PDA

View Full Version : How was your 3-day weekend?

RABikes2
05-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Saturday 102.0 miles
Sunday 101.0 miles
Monday 40.0 miles

A (thank God) peaceful 243.0 miles, Memorial Day afternoon, bacon, eggs, toast, a fresh, fruit frozen smoothie, dark chocolate covered expresso beans, raw almonds, and a really nice afternoon snooze. Wow, think I'll go do some gardening. :D
RA
Happy Memorial Day.

Smiley
05-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Your SICK RA , I could only muster up half the miles you put in. BTW any chance of coming to Giro Del Toga ! BBDave needs a roomie !

J.Greene
05-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Criterium saturday morning in Tallahassee, followed by a tt in the afternoon. Ouch that hurt!!! Was going to do the RR Sunday but all three of my kids got a stomach bug and we were forced to head home. I'm about to head out for 40 miles this evening.

JG

Len J
05-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Your SICK RA , I could only muster up half the miles you put in. BTW any chance of coming to Giro Del Toga ! BBDave needs a roomie !

Friday - 50 Hard
Sat - 50 Hard
Sunday - 75 Med Hard
Monday - 30 easy

Nap this PM fer shur.

Len

Kevan
05-28-2007, 04:18 PM
3 weeks off the bike during my business travel and nothing but sightseeing walks to hold an edge. Flew home Saturday so that day was totally shot, getting home at 6pm (12pm internally). Love that jet lag.

Sunday, I decided to take it easy and just knocked off a quick 12 miles, just to get the legs turning. I felt strong, but I knew I had no endurance. Today, I knocked off about 40 miles and was royally socked, though happy with the results. I guess too the little hammerfest I had with 2 cyclists on my way home didn't do much to keep me fresh. I hate these working from scratch situations, compounded by the fact that come the 8th, I've got to be ready for three days of long distance riding. I figure a couple commutes to work and a couple club rides with my pals next weekend'll turn me around.

And I had a nice nap too!

davep
05-28-2007, 04:37 PM
No riding Saturday since my wife is training for a marathon and we have to share weekend workout times, but I did row for 30 minutes, cleaned my chain and looked for a mystreious creak. 70 miles Sunday, 30 today. Both days very windy, hard but good rides.

RA, will I be seeing you on the 1000k?

RABikes2
05-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Criterium saturday morning in Tallahassee, followed by a tt in the afternoon. JG
Hope you had a nice time here JG with the races. Did you stop at any of the bike shops in Tallahassee? I do the apparel for Sunshine Cycles.

Smiley! I'd love to come to the GdT, but it doesn't look like it will happen this year. I'm suppose to ride a 1000k that weekend; I've never done one of them before. Yes, Dave, not only will you be seeing me, but I was hoping you wouldn't mind a bungie cord between us and maybe you could pull me a few hundred miles of that 1000k! ;) Let's just hope this ride isn't as eventful as the 600k in 2005 was! ;)

Riding, eating, playing, and drinking red w/ Pete, Spokes, Sandy, and the rest of you kids sounds more entertaining than my ride though. Hmmm...do I have my priorities straight? Will there be single men there? Hmmm... :confused: :D

RA

myette10
05-28-2007, 05:09 PM
My legs are cooked: wicked sore. Double century sore, but... no riding. Here's a look back...

Fri: remove final 2 yards of earth (got a head start last Wednesday)
Sat: spread & compact 4 yards of crushed stone, screed 1 yrd of brick sand
Sun: Lay 120 sq ft of pavers
Mon: Lay next 80 sq ft pavers, run out of the large blocks so switch gears and get most of the cuts done.

29 hours of work so far and I'm 17 stupid blocks short, but I've got tomorrow off so I'll get it done. The new front walkway looks incredible... way better than the grass that was there before. It has been time consuming, but pretty easy & lots of fun.

Elefantino
05-28-2007, 05:33 PM
RA is the kind of rider who does TOSRV as a cool-down!

This weekend:
Sat: 40 medium
Sun: 50 easy
Today: 51 hard. Rode in a big group with two national champs for the first 15 miles, then they dropped the hammer and I dropped the anchor. Waited for the second group, things were going along swimmingly until, after I pulled and dropped to the back, I dropped a water bottle. Had to go fish it (it's a Polar; I don't like to lose those) and then had to do a 7-mile time trial to catch back up, heart monitor beeping all the way. The swimming pool felt good this afternoon.

Hope everyone had a happy and safe Memorial Day.

J.Greene
05-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Hope you had a nice time here JG with the races. Did you stop at any of the bike shops in Tallahassee? I do the apparel for Sunshine Cycles.
RA

Tallahassee is an awesome city. We had a great time. The races were very well run. It was my favorite race weekend so far this year. The crit course by the magnetic lab was awesome.

We didn't hit the bike shops. It's enough to ask my wife and kids to follow me to the races, no way I could ask them to go to bike shops too :)

Really enjoyed Decent Pizza, the girl behind the counter made my day, and the Pizza was awesome too!

Only down side was the smoke Friday and Saturday evenings. The TT really hurt with the smoke in the air.

JG

coylifut
05-28-2007, 06:23 PM
My legs are cooked: wicked sore. Double century sore, but... no riding. Here's a look back...

Fri: remove final 2 yards of earth (got a head start last Wednesday)
Sat: spread & compact 4 yards of crushed stone, screed 1 yrd of brick sand
Sun: Lay 120 sq ft of pavers
Mon: Lay next 80 sq ft pavers, run out of the large blocks so switch gears and get most of the cuts done.

29 hours of work so far and I'm 17 stupid blocks short, but I've got tomorrow off so I'll get it done. The new front walkway looks incredible... way better than the grass that was there before. It has been time consuming, but pretty easy & lots of fun.

I once hired a contracter to do a similar project and when I got home from a 100+ ride the spouse informed me that he didn't show. So, having all the material I started in on it myself. Ended up taking off the first few days of the week to finish it. About that Thursday something started growing in the back of my throat that was never identified and took 5 weeks and two cycles of anti biotics to kill.

As for me. Did about 2 hours both Friday and Saturday in anticipation of a really hilly RR on Sunday. Got to the race late and found people milling around and things felt strange. Me and my pal hit the registration desk and right after we paid, they informed us that they were cancelling the afternoon races (1/2 and Masters). There was a mega crash a few k from the line on a down hill run to the finish in one of the earlier races. A total of 20 guys went down. The race promotor (who's a good friend and training partner), said one guy "wasn't expected to make it." It instantly put me right back to a place I was 2 years ago when Christoph and I were the first on the scene of a downed rider who was killed instantly after striking a pole on a closed circuit. I wanted out of there and as I was heading towards the door, I was intercepted and taken to the gym where the offcials were making the official announcement and giving us the option of donating our race fees to the guy's family.

Of course everyone agreed to do so. We later found out that although the young man isn't dead, his injuries are very serious and he's currently in ICU. This sport can tear your heart out.

Today I took my wife and 9 year old daughter and we rode the bike path with some friends and had lunch.

Chief
05-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Rain, rain go away,
come back another day.

Been raining here since Wednesday. Finally cleared out today so that I could get a ride in, but it was a shortened one because the Cibilo Creek was overflowing and there was no way to get around it; therefore, only 30 miles. :crap:

Sandy
05-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Friday-
1.Wife and brother-in-law left for Newark, NJ, as start of trip to Israel to bury her mother.
2.Twin brother had major vascular surgery at Yale University Hospital. Very successful.
3.11 easy miles

Saturday-
1. Wife and brother-in-law left very late at night from Newark, NJ to fly to Israel.
2. Zero miles

Sunday-
1. My mother-in-law was buried.
2. 24 easy miles

Sandy

Chief
05-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Friday-
1.Wife and brother-in-law left for Newark, NJ, as start to trip to Israel to bury her mother.
2.Twin brother had major vascular surgery at Yale University Hospital. Very successful.
3.11 easy miles

Saturday-
1. Wife and brother-in-law left very late at night from Newark, NJ to fly to Israel.
2. Zero miles

Sunday-
1. My mother-in-law was buried.
2. 24 easy mlies

Sandy

Sandy,

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law and I glad that your brother came through OK. I am really glad to learn that you are putting miles on the bike. Keep up the good work!

Bart001
05-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Hey one has to start somewhere :)

Sat. 10 miles
Sun. 24 miles
Mon. 17 miles

I'm really happy I got on the bike 3 days in a row, and that everything is running really smoothly!

I had posted about my trials and tribulations getting the Record triple to run on my Legend Ti frame, but my LBS did a fantastic job with it, via installation of a 2.8mm spacer ring. It seems to be doin' OK on a ~45mm chainline.

Jack Brunk
05-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Hey one has to start somewhere :)

Sat. 10 miles
Sun. 24 miles
Mon. 17 miles

I'm really happy I got on the bike 3 days in a row, and that everything is running really smoothly!

I had posted about my trials and tribulations getting the Record triple to run on my Legend Ti frame, but my LBS did a fantastic job with it, via installation of a 2.8mm spacer ring. It seems to be doin' OK on a ~45mm chainline.

Bart, your the man! way to go!

Peter P.
05-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Saturday-2 friends and I rode the 100km D2R2 course as a shakedown ride.

I rode it officially 2 years ago, and rode the 100+ miler officially last year. We're preparing for this year's 100 miler, testing out equipment to iron out the kinks.

Well, last year I discovered my seat ain't cuttin' it after 3 hours or so. I wanted to test a new saddle. I discovered a frayed rear derailleur cable. I learned my shoes are shot causing pain under my right foot's metarsal area. My buddy found out the hose on his new Camelbak needs to be punctured to work! After he punctures it, he discovers it leaks near the bite valve, possibly because of how he punctured the hose! He also learned his map holder couldn't survive a second edition of D2R2. He too, was testing a new saddle, which passed with flying colors.

All this was useful in preparing for a problem free event in August.

For those of you who don't know what D2R2 is:
http://newhorizonsbikes.com/page.cfm?PageID=347

slinkywizard
05-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Sunday: 65 miles + purchased my first Serotta!

rwsaunders
05-28-2007, 10:21 PM
It sounds like a couple of guys are back in the saddle. Cheers to you.

We had great weather, (2) 40 milers, (1) soccer match, (2) Little League games, (1) Memorial Day parade and a family cookout. I'm ready to hit the rack and head to work tomorrow. These 3-day weekends are killers.

RABikes2
05-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Friday- 3.11 easy miles
Saturday-Zero miles
Sunday- 24 easy miles Sandy
I'm very sorry to hear about Gloria's Mom, Sandy. It's good to read that your brother came through his surgery well. Keep us posted.
Glad you're back on the bike; it does help. Keep it up! ;)
RA

gasman
05-28-2007, 10:49 PM
As for me. Did about 2 hours both Friday and Saturday in anticipation of a really hilly RR on Sunday. Got to the race late and found people milling around and things felt strange. Me and my pal hit the registration desk and right after we paid, they informed us that they were cancelling the afternoon races (1/2 and Masters). There was a mega crash a few k from the line on a down hill run to the finish in one of the earlier races. A total of 20 guys went down. The race promotor (who's a good friend and training partner), said one guy "wasn't expected to make it." It instantly put me right back to a place I was 2 years ago when Christoph and I were the first on the scene of a downed rider who was killed instantly after striking a pole on a closed circuit. I wanted out of there and as I was heading towards the door, I was intercepted and taken to the gym where the offcials were making the official announcement and giving us the option of donating our race fees to the guy's family.

Of course everyone agreed to do so. We later found out that although the young man isn't dead, his injuries are very serious and he's currently in ICU. This sport can tear your heart out.

Today I took my wife and 9 year old daughter and we rode the bike path with some friends and had lunch.

What a bummer-I heard a short news story on the radio but I missed the details. It must have been the 4/5 group I assume. The family must be in shock-what a shame.

I rode Old McKenzie Hwy to Sisters and back with 3 other guys. Perfect weather clear,sunny and calm. No cars, the road is closed to cars, but lots of fir needles and gravel on the west side. 80 miles of painful bliss with stunning views of the Cascades.

Orin
05-28-2007, 11:49 PM
75 miles on the front of a Calfee tandem on Sunday (Pro2 Race 25s with as much air as I dare for those tuning in from the Ruffy Tuffy thread).

Park at a cafe on the west side of Blewett Pass in WA, ride up the pass, plummet down the other side downhill for twenty-odd miles, a few miles through some orchards (uphill and into a stiff wind, ouch) into the faux Bavarian town of Leavenworth. A quick sub sandwitch and reverse course. Thankfully, the wind is mostly blowing us back up the pass.

Half way up the pass we turned off and took the old Blewett Pass road. I think we saw about two cars going over the old road. The surface can be a little broken up and there are some rock falls to dodge, but it was almost a perfect day for it. Sunny and not too hot. Views were awesome. A few miles down the other side, we rejoined the main highway and a headwind (there's always a headwind here). A group of our faster riders were in sight ahead so we wound it up to 30mph into the wind on the gentle downhill and gradually reeled them in :)

The ride's objective was to get back to the cafe before it closed and eat pie. We made it with 50 minutes to spare :)

Orin.

Bruce K
05-29-2007, 04:14 AM
Friday, 25 miles to let off steam after substitute teaching with the first grade class from h*ll.

I joined some old freinds for a Saturday morning "Breakfast Ride" and ended up doing 55 miles of various efforts and terrain (who in their right mind detours to climb the biggest hill in the area?).

Sunday 45 miles with a nice sea breeze for company. After 7 seasons of riding the North Shore of Boston, I would still like to know how you can have it in your face in BOTH directions?

Monday wet roads and a few passing showers in the AM. Family cookout in the PM. Mileage = 0 but we had fun.

BK

1centaur
05-29-2007, 05:04 AM
Rode all three days, 65, 53 and 62, all over 18 mph average which was a first for me (usually get a slower day in there somewhere). Yesterday when I got home my wife said, "You look icky..you're all covered with white stuff."

I guess today is an easy spin on the trainer.

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2007, 06:41 AM
Friday, 25 miles to let off steam after substitute teaching with the first grade class from h*ll.BK

I found the mental image of you trying to deal with a first grade class, uh, well, interesting to say the least! :eek: ;) :rolleyes:

Anyway . . .

Saturday . . . 7am "men's ride" for the local bike shop. The women's ride goes on a slightly different route and pace, then we all meet at Starbuck's. ended up with 25.5 miles.

Then at 11am I went to do a charity ride over at Union college. I figured I'd do the 25 miles loop, then zip home, shower, and go meet my girlfriend at the picnic we were going to. So I start out on the 25 loop--by myself. I had to start at the announced starting time to make my meeting time and everyone else wasn't ready quite yet.

So I head out west down the bike trail, then route 5S, then cross the river and on out route 5. Wide shoulder on a well traveled highway--against a 20 mph headwind. Ouch. I get to the turn at Swart Hill Road where the big climb begins and stop to catch my breath--or let my breath catch up with me. I look at the map again where it says "25 mile loop" and THEN turn it over to look at the cue list, which makes it clear the ride is actually 32 miles! And I'm only at mile 14.1! ***?!? I don't have time to do 32! So I turn around and time trial back to town, pasing other bemused charity cyclists as I fly down the road seemingly the wrong way. 33.4 miles.

But the picnic goes great, as does relaxing at her place and just . . . doing . . . nothing.

Sunday . . . I'm at her place and she took off to do a couple of gardening jobs. Arranged with a friend who moved over that way to go for a ride with him. Haven't ridden with him since last summer, so I'm really looking forward to it. So I look at the map--no big deal. Looks like fly over to his place and we go for a ride. Looks like, oh, about 4 miles from the map. Quick . How hard could it be?

Oops. Forgot to look at the map scale. And the elevations. It's 9.9 to his house. Up. Down. Up. Up some more. Down not nearly enough. Up some more. What?! I'm already in my 27? Cr@p! 9.9 to his house. Smoke curling out of my heart monitor by the time I turn into his driveway.

We proceed to do 25 "easy" miles. Up. Down. Around. Up. Up. Up. One decent long descent. Dodge pedestrians and glass as we pass the speedway. . . . "SUN-Day! SUN-Day is FUN-Day at Lebanon Valley Speedway!!!!!!!" turn off the highway. Up. Up. Gentle up. More gentle up. KNEE grinder up! Ouch. Back at his place. I gratefully accept a ride from him back to my car at the GF's. 32 and some change miles.

We go to another picnic that afternoon. I just sit there. Stick a fork in me. I'm done.

Monday . . . Sleep late, go to lunch and a walk with GF, my daughter, and her two kids and a friend of theirs. First time all the kids have met. They don't kill each other. Success. Zero miles, but who cares.

BBD

djg
05-29-2007, 06:59 AM
I had a very good weekend, even though I barely got on the bike. It was the first weekend in about a month that I didn't have to do any work. We loaded the kids and stuff in the car and headed down to the water to visit friends in Virginia's "northern neck" area. Bunch of eating and drinking and catching up with folks I don't see enough. A bit of swimming and boating. I did sneak off for a quick little ride of maybe a dozen miles Sunday, and another very, very short ride with my 9 year-old daughter that same day.

It's back to work now (on the bike).

Tom
05-29-2007, 07:17 AM
Today I'm resting because I'm a little sore (and hungover... we had a grilling at my house yesterday and dessert was Stout Floats. Two scoops ice cream, a shot of Kahlua and an Imperial Stout in a tall glass. Kahlua because the liquor stores were all closed and I couldn't get any blackberry brandy) and when I compare my miles to yours it's pathetic.

Anyway...

- Saturday 49 west of town, just one hill but a lovely day. Made 240 for the week. Passed BBDave on the way in, turned and attempted to catch him to say hello but never caught sight of him again. Apparently he was in a hurry. Saw his ride, noticed three kids from Union running the cleanest paceline I've seen in a while. Quick little punks too.
- Sunday 40 flat recovery day. I'm accustomed to heading out and my body saying "I'm tired." This day it was beyond that, saying "I'm hungry." For the first ten miles or so all I could think about was food. I just rolled along wondering why every day has become a recovery day lately.
- Sunday 57 up to Lake Desolation and back. Stiff, stiff breeze trending perpendicular to my route the whole way, nice because headwind sections were mercifully short. Then the aforementioned barbecue. Grilled steaks, horseradish potato salad, roasted pepper salsa and grilled corn. Yum.

This weeks plans: 45 tomorrow west of town, 32 Thursday, Friday off and Saturday 125 up to the farm.

Ozz
05-29-2007, 08:16 AM
40 miles Saturday....35 miles Monday...oh, and smoked ribs and Copper River Sockeye for dinner yesterday! :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2007, 08:48 AM
- Saturday 49 west of town, just one hill but a lovely day. Made 240 for the week. Passed BBDave on the way in, turned and attempted to catch him to say hello but never caught sight of him again. Apparently he was in a hurry.

What were you wearing? Was that you in the blue Cornielle jersey under the Exit 26 bridge? I wondered who would have one ofthose around here except me . . .

AND . . . after thos pics, it's official. We ALL meet at OZZ's house on July 4 for a cookout. Ozz, can you accommodate all 300 of us in your beasement, please? Gee, THANKS! :rolleyes:

BBD

BURCH
05-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Ozz, I am now hungry for BBQ in the 9am hour! That looks too good. Is that your smoker?

My wife and I headed to Mammoth Cave National Park for a weekend of camping.

Mtn biked and then met friends on their boat Saturday
Caving on Sunday - The caves definately surpassed my greatest expectations
Epic mountain bike ride yesterday

old_school
05-29-2007, 09:12 AM
I rode to work every day ... got home about 15 hours later ... somebody's got to feed you people.

Hardlyrob
05-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Well...not nearly as much as RA, but overall not bad.

28 on Saturday morning, which confirmed that I really hate riding in the morning. Started slow and painful on a new route. Made a wrong turn and ended up way west of where I wanted to be - North Andover. Finally figured out where I was and worked my way back home via some busy and unpleasant roads. First 10 miles 16.6, last 10 miles 18.4 - I'm not a morning person. Next time copy the map, don't just try to remember where to turn.

To echo Bruce K - why WAS the wind in my face both going out and coming back?

The rest of the weekend was a gradening blitz - planting the annuals, weeding all 18 beds, replacing a maple tree and roses that didn't make it through the winter, planting the veggie gardens - Sunday 0, but it felt like 60.

Yesterday, more gardening and weeding, 4 miles walking the dog and 32 in the afternoon.

I'm planning on 30 this afternoon, and a club ride tomorrow evening of about 35.

Cheers!

Rob

fiamme red
05-29-2007, 09:30 AM
I made the discovery yesterday that a Clif bar wrapper won't last indefinitely as a tire boot. After 150 miles, it failed and I had to replace it with another Clif bar wrapper. Time for new tires, I think. Too bad, I really liked the old ones (Vittoria Open Corsa clinchers).

I pulled over to the side of the road to change the flat and a big black dog came out to greet me. He was growling at first, and seemed pretty hostile, but when he saw that I wasn't intending to tresspass he just lay down in the sun and watched me make the repair. Good dog!

bigman
05-29-2007, 09:31 AM
About 40 on Saturday, 65 on Sunday and about 25 miles fixed on Monday inluding one pretty big climb (for Long Island) riding on Long Island's North Shore really is beautiful - and on Monday no traffic to speak of. Very summer like - more like a July 4th weekend.

Of course and a bit of wrenching as well.

RABikes2
05-29-2007, 09:32 AM
40 miles Saturday....35 miles Monday...oh, and smoked ribs and Copper River Sockeye for dinner yesterday! :beer:
I'm so dang hungry right now. The food photos are making me crazy. Thanks, thanks a whole flipping lot...now I have to go find something to cook. I did however, make some great grilled pork chops yesterday w/ baked potato, zucchini, spinach, and broccoli. Err...there was nothing leftover. Oh :crap: , I'm HUNGRY! Cherrios, yep, I got Cherrios, that's gonna hafta do for right now. :p
I'm suppose to do a 375 miler this weekend. Can I pre-order dinner from you Ozz (I liked your menu too, Tom!), so it'll be here for after the ride? :D
RA

znfdl
05-29-2007, 10:00 AM
Saturday 0 miles
Sunday 0 miles
Monday 40 miles

A nice wekend.

fiamme red
05-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Saturday 0 miles
Sunday 0 miles
Monday 40 miles

A nice wekend.There's a catch, no? Did you do 250 miles on Friday? :)

RABikes2
05-29-2007, 10:11 AM
There's a catch, no? Did you do 250 miles on Friday? :)
That was too funny...I was thinking znfdl was leaving out some "details", too! :p Have you started to taper for your ride?
RA

znfdl
05-29-2007, 10:21 AM
That was too funny...I was thinking znfdl was leaving out some "details", too! :p Have you started to taper for your ride?
RA

Definitely in Taper Mode. I am just commuting to work this week, 40 miles round trip, but keeping my heart rate below 130.

Probably will do a 30 mile ride on Saturday and maybe Sunday.

Also, my in-laws took the kids out of town for the weekend, so I actually got to spend some quality time with the wife.

Steelhead
05-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Rained off and on in Austin all weekend, but I was able to get in a really nice 40 mile loop early Saturday am. The sky in the west was very dark and ominous and the sky to the east was partly cloudy with some large thunderheads thrown in. And the road I was on ran north/south and seemed to cut the line right down the middle between black on one side's horizon and cloudy on the other. Nice. Never rode again until Monday eve when I couldn't stand it any longer and snuck out for an hour between rain storms. Ran into a guy I knew on the way home and we chatted which is always nice. I am really "getting to know" my new CDA and we are bonding quite nicely.

Seramount
05-29-2007, 10:59 AM
Another Austinite who was dodging rain showers all weekend...tried to keep the new bike dry and clean, but that quickly proved futile...oh well, cleaning parts gave me something to do while I watched all the classic WWII movies.

Managed to get 107 miles for the weekend, am liking the Ti ride more with each ride.

davids
05-29-2007, 11:14 AM
I'll start back on Thursday, just so I don't look too bad compared to RA!

Thursday: 16 miles from 6:00 to 6:50 am. Then coffee-shower-commute.

Friday: 26 miles from 6:15 to 7:45. I met a group at 6:30, and we did some Blue Hills climbs. I'd been avoiding them for a couple weeks, and it felt good to do some sustained climbs. OK, it actually felt good after doing some sustained climbs.

I left work early for my daughter's final track meet - Stood around in the 95 degree heat and schmoozed with other parents. It was nice. Then my family drove 400 miles to Rochester, NY.

Saturday: After a short night's sleep on a lumpy fold-out, I decided take advantage of the ladies' shopping expedition and go for a long ride. So, I set off in the general direction of the Finger Lakes. I almost made it to Honeoye Lake before I began to think I'd bitten off more than I could chew - The hills are bigger than around Boston, the convenience stores less, um, there. And I hadn't slept all that well, either. I turned around and head back to my in-laws, ending up with a respectable 43 miles. But fewer than I'd hoped for...

Sunday: My daughter's 14th birthday. I'd brought her new bike (thanks again, Ed!), and my wife and I set off with her for her inaugaral ride. We headed out into the country under threatening skies. After about 25 minutes, she wanted to head back - She hadn't really been on a bike in almost a year. This was definitely a case of tiptoeing into the water... 10 miles at a leisurely pace. I think psychologically she was afraid of over-doing it. She definitely low-balled it - later that day, she went out and ran a couple of miles!

Monday: 26 miles. There were some nice looking roads on the way to the restaurant we'd eaten at on Saturday night, so I headed out toward the Erie Canal. I ended up riding out to Victor and back, before packing and loading the bikes on the car for the drive home.

...and speaking of the drive home. As I accelerated away from the toll booth after entering Massachusetts, the car suddenly started making very bad noises. Two and a half hours later, we were back on the road in a rental. Our bikes are padlocked to a chain-link fence behind the repair shop. The car, which has a stripped sparkplug screw hole, isn't going to be ready until Saturday. At which point I get to drive across the state and back... :crap:

Ozz
05-29-2007, 11:26 AM
...Grilled steaks, horseradish potato salad, roasted pepper salsa and grilled corn. Yum.....
Double "YUM!!"

I slacked a bit on the side dishes...broccoli & garlic bread. I like the sound of of your sides better!

...We ALL meet at OZZ's house on July 4 for a cookout......
BBD, if you make the trip, the least I can do is feed you! ;)

...Is that your smoker?......
Yes. I've had it a couple years now....Brinkman "Cimmarron", or some thing like that. It is made from quarter inch steel plate and weighs about 200 lbs! I don't move it around much. It does a nice job smoking, and suffices for grilling. It doesn't open up like a regular grill, so manuvering the tongs and spatulas can be tricky.

dauwhe
05-29-2007, 11:45 AM
The plan this weekend was for back-to-back-to-back centuries, as training for Paris. Need to get used to riding while tired... Saturday was lovely, a rather hilly route through western Massachusetts--Greenfield, Leyden, Colrain, Heath, Rowe, Monroe, Florida, North Adams, and then back through Savoy, Plainfield, Ashfield, Conway, and Deerfield. Had to walk up part of Kingsley Hill Road in Monroe. Can't believe how steep that was! And East Hoosac Street was quite the monster climb...

Rode from Greenfield to the Boston area on Sunday, which was pleasant enough, and back to Greenfield on Monday, which wasn't so fun. It was amusing getting stuck in several Memorial Day parades (Stoneham, Woburn, Concord), but the route back through central Mass. was miserable; all bad roads with too much traffic and too little scenery. And I was just cranky anyway. But the last twenty miles were lovely, as I was finally on quiet local roads in the beautiful evening light...

Dave

Steelhead
05-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Another Austinite who was dodging rain showers all weekend...tried to keep the new bike dry and clean, but that quickly proved futile...oh well, cleaning parts gave me something to do while I watched all the classic WWII movies.

Managed to get 107 miles for the weekend, am liking the Ti ride more with each ride.

You know it! We sure are having nice weather lately. I was on 360 Sat. AM and rode what we call the Red Bud Loop, really nice. Hopefully the weather will hold and I will be at Nelo's Group Ride Wed. PM

shoe
05-29-2007, 11:57 AM
znfdl-had the right idea as far as i'm concerned....saturday during work i start planning in my mind where i will ride on sunday....i decided my goal was to do under a hundred miles since i've been gettin in some long days....rode to the bike shop and did a quick forty with the group...this woman that was 57 was totally rockin it out....maybe getting older isn't so bad after all....last 5 miles she took a diffrent root back saying her legs were tired.....man so were mine i just didn't tell anyone....speed isn't my thing i guess...we were chased down by a pitbull with some serious speed and stamina.....not a good sign when there is no barking and gets a running start across the yard.....luckily the bite attempts were misses ....gets the heart going though.....ended up with 60 miles after all the visiting coffee and food were out of the way......yesteday ====4 mile round trip to pick up wine for dinner..luckily no headwinds.....dave

Kahuna
05-29-2007, 12:24 PM
It was awesome! Rode 2/3 days. Here's a pic from my home office window of Haleakala. The observatory on the summit is just visible.

This is what it looked like on Saturday's ride! No clouds. Glorious sunshine.
Too bad I broke a rear spoke at about 9,000 feet! The descent was very sketchy!

chuckroast
05-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Man, I'm embarrassed to post after seeing some of these entries but here goes. We visited and stayed with our adult son in rural Arkansas this weekend, rode all three days in glorious weather and climbed some big A** hills.
Saturday: 17 miles
Sunday: 22 miles
Monday: 17 miles

All completed by 8 ish each morning so the rest of the day could be focused on family time.

hybridbellbaske
05-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Hey BumbleBeeDave,

Good news about the GF and the kids getting along OK!

Best wishes,

RABikes2
05-30-2007, 12:52 AM
The plan this weekend was for back-to-back-to-back centuries, as training for Paris. Need to get used to riding while tired...
Dave
That was the reason for training back-to-back centuries for me too, Dave. August and PBP isn't that far away, is it?! :eek: It'll be here in no time at all!
RA

William
05-30-2007, 06:23 AM

Silverton?

William

BumbleBeeDave
05-30-2007, 06:45 AM
Hey BumbleBeeDave,

Good news about the GF and the kids getting along OK!

Best wishes,

. . . thank you, sir! Things are going well so far. Of course, she hasn't seen me in the full zebra suit yet! :eek: :rolleyes:

BBD

William
05-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Got up Saturday morning and looked out side to guage the weather. Looked good for a ride so I called the boys to hit the road.

William
05-30-2007, 07:32 AM
After about 20 miles we found a great Hulka Lime aid stand...how could I resist? Quite a few other characters showed up there too.

William
05-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Then Spoke and his biker gang showed up and started causing trouble. Santa and I went into action to take them down....

William
05-30-2007, 07:35 AM

RABikes2
05-30-2007, 07:35 AM
That, my dear Cuz, was too cute! :p
Cuz RA

William
05-30-2007, 07:37 AM
I finally got Spoke into a headlock and made him cry "UNCLE"!!!

William
05-30-2007, 07:38 AM
Sunday I had to Life guard at the pool. Forgot my sun block too. I got fried.

William
05-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Man, I get no respect.... :crap:

William
05-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Monday......I jumped off the roof just for the heck of it. Beungood and Hans bet me I couldn't do it. Stupid me. Man, it hurts to type. <groan> Man, I won't be riding for a while.....

William
05-30-2007, 07:43 AM
banzai!!!!

William
05-30-2007, 07:44 AM
<I candoitIcandoitIcandoit.....>

William
05-30-2007, 07:45 AM
<Oh man...grounds coming up fast.....>

William
05-30-2007, 07:46 AM
OOOOOOFFFFFFFF!!!.........mommy.

William
05-30-2007, 07:52 AM
That, my dear Cuz, was too cute! :p
Cuz RA

Hi Cuz!

I forgot to mention, Stevep threw me in the pool on Sunday. Sneaky little guy....and stronger then he looks!

William ;) :D

RABikes2
05-30-2007, 08:10 AM
It doesn't get boring around your place, does it?! :p :p

William
05-30-2007, 11:40 AM
It doesn't get boring around your place, does it?! :p :p

You know me Cuz, always have to keep things interesting. ;)

Cuz William