PDA

View Full Version : Tour de 'Toga Ride Routes

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2007, 10:38 AM
I finally got all the rides planned and mapped, so here are some maps to give you an idea of where we will be going and hopefully attract more riders!

BBDave

David Kirk
05-29-2007, 10:48 AM
we got noth'in here.

Dave

William
05-29-2007, 10:51 AM
we got noth'in here.

Dave

http://www.lunenburg.org/webpics/yukon.jpg

;) :D

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2007, 11:02 AM
We'll start out with an easy loop around Saratoga Lake, heading out of twon past the Saratoga Race Course, then looping around the lake before passing through Spa Park. We'll pass the Gideon Putnam Hotel, one of the famous springs, the Automobile Museum, and socialite Marylou Whitney's mansion at Cady Hill before passing right in front of . . . wait for it . . . THE SEROTTA MOTHER SHIP! Special stop and regroup to genuflect . . .

Sandy
05-29-2007, 11:02 AM
I finally got all the rides planned and mapped, so here are some maps to give you an idea of where we will be going and hopefully attract more riders!

BBDave
Wow! The routes look easy. Even I can complete those, in record time, I
must add. :)

Oops. I spoke a second too fast. I now see a map.

Sandy

Sandy

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Two main rides today . . . actually 3 since I also put together a bypass for the long ride so people don't have to do the big climb unless they want to.

Here's the shorter ride first . . . a 36 mile loop to the southwest of Saratoga, with very little climbing and passing mostly through calm, rural countryside before returning to town.

And yes, Sandy . . . this one you really COULD easily do!

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2007, 11:11 AM
This is one of two "Queen Stages" to this year's Tour de 'Toga. This 60 mile route includes a challenging climb over West Mountain Road, with a screaming descent right down to the shore of Great Sacandagea Lake, where we will turn back northeast and glide along the lakeshore and downstream next to the Sacandaga River before turning back toward Saraoga.

Sandy, you might want to skip this one unless you are planning to do it in your new car--or borrow Pete's. :eek:

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2007, 11:18 AM
This is the "West Mountain Bypass" . . . the same route as West Mountain, but without the climb, for a total length of 48 miles. but it still goes along the banks of the Hudson.

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2007, 11:24 AM
This is the "Saratoga Grand Loop" which does a, well, a grand loop around Saratoga! distance is 64 miles, but while there are some rollers, there are no big climbs like West Mountain.

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2007, 11:29 AM
The Battlefield Loop presents an alternative to the Grand Loop and takes riders across scenic countryside to the Saratoga Battlefield Historic Park, where a visitor center presents exhibits describing the pivotal battle of the American Revolution and a one way loop road leads to the various actual sites of important points in the battle.

The total ride including the battlefield loop is 38 miles. Subtract 9 from that if you don't want to go through the park.

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2007, 11:33 AM
The final ride of the weekend heads north through countryside that's part rural and part becoming housing. We turn west toward the dreaded spier Falls climb--but then turn south to instead cruise past Moreau Lake State Park and back to Saratoga. 31 Miles.

While the order of the rides may change, I expect we will be doing these. I will have full maps and cue sheets printed at the Springs Motel for everyone's convenience.

BBDave

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Don't get your chamois' all in a twist! I can only upload stuff so fast! . . .

BBD

Serotta PETE
05-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Dave, the rides look great. Thanksll See you next week. PETE

Hardlyrob
05-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Very cool BBD - what did you use to generate the maps?

Cheers!

Rob

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2007, 11:55 AM
. . . www.routeslip.com

It has lots of technical issues and is sometimes unreliable, but overall is a great tool.

BBD

CNY rider
05-29-2007, 11:59 AM
The Friday rides are going to be in the afternoon, after the factory tour?

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Smiley and Pete would know. I don't even remember where they posted the schedule . . .

BBD

Karin Kirk
05-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Nice work BBD - looking at those maps brings back great memories of fabulous roads. You guys are going to have a super time!

Smiley
05-29-2007, 06:14 PM
The Friday rides are going to be in the afternoon, after the factory tour?
Yes , The factory guys work half days on Friday so we will tour the plant in two shifts , one at 11 and one at noon so we don't have too many folks bothering the factory staff. And I plan to do the factory tour and then the 48 miler with Pete :)

Smiley
05-29-2007, 06:27 PM
BTW , EXCELLENT Work BBDave official road captain for Giro Del Toga :banana:

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2007, 10:05 PM
. . ."Official Road Captain" then does that mean I can wear my full zebra suit and no one will make fun of me?

Or is that just a little too much to ask? . . . :crap:

BBD

CNY rider
05-30-2007, 07:01 AM
. . ."Official Road Captain" then does that mean I can wear my full zebra suit and no one will make fun of me?

Or is that just a little too much to ask? . . . :crap:

BBD

Bee Man I rode behind you in the pouring rain at Douglas' place; it was a very shall we say revealing experience.....let's just say I'm praying for sun in Saratoga! :banana:

Serotta PETE
05-30-2007, 10:06 AM
and no flats for the "bee" man/ :D

Bee Man I rode behind you in the pouring rain at Douglas' place; it was a very shall we say revealing experience.....let's just say I'm praying for sun in Saratoga! :banana:

Len J
05-30-2007, 11:49 AM
and no flats for the "bee" man/ :D

thanks for the work.

Did you mark the routes? :beer:

you could use bananas with arrows.

Len

BumbleBeeDave
05-30-2007, 12:03 PM
I discussed this with Smiley and I decided to try to have very complete cue sheets, but not physically mark the routes. I just don't have the time to go up and mark every one. From my experience with the MS ride, I estimate it would take at least two whole 8-10 hour days of driving and painting to do it. There is supposed to be a Serotta employee familiar with the area on each ride and I obviously will also be along, so I'm going with that. we will also have a list of emergency numbers on the cue sheets.

BBD

Len J
05-30-2007, 12:19 PM
I discussed this with Smiley and I decided to try to have very complete cue sheets, but not physically mark the routes. I just don't have the time to go up and mark every one. From my experience with the MS ride, I estimate it would take at least two whole 8-10 hour days of driving and painting to do it. There is supposed to be a Serotta employee familiar with the area on each ride and I obviously will also be along, so I'm going with that. we will also have a list of emergency numbers on the cue sheets.

BBD

Dave:

I was kidding.....

you've done a great job with the routes.......

Besides, who want to find zebra stripe markings? :banana:

Thanks

Len

Serotta PETE
05-30-2007, 01:18 PM
at the speed I ride, all routes that a group is on - - - have banana markings :banana:

thanks for the work.

Did you mark the routes? :beer:

you could use bananas with arrows.

Len