PDA

View Full Version : Zwift on Apple TV: "I'm just not that into you"

C40_guy
03-06-2023, 11:33 AM
Been using my Tacx Neo and my Garmin Footpod on Zwift (on my Apple TV) for a while with no issues.

Then yesterday I went to go for a run on the treadmill and Zwift wouldn't recognize the Garmin Footpod. So...I hopped on the Tacx Neo and got no love there either.

Has anyone else had a recent issue with Zwift on Apple TV not recognizing smart trainers or anything else? I did an Apple TV update yesterday (after Zwift didn't see my devices) but that didn't change anything...

Thanks!

simpsonn
03-06-2023, 11:46 AM
I rode earlier today on Apple TV with a Wahoo Kickr and Garmin HR monitor. Both connected via bluetooth at startup on Zwift with no issues. Maybe try doing a restart (located within the ATV settings, then system) and see if that might solve the issue.

old fat man
03-06-2023, 11:47 AM
I last zwifted with my Apple TV on Thursday without issue. Haven’t touched trainer, Zwift or Apple TV since then but will try tonight

mstateglfr
03-06-2023, 11:49 AM
Thats really frustrating.
My old setup was to connect a dongle and run Zwift thru a laptop which projected to a TV and it was infuriating. Every ride was an unknown as to if I would even get to workout due to connection issues at the many points I had created. Probably 30% of the time I just gave up after missing the race or ride start.

AppleTV has been incredible for the last 3 years. Its connected when I turn the TV on and the connection has never dropped. Its totally removed what was a large barrier to use.

Hope the connection comes back soon for you!

C40_guy
03-06-2023, 12:22 PM
Maybe try doing a restart (located within the ATV settings, then system) and see if that might solve the issue.

Thanks for the confirmation that it might just be me. :)

I did do a restart after updating the firmware. I'll check again today; maybe it was a phase of the moon type issue.

(and I'm usually pretty good with technical issues...)

unterhausen
03-06-2023, 12:25 PM
I assume it's bluetooth, which would mean that forgetting about the devices on the apple tv is on order. And resetting the other devices

kppolich
03-06-2023, 12:29 PM
Double check your devices aren't paired to a phone or other computer. Sometimes I run into issues if they are already paired elsewhere.

cash05458
03-06-2023, 02:22 PM
I did a zwift ride via apple tv setup and kicker about an hour ago...worked just fine as usual mostly...once in a bit a glitch but not much...seems fine today tho.

C40_guy
03-06-2023, 03:02 PM
I assume it's bluetooth, which would mean that forgetting about the devices on the apple tv is on order. And resetting the other devices

Yes, I think I need to dig into this a bit. I did some playing with the bluetooth settings on the ATV, will do some more...

Alistair
03-06-2023, 03:05 PM
Were you pairing directly to the ATV? IIRC, it has limited BT channels, so can only connect to 2(?) devices at a time (3 including the remote). Maybe you were pairing with the Companion app on your phone/tablet?

C40_guy
03-06-2023, 03:27 PM
Were you pairing directly to the ATV? IIRC, it has limited BT channels, so can only connect to 2(?) devices at a time (3 including the remote). Maybe you were pairing with the Companion app on your phone/tablet?

Weird...it *had* been working with:

Tacx Neo 2t
Garmin footpod
Garmin 2 mode heart strap
Apple TV remote

I have not been using the Companion app. I was using the little CABLE bridge device a while ago and I don't remember if that's still doing anything. Its battery is dead...

(obviously, the Neo 2t shouldn't care about the CABLE device...)

C40_guy
03-07-2023, 01:33 PM
I was using the little CABLE bridge device a while ago and I don't remember if that's still doing anything. Its battery is dead...

(obviously, the Neo 2t shouldn't care about the CABLE device...)

Garmin Footpod is an ant+ device, so I need to get the CABLE bridge working again.

Grrr... Cable app sees Cable bluetooth device. Tacx app sees trainer bluetooth device. Apple TV does not see either. It does see the BT remote control and my headphones, but not the other devices. I have "allow BT connections while zwifting" to on. No joy, either in the system config or in Zwift.

C40_guy
03-07-2023, 03:08 PM
Grr.

Swapped Apple TVs between gym and den.

All is good now. Weird.

...not sure what was/is wrong with the gym Apple TV, why it would not support the BT connection while in Zwift...but it's working fine as a den source.

N+1 for the win.

Spaghetti Legs
03-07-2023, 04:44 PM
A few weeks ago mine was wonky but I think I just restarted the Apple TV to correct. I also once , clicked the “pair companion” at the top of the start screen and that really seemed to throw the system for a loop. I use the companion app on my iPad while riding but it automatically syncs up within a few seconds so I’m not gonna click on that “pair” button any more …

Kickr Snap, Zwift app Apple TV, companion app on iPad, so less complex than your setup.