, since as previously given by others, the CIII should ride just like a CSi, since the tubing is identical. I thought, based upon what others had told me, that the top tubes of the CSi and the CIII were different, but at the Serotta weekend, I found out that is not the case. The only difference, as I understand it, is that the diameter of the seat tubes of the 2 bikes differ at the top of the seat tube, in order to accomodate the lugs on the CSi. I would say that the CSi and the CIII ride identically.

If I had never bought a CSi and then the Ottrott ST, and I was first looking to buy a Serotta, the choice would be simple. I would buy a CIII, and the money saved, compared to a CSi, I would apply to wheels or components. With the money saved, compared to an Ottrott ST, I would apply to a nuclear attack submarine, or a Porsche Turbo, or a 32 bedroom house, or a fine original oil painting, or......

THe short answer to your question is a CIII. But that has already been said by PanTerra and va rider.

Sandy

Sandy
06-15-2004, 10:05 AM
How is your knee doing? I was sad to hear that you were having trouble with it, especially knowing how much you were looking forward to riding your beautiful new CIII.

When you are feeling better, a few of us will go to Va. and ride some of Skyline Drive with you, if you would like. I normally average about 22 mph up those hills..........

Liar Sandy

Serotta PETE
06-15-2004, 02:51 PM
I will come and ride an average of two miles/hr up the hill. Yeah I bet you did not know a bike could go that slow...Pete

OldDog
06-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Can I drive SAG?

M_A_Martin
06-15-2004, 04:25 PM
"The pounding is an issue... Can we get the CSI with the ST rear?"

Every thing I read and have observed about Serotta stresses that Serotta can tune their custom bikes for the rider. Have you asked Serotta if they could build you a regular CSi that had reduced pounding without the cf rear?