PDA

View Full Version : Today was my lucky day!

Spectrum Bob
05-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Today was my lucky day!

I was out today doing my first unsupported century – my wife did a charity ride last week that was a 100 miles the 1st day and 40 miles the 2nd – my daughter an I volunteered for the event and had a great time supporting my wife – we trained together for the long ride so today I decided that I did not want my training to go to waist so I rolled out early for my own century.

It is great living here in Maryland because you just don’t know who you are going to run into – around the 65 mile mark I am being passed by a cyclist and I hear hi Bob – I look over and it is the dashing Too Tall with his most beautiful wife the Queen – I was fortunate enough to tag along – sip iced tea and share some scones and sat in on one of the best wheels you could ever ask for – I hung with them for about an hour – Thanks Too Tall & Queen you are the best!

Then at about the 86th mile I ran into my buddy Victor who is an animal and another fun person to ride with – he insisted on pacing me home – we flew – he rode me to my door saying that you need a witness to an unsupported century or else it doesn’t count – Thanks Victor you rock!

This was my first unsupported century and it is great to live in an area that you might start a ride like this alone but it usually doesn’t end that way.

Bobby P.

Len J
05-27-2007, 08:28 PM
waht you give!

Nice story...congrats on the century.

Len

Spectrum Bob
05-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Len,
Thanks for the kind words.
Have you done your big ride yet?
Bobby P

Kevan
05-28-2007, 06:47 AM
can share with your story Bob. Last year during my century quests, where most were unsupported, well, my friends saw to it that they weren't. It was nice having them tag along for all or part of the ride.

Not one century done this year so far. And likin' it!

Congrats!

Too Tall
05-30-2007, 06:29 AM
:) BugSplatBuddahBob - Pleasure was all mine. Funny that. Often I have a similar experience when riding long in the area. Typical, I'll come across any 1/2 dozen folks I know in an 6 or 8 hrs. ride. I guess great minds think alike :)

BumbleBeeDave
05-30-2007, 06:34 AM
Can you get TooTall to ride up my way and let me draft on him for some of MY rides? ;)

BBD

Too Tall
05-30-2007, 07:20 AM
Sure, how's the coffee up thar?

mdeeds71
05-30-2007, 09:13 AM
Funny in CA I was always seeing people in the club or that I know from races...Here in PA I have only seen one other on the road at the same time as I was riding. Now granted I have yet went out on one of the Sat/Sun rides that some of the shops here have but, they just don't get out like they do in San Jose, CA.

Too Tall
05-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Does anyone really work in CA? ;)

Can you get to Trexlertown? That place is a MECCA for classy riders.

Ray
05-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Funny in CA I was always seeing people in the club or that I know from races...Here in PA I have only seen one other on the road at the same time as I was riding. Now granted I have yet went out on one of the Sat/Sun rides that some of the shops here have but, they just don't get out like they do in San Jose, CA.
Where do you ride in PA? I ride mostly in Chester County (and surrounding states and counties) and Too Tall is probably the only person I HAVEN'T run into on the road up here. And I don't even ride all that much on weekends. I'm constantly seeing people I either know or, at least, recognize from multiple sitings.

-Ray

mdeeds71
05-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Ray,

I am in Easton PA...i.e. Lehigh Valley. My local dealer is in Doylestown and thus a nice 65 mi round trip.

Anyways...we don't see many on the roads here as we do in NJ (Bridgewater) and Philly burbs.

I guess I will make my way to trexeltown to look around.

znfdl
05-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Today was my lucky day!

I was out today doing my first unsupported century – my wife did a charity ride last week that was a 100 miles the 1st day and 40 miles the 2nd – my daughter an I volunteered for the event and had a great time supporting my wife – we trained together for the long ride so today I decided that I did not want my training to go to waist so I rolled out early for my own century.

This was my first unsupported century and it is great to live in an area that you might start a ride like this alone but it usually doesn’t end that way.

Bobby P.

Bob: Congrats!

Ray
05-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Ray,

I am in Easton PA...i.e. Lehigh Valley. My local dealer is in Doylestown and thus a nice 65 mi round trip.

Anyways...we don't see many on the roads here as we do in NJ (Bridgewater) and Philly burbs.

I guess I will make my way to trexeltown to look around.
I guess there just aren't as many folks up in the Lehigh Valley. Great riding though. If you haven't done it, you should definitely check out the Gap Gallup century in the fall. Beautiful ride, somewhat difficult from mile 25 to 75 (climb Blue Mountain, rolling descent down to the river, along the water gap for a while, rolling climb back out), but a relatively mild final 25. If you have done it, you already know.

Cheers,

-Ray

Len J
05-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Len,
Thanks for the kind words.
Have you done your big ride yet?
Bobby P

Mid-August.

Len