PDA

View Full Version : JRA failure

Erik.Lazdins
05-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Went out for a ride with a friend who moved to Houston a couple years back. We rode for a couple hours and then split up. As I roll into my driveway my cell phone rings.

My friend's aluminum handlebar broke JRA and he went down. Some road rash, but otherwise okay.

His last crash was a light one about 2 years ago. These bars were normal non-superlight aluminum bars.

Check your bars and be safe out there.

bostondrunk
05-27-2007, 06:55 PM
My friend's aluminum handlebar broke JRA and he went down.

I'm feeling kinda drunk after three martinis, so I'll ask.......what the hell is jra?

1centaur
05-27-2007, 07:05 PM
JRA=Just Riding Around, the point being no severe trauma precipitated the equipment failure. It's frequently been debated whether JRA failures really occur or are just claimed by people looking for warranty replacement.

CJH
05-27-2007, 07:14 PM
I thought it'd been concluded there aren't any JRA's...

Erik.Lazdins
05-27-2007, 07:24 PM
My friend who crashed was accelerating and the bar sheared off at the stem.

My point was that the bar had been through a crash some time ago and failed today.

2LeftCleats
05-27-2007, 07:33 PM
How exactly, do you check bars to avoid this? Give 'em a hard jerk before the ride?

-dustin
05-27-2007, 07:43 PM
guy came into the shop a few months ago, saying he needed a new bar and fork after having crashed JRA.

shows me his bar and it was blatantly obvious that the faceplate had been tightened way, way too much. as such, it sheared...taking out his fork, also.

Erik.Lazdins
05-27-2007, 08:51 PM
guy came into the shop a few months ago, saying he needed a new bar and fork after having crashed JRA.

shows me his bar and it was blatantly obvious that the faceplate had been tightened way, way too much. as such, it sheared...taking out his fork, also.

I noticed the stem had a sharp edge at the bar interface which is in contrast to my Nitto stem that has a smoother edge.