PDA

View Full Version : Florence?

PK9
05-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Can anybody recommend any good rides or shops in or around Florence?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks, Paul

JohnS
05-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Italy or Kentucky? :D

michael white
05-28-2007, 09:36 PM
My favorite shop in Florence was Cicli Conti. I bought a Colnago frame there, and have never been so pleased with service. There was a "showroom" across the street from the more general shop; the showroom was run by the lovely Christina Conti.

there are rides mostly going south or north. Various maps available from outfits like Florence by Bike, which is close to the train station. Great riding.

PK9
05-28-2007, 09:41 PM
> Italy or Kentucky?

That'd be Italy.
Not Kentucky (or Henderson) ;)

Hardlyrob
05-29-2007, 08:48 AM
I second Florence by Bike - we rented nice Bianchi road triple bikes and rode north up and up and up and then down after a nice lunch. They have good maps and routes, speak English very well, and were walking distance from our hotel. Bring your pedals and shoes, and they will put them on the bike as part of the setup.

Anywhere you go around Florence will be a LOT of climbing - beautiful scenery, but you pay for it. I will say it is important to plan your route in and out of Florence - the traffic is a little nuts, but the drivers seemed to understand about bikes onthe road. It can also be confusing getting into and out of the neighborhood where the shop is.

Ciao!

Rob

michael white
05-29-2007, 02:35 PM
rob,

when you went north, did you go up to the convent on top of the peak? I don't remember the name of that. Maybe Santa Maria something. Well beyond Fiesole. I did that twice; what a great ride!!!

And honestly, Paul, if you want a real old world shop, go to Conti. I went to every shop around for a solid month. If you're anything like me, Conti is the one you want.

best,
mw

Hardlyrob
05-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Michael;

We went towards the convent coming out of Fiesole - but didn't make it all the way there. My wife was not expecting all the climbing, and was not in her best riding form so we turned around about 10KM past Fiesole, came down and went further east before working our way back into Florence. We had a fabulous Italian image on the long climb into Fiesole - an older gent on a DeRosa Primato just spinning up the hill, and I had the feeling he does it every day.

We really only had one day where renting bikes made sense, but when (not if) we go back, we'll do more.

Ciao!

Rob

Hardlyrob
05-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Michael;

I just looked at a map, and we went well past Santa Margharita De Stella - it was on the left as you headed out of Fiesole and got into the rolling hills with the olive orchards and some fruit orchards. Spectacular view from up on top of the hills - then you look up and it keeps going up!

Rob

PK9
05-29-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I'll try to check out both Conti and Florence by Bike -- Conti sounds very promising.

Also, the route past Fiesole sounds very cool too.

Samster
05-30-2007, 08:14 PM
must visit the Hermes boutique in Firenze. the ceilings are spectacular. no way that shop makes money... just a showpiece.

a fun ride is to bike up to the Piazzale Michelangelo where a lot of artists and fake-stuff dealers hang out. the view of the city is absolutely beautiful. what i remember most are the storms rolling in from Tuscany.

shanerpvt
05-30-2007, 08:31 PM
The country roads heading south into Chanti Classico are awsome. Vinyards and Olive Orchards. I didn't ride when I went, but there were bikes all over the road. If/When I get back, I'll have to ride from Florence to Siena. I love Siena.